G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

2008 G35c Release Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:01 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FamousG
Are you kidding? The majority of Inifiniti's sales are from the G35 Coupe. It's the car that turned Infiniti around and made them a competitor in the luxury market. Before that, the luxury segment was lacking in the $30-35k sports department. Maybe where you're from it's different, but here in CA, where the auto sales market gets the most impact, the G35 Coupe has a dominant presence.
I agree. The coupe and sedan sell very similarly, especially in the summer time and places where temperatures are warm all year round. The Upper Midwest, especially in my area, probably doesn't see very many G35 coupes due to the lack of ability to use it year 'round. Plus, many of the dealers up here only get an inventory of a few coupe and a crapload of G35x's. In the southern areas, I can see where the coupe would sell like hotcakes.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N50
I agree. The coupe and sedan sell very similarly, especially in the summer time and places where temperatures are warm all year round. The Upper Midwest, especially in my area, probably doesn't see very many G35 coupes due to the lack of ability to use it year 'round. Plus, many of the dealers up here only get an inventory of a few coupe and a crapload of G35x's. In the southern areas, I can see where the coupe would sell like hotcakes.

Yup- thats what it is in Madison Wisconsin, where I am at. I was just on the Infiniti lot last night- they lave a lot FULL of G Sedans, FX35's, M35's and a few QX56's. There are 4 coupes on the lot, 4 of the original 5 that were on the lot this spring. Of course, they are burried in snow right now and don't look like they have moved in a long time. When I buy one, I may have to go to a bigger market to get one (ie- Chicago) loaded exactly like I want. I can drive for a week and not see a G Coupe on the road. I guess they aren't as popular in Wisconsin as they are elsewhere. I seem BMW's all over though...

Old 02-04-2007, 03:10 AM
Z2G
Originally Posted by G-WannaBe
I drove the 335, it is fast but boring on the outside, so I am waiting to compare. I bet they will end up close in performance, but the G will still be the better value. The chicago dealer is saying the same thing other people have said, about 330 in HP, june to august arrivial.
I agree. When my wife and I saw the new 3-series coupe the other day, the first thing out of her mouth was that it looked like a Honda Civic coupe (previous design).

Old 02-04-2007, 01:27 PM
It's very unlikely that you'll see an engine choice OR AWD option on the coupe. It just doesn't make sense when a single 320-340hp engine would satisfy 90% of the potential customer base, and the other 10% would bitch about it but buy it anyway.

Everyone always seems to want AWD on all these sports cars. I see the same thing on the Corvette Boards, and I just don't get it. AWD adds cost, weight, complexity, redcues gas mileage, and doesn't really help on-road performance except for standing start launches. Even then, launching an AWD high hp car from 6000rpm only increases the chances of drivetrain damange.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:44 PM
N50
Originally Posted by Jahan
Everyone always seems to want AWD on all these sports cars. I see the same thing on the Corvette Boards, and I just don't get it. AWD adds cost, weight, complexity, redcues gas mileage, and doesn't really help on-road performance except for standing start launches. Even then, launching an AWD high hp car from 6000rpm only increases the chances of drivetrain damange.
Here's the thing though...The G35 is NOT a sports car. It is a luxo "sports" coupe or Grand Touring coupe. It weighs 3500+ pounds minus AWD. You're right, AWD does add weight and complexity but the majority of G35 owners do not take their cars to the track. To have all wheel drive on the coupe would allow someone like me who wants two doors but the all year round use of AWD. Therefore I can have the luxury, tech, passing power when I need it, security in winter driving, and have only two doors. I think it would be a good idea.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:24 PM
The problem is, people that need AWD and year round practicality typically DON'T buy 2dr coupes. I just don't see Inifiti doing it. Plus, all the "rumors" of it seems to be started by people like you who just WISH it would happen but really don't have any knowledge of it.

Nissan typically does not offer many engine/driveline choices in their vehicles. 350Z, Maxima, Sentra?, Titan, Armada, G35 all only include ONE engine choice. That is quite rare these days, but it seems to work for them. It's one way they are able to compete with BMW and Lexus but at a much lower cost.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by abs220
Yup- thats what it is in Madison Wisconsin, where I am at. I was just on the Infiniti lot last night- they lave a lot FULL of G Sedans, FX35's, M35's and a few QX56's. There are 4 coupes on the lot, 4 of the original 5 that were on the lot this spring. Of course, they are burried in snow right now and don't look like they have moved in a long time. When I buy one, I may have to go to a bigger market to get one (ie- Chicago) loaded exactly like I want. I can drive for a week and not see a G Coupe on the road. I guess they aren't as popular in Wisconsin as they are elsewhere. I seem BMW's all over though...
+1 I visit Madison frequently, and I have seen a ton of 3 series, but hardly and G coupes.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Adw

On a small, low to the ground, $40k sports car, AWD will not convince the majority of owners to drive the car in the snow. I had a Mitsu 3000GT-VR4, AWD, AWS, and it was so low to the ground that driving in the winter required less then 6 inches of snow on the road, after that the car was "snow-planing" and at times, all 4 wheels could not even reach the ground. Most owners will not want to put a $40k coupe on the road AWD or not in bad weather. While AWD cars may make for better winter drives then top heavy SUVs, (notice I said MAY here, so lets not start the argument of which is better, a car or an suv) AWD sedans are also built with better ground clearance and more weight.

Bottom line is you might have no trouble at all in 80% of snow storms driving with a 2 door AWD car, but for those large storms, or unplowed roads, I would not chance it. Up here in New England, while this is a very mild winter, even front drive cars can loose the battle with the right snow fall. IF I could not drive my car all year long, then my choice is a pure 2WD sports car, and a winter beater. This is my opinion, not the only choice, just mine.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Z2G
I agree. When my wife and I saw the new 3-series coupe the other day, the first thing out of her mouth was that it looked like a Honda Civic coupe (previous design).
Not only that, but it was borderline plain dull. the interior is over simplified, the brake lights on the sedan have more appeal then the coupe, the wheels on the higher packages are snoozville, the 328 gets better looking rims, and yes, it has gobs of HP up the you know what for very fast driving, and the engine sounds great, but i will not pay over $44k for 'drives fast sounds good looks like as exciting as a bowl of split pea soup'.

My apoligies to the BWM lovers out there, its not a bad looking car, but they could have done a lot more to spice it up. That said, the new G sedan could have gone a little farther too, but it was a very good step forward, and the coupe looks to be more on edge then the sedan in the released drawings, so lets hope it lands at a dealer soon, like next week would not be soon enough!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:23 PM
March Motor Trend sez...

....... 3.5 liter V-6, 306 hp . No mention of AWD or engine options. Speaks to "improved body stiffness", "improved speed sensing P.S. and that's about it mechanically. Coupe "benefits immensely from more refined interior."

Kind of digs Infiniti by summing up as follows, "Could be King Of Hill Sport Coupe, if not for new 335i" OUCH !

However, there's a great picture and IMO no 335 LOOKS like the new G. Boy's she's a beauty ............

The mention was brief and pretty much summed up in the above ....... page 66.

Almost forgot - no release date given.

Last edited by Bigguy2000; 02-05-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added date
Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigguy2000
....... 3.5 liter V-6, 306 hp . No mention of AWD or engine options. Speaks to "improved body stiffness", "improved speed sensing P.S. and that's about it mechanically. Coupe "benefits immensely from more refined interior."

Kind of digs Infiniti by summing up as follows, "Could be King Of Hill Sport Coupe, if not for new 335i" OUCH !

However, there's a great picture and IMO no 335 LOOKS like the new G. Boy's she's a beauty ............

The mention was brief and pretty much summed up in the above ....... page 66.

Almost forgot - no release date given.
Good early find. That sounds like an accurate very brief desecription. Some, including me will be disappointed there is not more power available. AWD is still a question it seems.

I agree with you about the looks of the G compared to the 335i. No doubt Infiniti will sell a lot of cars on the visual appeal alone.

The mags probably don't know the release date since Infiniti is so secretive.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 AM
I wonder if the 3.7 liter is out of the quesiton or if they were just speculating. The road and track article made it sound as if the 3.7 liter was going into the coupe.

I guess it makes more sense for the sedan and coupe to have the same 3.5 liter, although it seems they would be handing over the power race to BMW. My initial assessment was that Infiniti would keep the 3.5 liter as on paper it has more power than the BMW (306 vs. 300) - and Marketing can play that angle. We all know the difference though.

The commercials for the new G35, just say "G", so that had me thinking the 3.7 liter was also a possibility.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:48 AM
N50
Hmmmm...I guess with all of the 3.7L speculation, this news it kind of interesting to say the least. I guess we'll learn more about the coupe as time drags on toward April.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Why the hell would anyone want to a buy a 3 series coupe? 45k+ for 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, yea no thanx! (Plus it doesnt even look that good!)

Old 02-06-2007, 05:35 PM
N50 and RBull, sorry for sounding rash in my last post! This anxiety is just getting to me. I'll continue to sound grumpy until an official launch!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 G35c Release Update