G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

See The G37 In Person At Stillen Sat 6/9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 pages of notes, and it seems an obvious question was missed.....

DID ANYONE ask Stillen about performance mods!!!!!!!!!!?????????

After all, you were seeing this car at one of the well known partners for speed enhancements! Did not 1 person ask this question, and why in 10 pages (on this web site especially)has no one asked this question: When and what will stillien release for the engine? SC or T or TT?

Old 06-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what i gathered from the website was that the car was only going to be at Stillen for the duration of the event. no more. i doubt they had enough time to start any worthwile R&D, but it certainly would be good!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Yin-Yang and Life
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...upe/index.html

I really like that first road test review. They even mention about the Infiniti G37's looks...

Our initial impressions of the new exterior design were mixed - we were afraid that the G37 looked watered-down when compared to the old G35's aggressive stance. But, we changed our minds when we saw the two G Coupes next to each other in person. The new car's front end, which looks soft and Lexus-like in pictures, looks muscular and tough in person. And the rear, which looks strangely naked without the large Infiniti badging, is quite similar to the old car - which is a good thing. Overall, it's a subtle evolution of a great design.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:35 PM
one thing i can already see is straight tailpipes instead of the ones they have that kind of dip down wasting more HP

Old 06-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Yimbie

I really like that first road test review. They even mention about the Infiniti G37's looks...

Our initial impressions of the new exterior design were mixed - we were afraid that the G37 looked watered-down when compared to the old G35's aggressive stance. But, we changed our minds when we saw the two G Coupes next to each other in person. The new car's front end, which looks soft and Lexus-like in pictures, looks muscular and tough in person. And the rear, which looks strangely naked without the large Infiniti badging, is quite similar to the old car - which is a good thing. Overall, it's a subtle evolution of a great design.
After seeing it in person, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:41 PM
^ thats what im trying to explain to people. First off i don't believe the color choice made in presenting the g37 was a good choice. I dont think grey was such a good choice. I belive that in person the car is a great looker. Stillen photos are making me go crazy over this car. The color was a hell of allot better then the one used in the test drive and for those who complained about the chrome spoiler they were presented with a alternate option. Im sure with the non sport bumper the car is gonna be even hotter unfortunatly stillen didnt have the non sport bumper. it maybe curvier as a car but i dont think its necessarily a bad move.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:46 PM
try to look at the new G37 in this perspective... remember back when the G35 coupe was first introduced shortly after the release of the 350Z, it left people breathless, the design was unparalleled at the time and for that sole reason the G35 was an immediate hit... now here is the point i am trying to make, the G37 is just the beginning of the second generation G, sure it won't have the same initial reaction as the G35 first did but thats because we have been exposed to something like it where as we weren't with the G35.... of course people will have their criticisms and critiques of the new G37 but its going to be much more stringent this time around as we have something to compare the G37 to... people have some patience, i'm sure once people have seen the new G37 in person as well as once the modding frenzy begins those intitial attitudes will quickly change.... but for now to each his own ....

Old 06-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Its the some angles look good some look like *** from what I keep seeing....growing.

Heres a pic example that makes it look like an eclipse with the bubbly rear

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh.../photo_07.html

Old 06-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Yin-Yang and Life
I can not wait until the G37 comes out. Looking at the same pictures over and over and over again is killing me lol. When I first see my G37, I'm going to run over and give it a great big hug... well not really but that should send you how much I'm looking forward to it. I agree with RacerB355 when he says that the G37 is going to be more harshly analyzed because now the G coupe has something to compare to. I remember watching an old video on youtube.com when the 2003 G35 came out and the only thing they could compare it with is the 2003 Nissan Z.

The G37 is going to be a big hit. After it's release, the name G37 will take place of G35. Everyone that I've talked with that is actually interested in cars knows exactly what I'm saying when I mention G35. I've talked with a few of them about the G37. When I mentioned G37, they were like "G3...7?!?". I'm looking forward to seeing more surprised faces.

I personally believe a lot of people are sad because they're going to have the "older generation" and thus criticize the new generation and be very critical of it and find any criticisms that they could find and also elaborate on the criticisms that other people have made (I've seen it way too often and admittedly, I've done it myself with other cars where I try to FIND reasons and excuses to why the new car is worse because I'm jealous). My brother who has the 2003 G35 admitted it himself (he's getting the 335i Coupe anyways so he's fine with admitting it). Now please don't flame me because of these comments. Like I said before, I believe a lot of people, NOT everyone, but a lot aren't happy with having the older car.

Just look at the 3-series coupe for instance... whenever it's mentioned where I go to school, people immediately think of the 2007 3-series coupe... not the 2000 model... unless it's the M series but that's a different story. You don't really hear people wanting to get the 2006 model (last year of the older generation) instead of the 2007 because exactly how many people would prefer to get the older exterior, older engine, older suspension, older interior, and such compared with the brand new exterior, brand new engine (which is amazing), brand new suspension, brand new interior (eh.. it's alright, not the best, but it works). I like comparing this to fashion... lets say that slippers are the new in-thing in the fashion world and lets say that high heels is the thing that's going out. The sayings "It's what's in." and "That was so last year." should give my point across.

I believe eventually, especially with the new title (G37), the "past" car and the "current" car will easily be distinguished and thus have different reactions. I think I will be jealous when the G39... 41... 43... whatever comes out in... 2013?? but it's perfectly fine, it's human nature to be jealous.

The design of the G35 definitely won't be classic until many years later when it's harder to come by. I don't understand why people are saying that it's a classic design when it's still very much around... to me, when it came out in 2003 it didn't give the impression of "OMG that's a classic design!". When it came out... it was more of "OMG that's a new and beautiful design!" but never a classic... I think some people are getting "new and interesting" and "classic" a little mixed up .

As time goes by... the excitement and constant comparisons will go down and the jealousy will just fade away. I'm looking forward to seeing the battles between the G37 and 335i Coupe from many perspectives (as in from many different car enthusiast websites and magazines). It's going to be fun. Anyways... woohoo for the G37! A beautiful evolution of a stunning car.

Also... I want to see pics of the G37 in black exterior and black interior... ARG! Why is it that every G37 that I've seen have the stone interior? Does Infiniti feel that stone interior shows the interior better than the black? I personally do not like gray interiors on any car or silver on the exterior of any car... so the first shots from both the NY Auto Show release and testing were double whammies to my visual senses. I really hope I get to see pics of the black/black combo soon. Also what I find puzzling is... why is the black interior called graphite?? while both graphite colors for the exterior are silver?? Hmmm...

Last edited by Yimbie; 06-14-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"Classic Design" is not something reserved for older cars. Some cars have classic design as soon as it is born. The G35 Coupe is one of such cars, that's why it left people breathless at the NYIAS back in 2002. The G35 Coupe has curvatures seen in 60's sport coupes without getting too busy in details. The BMW 6 series is another example of this, and the likes of S2000 and Miata. These cars are what you would consider as 'instant classics.' Just because there are tens of thousands of these cars roaming around doesn't mean they are not sexy as sin and make you stare.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can not wait until the G37 comes out. Looking at the same pictures over and over and over again is killing me lol. When I first see my G37, I'm going to run over and give it a great big hug... well not really but that should send you how much I'm looking forward to it. I agree with RacerB355 when he says that the G37 is going to be more harshly analyzed because now the G coupe has something to compare to. I remember watching an old video on youtube.com when the 2003 G35 came out and the only thing they could compare it with is the 2003 Nissan Z.

The G37 is going to be a big hit. After it's release, the name G37 will take place of G35. Everyone that I've talked with that is actually interested in cars knows exactly what I'm saying when I mention G35. I've talked with a few of them about the G37. When I mentioned G37, they were like "G3...7?!?". I'm looking forward to seeing more surprised faces.

I personally believe a lot of people are sad because they're going to have the "older generation" and thus criticize the new generation and be very critical of it and find any criticisms that they could find and also elaborate on the criticisms that other people have made (I've seen it way too often and admittedly, I've done it myself with other cars where I try to FIND reasons and excuses to why the new car is worse because I'm jealous). My brother who has the 2003 G35 admitted it himself (he's getting the 335i Coupe anyways so he's fine with admitting it). Now please don't flame me because of these comments. Like I said before, I believe a lot of people, NOT everyone, but a lot aren't happy with having the older car.

Just look at the 3-series coupe for instance... whenever it's mentioned where I go to school, people immediately think of the 2007 3-series coupe... not the 2000 model... unless it's the M series but that's a different story. You don't really hear people wanting to get the 2006 model (last year of the older generation) instead of the 2007 because exactly how many people would prefer to get the older exterior, older engine, older suspension, older interior, and such compared with the brand new exterior, brand new engine (which is amazing), brand new suspension, brand new interior (eh.. it's alright, not the best, but it works). I like comparing this to fashion... lets say that slippers are the new in-thing in the fashion world and lets say that high heels is the thing that's going out. The sayings "It's what's in." and "That was so last year." should give my point across.

I believe eventually, especially with the new title (G37), the "past" car and the "current" car will easily be distinguished and thus have different reactions. I think I will be jealous when the G39... 41... 43... whatever comes out in... 2013?? but it's perfectly fine, it's human nature to be jealous.

The design of the G35 definitely won't be classic until many years later when it's harder to come by. I don't understand why people are saying that it's a classic design when it's still very much around... to me, when it came out in 2003 it didn't give the impression of "OMG that's a classic design!". When it came out... it was more of "OMG that's a new and beautiful design!" but never a classic... I think some people are getting "new and interesting" and "classic" a little mixed up .

As time goes by... the excitement and constant comparisons will go down and the jealousy will just fade away. I'm looking forward to seeing the battles between the G37 and 335i Coupe from many perspectives (as in from many different car enthusiast websites and magazines). It's going to be fun. Anyways... woohoo for the G37! A beautiful evolution of a stunning car.

Also... I want to see pics of the G37 in black exterior and black interior... ARG! Why is it that every G37 that I've seen have the stone interior? Does Infiniti feel that stone interior shows the interior better than the black? I personally do not like gray interiors on any car or silver on the exterior of any car... so the first shots from both the NY Auto Show release and testing were double whammies to my visual senses. I really hope I get to see pics of the black/black combo soon. Also what I find puzzling is... why is the black interior called graphite?? while both graphite colors for the exterior are silver?? Hmmm...

I haven't heard a single person that I know say they like the G37 Coupe from the outside more then a G35 Coupe. I think Nissan/Infiniti hit an instant homerun with the G35 coupe because they got everything right. For me the best case scenario would have been a G37 which was just our G35 Coupe body with all the new bells and whistles (engine, breaks, interior..) I like the new G37, I plan on ordering one Saturday, but I like the body style of my G35 Coupe much more. The G35 didn't have to "grow" on anyone because the second you seen it you loved it, the G37 on the other hand it's taking time for people to like it (some still dont like the body lines on it) It screams Tiberon which is scary but I will get used to it I am sure.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 AM
^^ I like the G37 exterior better than the G35 exterior. There, now you have one (actually I guess you still haven't heard" it).

When I think of this conversation, I think of the 1984 Corvette. When it first came out, it was a complete departure from everything else up to that point. Surely, an instant classic!! 0-60 in under 7 seconds!! Well, there one of the cheapest you get now.

For fun: 1984 reviews:

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...-corvette.html

"You have waited long enough. So let's get it over with right now: the new Corvette is a truly stout automobile. It is all that the fevered acolytes so desperately wanted their fiberglass fossil to be — a true-born, world-class sports car loaded with technical sophistication."

Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Ditto that......

I really liked the G35 when it came out, and wanted to buy one badly, but did not have the green to buy anything brand new.

I like the G37 even more, I think it is a growth and good movement forward from the previous gen, and has much more to offer in the way of looks, styling cues, all around it is a much better looking car then the 35. (and the 335, IMO)

I understand why the 35-ers are still in love more with their cars, they should still love their cars, it is still the same car they wanted more then any other car out there. But more and more you see people saying some of the same things those of us who saw it @ the NYIAS show 2 months ago said back then. The photos do not do justice to this car, and in person it is a a whole different ball game. This car will be a hit, how much of a hit remains to be seen, but some people were calling this car DOA 2 months ago and calling on Inf to give it up before it even hit the market.

Lets let sales decide if it will sell more or less then the 35, but either way I think she is a great looking car - in the mean time I whish I could go out today and testdrive her now!

So now you have 2 people you 'sort of know' who like her better then the 35. Check with the sales reps in a few months, I am betting the more who see it in person will understand what we have been saying that in person she is a much better looking car then in the photos.

Now who will make the first TT for this bad boy? Should we just wait out the GTR or do you guys think an aftermarket TT will hit the streets first?

Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Well I guess that I will make it three. I prefer the exterior and interior of the G37 to the G35. I was planning on getting a 335 until I saw the photos for the G37.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Yin-Yang and Life
I was either planning on getting the 2007 335i Coupe or the 2007 IS350 back months ago. What the 335i gave to me was performance, handling, and just in all a great driver's sports car but not really the luxury and styling. What the IS350 gave to me was the opposite. Now since the G37's photos (I am sure it looks so much better in person than photos), I can get the best of both worlds. A high performance luxury vehicle.

#4 to the list! Just wait until the G37 is actually released and see how many people talk about it. You aren't going to see a whole ton of people on these forums saying that they like the G37 better than the G35 considering the audience. For example... I showed my parents the G37 photos from the Infiniti website and they both immediately thought that it was a new Lexus (which is a compliment considering that they only buy from Lexus for their luxurious style). My father hates the look of the current G35 (he says that it looks like a frog) so he wasn't happy when my brother bought his G35 coupe despite my father. My brother and I both think that it looks great. My parents both like the G37 a lot more than the G35 both inside and out. Now I use this example because they're a different audience than lets say the typical person from g35driver.com. My parents are both in their 50s and korean (that does play into it for them) and only buy luxury vehicles (Lexus when it first came out--Cadillac before it) and aren't people who look at G coupe/sedan forums. My brother doesn't even look at G coupe/sedan forums because he doesn't care for them. We are a small percentage of total G buyers.

It's all about the people that you talk with. I have met many people who like the G37 better than the G35 and then again, I could be talking with a completely different audience. I've spoken with my brother and he likes the G37 better than G35, and he doesn't care because he's getting rid of his G35 for the 335i Coupe... and then again I've spoken with a stereotypical "gansta" (oh geez sorry, that's the only thing I could think of) who bought a brand new G35 (in May and never knew about the G37) and is completely defensive and hates anything about the G37 (including the interior) because maybe 1. he hates the idea of a new one coming out... 2. he didn't know that it was coming out and would have waited if he knew (jealousy)... 3. he could just not like the G37 more than the G35.

- a different thought -
I really like that the upcoming G looks more luxurious than the current G. It happened the same way with the G sedan (luxurious yet sporty). I also haven't read a review where they think that the new G sedan is worse than the past G sedan in both performance and styling; if any of you can find one, please link it for me! I'm glad that Infiniti is going in that direction, I mean.... considering that they are supposed to be the luxury division of Nissan (I wonder what the upcoming M and new flagship will be like). Infiniti definitely needs to get its name in with the top companies (some are Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, and BMW). Right now it's with the likes of Acura. I'm glad that this new upcoming generation is being compared with Lexus and BMW because it tells me that Infiniti is going in the direction that I know I would take it if i was head CEO (luxury and sporty for this vehicle). All the first test drive reviews that I've read have commended the more upscale look and better performance.

Come on Infiniti! You can get up there! You can't compete as a company unless you have a flagship!

Last edited by Yimbie; 06-14-2007 at 11:45 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: See The G37 In Person At Stillen Sat 6/9