G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand why people are complaining about the ~200lbs increase. That's about 1 1/2 passengers (or one really fat one ). I mean it's no big deal. I rather keep all the cool gadgets they offer then sacrifice them simply for the sake of weight reduction.

I also don't understand the complaints about performance. For that price point, I think it is more then fine. I would rather they keep it as is then increase the price to the 335i level just to beat it.

BTW, I have no loyalty to Infiniti, heck I don't even own one nor even a Nissan product. I'm not even sure I will make the plunge with the G37 just yet. I was really really interested in the G35 since it was release but for various reason, I never pulled the trigger. This G37 might just do it as it brings luxury and performance that I've been looking for. It might just convince me to join the Infiniti family.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 AM
DeJaVu

These last 3 pages remind me of the exact same arguements we all had back on April first, pratically word for word w/o the speed discussions cause no track numbers were available.

Yim- read the pages and pages of those posts from the launch in NYIAS and you will see the arguement in a different light.

We spent a lot of time boiling down the 35v37 tempers to a few good solid points....

Original G35 coupe buyers felt as if Infiniti left them hanging when the changed the Concept into the Phat and sporty little ride that hit the press in the end of March. They stayed with the G back when everything was new, had initial issues, and poured tons of money into the cars and were loyal to the tune of both time and money. Then in 06 the concept came out, and they all wanted that exact car. When it hit the street for real, it was not what they were hoping for, and the numbers were not dramatically increased (except for slight increase in weight) - they felt Infiniti left them with no future car to buy. They were (many) not at first in love with the pics, being that they were not great shots that has changed somewhat, but long story short they saw a sports car with some Lux ammenities morph into a Lux car with some sportiness as an after thought.

What they hoped for and saw in concept form did not come about, and all of us who are new the the G37 and think it a great car have not been loyal brand lovers (and owners since i myself liked the original G back in 03) because we are not owners who have poured our blood, earnings, and 1.1 million modding hours into them.

We all agreed to disagree- what this car has turned into IMO was to get more buyers in general, not go after specifically the pure true sports car market w/o trying hard to be an upscale lux car at the same time.

I think they did what they had to do to fight BMW and also simply surrvive as a car company, gain more buyers with a more wide-appealing car in general. A great car at that, but the sports car crowd wants speed, that is fine. It is what they should expect if this car were to aim for a smaller market and only appeal to pure enthuasists, but the DD folks would walk, and the car would not truly compare as evenly as it does to the 335s.

They can dislike what the car has turnned into all day long, we have not been there as long as they have to come to the next gen, be promissed a concept, and get a lux coupe with some sportiness- it was not what they hopped for and so they have a right to be wanting for more. I have not owned a G so I have a blank slate to come to the table with, and I would be lucky to own such a car as this. Of course more speed is always welcome, but for what it can do for what it will cost - this is a very nice car.

Infiniti could have poured more into this car if they chose, but would then then either price this equal to or above the 335? Who would buy a $44k G37 with 350HP but not the name of the Uber car set? Would they eat sales away from a $55k 430ish HP GTR (if that is where the low model lands) - all questions they had to consider when the designed where this car would fit into the market.

After many many pages, I finally got back in April why they cut the car down a bit, and I can't say I entirely blame them, how would we feel in their shoes?
Before anyone replies who has not read all those posts, go check them out.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bloodhound
Just for purposes of numbers, put out a max spending limit and then lets see what "can" be done for that price (which will include the purchase of the car).

How about 50k? We'll take it from there......
So so we even know what the purchase price for the G37 will be yet?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
The Music Box works great. It does have a few minor quirks, but overall I think it works darn good. It would be nice to rip MP3s directly to the MB, however I think Infiniti wanted to avoid issues with RIAA and you can only rip audio CDs to the MB. The CF card works extremely slick.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your 335i, it's a sweet car. You got the same color as Kevin (picus) didn't you?
hehe yes sir, im a follower not a leader

any info on mods for the hard drive ? (image drive and replace with larger version)

Old 06-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by jackygor
thats pretty good in my book.

face it guys, those of you who are not happy with the g37's performance is not because its not a good improvement over the G35, but it is because the g37 does NOT out perform the 335i.
g37 vs 335i performance was never the major factor. gas mileage was. if infiniti could retain the current power lvls with the 3.7 and provide = gas mileage as the 335i... it woulda put me back on the fence. i could care less if it outperforms the 335i. but 16mpg with my current 05 g35 is friggin horrid. im getting 22 mpg with my 335i doing the same driving... if i was easy on the pedal I'd expect 24-26 during my rural driving.

I need to justify to myself ... "why am i buying the 2008 G37 ?" is it much faster then my current car, does it provide any major improvements ? The answer was mostly NO. face it the g37 is a refresh.

ppp

Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 AM
the comparison between the 2 is easy.
G37 is probably as fast as 335 in summer, slower in winter/cold weather.
G37 fuel economy sucks, it'll probably rattle like a ****.
335 dont got a LSD but handles great even without it.
and most importantly THEY'RE BOTH FUGLY AS ****.

that's how g37 toppled the 335!!

but at the end the comparison between the 2 isnt everything. there are other factors too.
for instance we were showed that really HOTTT concept that boosted our expectations about everything in the car. next thing we know is we get something as slow as the G35. what a ****ing improvement!

so is the g37 worth getting? yah why not, it's "CHEAP"! (altho you pay the difference in gas!)

Last edited by mantisG35; 06-27-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Man, if $500 in gas a year difference is the decider for you guys you need better jobs or work closer to home.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
Man, if $500 in gas a year difference is the decider for you guys you need better jobs or work closer to home.
LOL, could not have said it better myself!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
its not about spending money on gas... its about conserving gas... or bang for the buck if you will. I drove my g35 like a baby and the best i could get was 16-17... people look at me and say i get better with my my SUV. If anybody wants to say well this is what you get for a performance engine... the corvette gets better highway mileage and its a more powerful engine.

ppp

Old 06-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well that becomes an issue with R&D and general engine technology. The VQ is a great engine, but it's old. They just added variable valve timing and it doesn't have direct injection. Nissan, because of their push to save money (which I totally understand) doesn't want to spend the money developing new engines. This has worked well for them clearly, the VQ is in how many of their cars? The benefit for us is lower cost cars. There is a reason the G37 is such an insane bang for the buck.

BMW, Lexus, etc... normally develop a new engine every generation, usually two or three of them, this is what works for them because they can in turn sell that engine technology. The benefit for us is engines with the newest tech, and the best power:economy they cam come up with. I often see people say BMW "had to use turbos" to do what the VQ does or that they somehow skimped on the R&D, and I couldn't disagree more; the N54 is a brand new engine from the ground up. Had they wanted to just put a 300+hp inline 6 in they could have detuned the e46 m3 engine.

Each method has it's own benefits, but in this case Infiniti suffers on mpg, but makes up for it in cost savings and the "known" quotient - we all *know* this new iteration of the VQ will likely be reliable (though the rev ups have had some issues, it probably will be), whereas the N54 is an unknown. How long will the turbos last? How will the block take higher boost when modding, etc?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
i can say the same. i can say find yourself a better job that can make you able to afford a nicer car. again, enough with childish comments.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by picus112
Well that becomes an issue with R&D and general engine technology. The VQ is a great engine, but it's old. They just added variable valve timing and it doesn't have direct injection. Nissan, because of their push to save money (which I totally understand) doesn't want to spend the money developing new engines. This has worked well for them clearly, the VQ is in how many of their cars? The benefit for us is lower cost cars. There is a reason the G37 is such an insane bang for the buck.

BMW, Lexus, etc... normally develop a new engine every generation, usually two or three of them, this is what works for them because they can in turn sell that engine technology. The benefit for us is engines with the newest tech, and the best power:economy they cam come up with. I often see people say BMW "had to use turbos" to do what the VQ does or that they somehow skimped on the R&D, and I couldn't disagree more; the N54 is a brand new engine from the ground up. Had they wanted to just put a 300+hp inline 6 in they could have detuned the e46 m3 engine.

Each method has it's own benefits, but in this case Infiniti suffers on mpg, but makes up for it in cost savings and the "known" quotient - we all *know* this new iteration of the VQ will likely be reliable (though the rev ups have had some issues, it probably will be), whereas the N54 is an unknown. How long will the turbos last? How will the block take higher boost when modding, etc?
the engine is great. a v6 producing 300-330 hp is a great achievement especially with its displacement.
Audi's S4 engine is a V8 producing 340 hp and it's 4.2 liter for instance. I think the VQ is great.

but since you're at it, could you have an explanation about the dead hooker body in the trunk of the G37?

Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Yimbie
Why are you making senseless posts like these? I don't understand... Why are you so against me on everything and out to get me? because I love the G37 and want to defend my ride that I know I will love and a company that I really like? I didn't know that was so bad. PLEASE help me understand why you're here... I do genuinely want to know. (this is not meant to be taken as an attack or anything... I honestly do want to know)

I want all of this to stop right now... I am sick and tired of posts like these because they're really offensive to me since it's pretty much directed to me. You're ruining my time here on this G37 forum... just you. I'm fine with everybody else... well excluding one other person who I will not name. If you want to attack me... please, do it in private tells. I want this to cease, end, whatever... just please leave me alone. I have no idea what I did to deserve this... you make me feel like the whole world is against me and it really hurts that there are people in this world like that. *sighs*

I apologize if I have hurt you in any way because I really don't mean to do it. A lot of people misunderstand what I say and it's difficult sometimes to get the message across the way it should be because it is the internet and not real life.

I personally believe in the "Yin-Yang" philosophy... so if there is something really negative (like an attack on the G37), I feel like I have to balance things out with a positive (a counterattack or positive view). You have been making just such negative posts all the time... so that's why I have to counter them so much.

*sighs* I can't wait until the G37 forum becomes like the 2007 G35 sedan forum... I just tell myself that it will become that way because it did happen for the next generation sedan, next generation 3-series, and next generation IS... I know it will happen for the G37 also. It's really sad that next generation cars have to suffer through this every single time.

:lol don't worry, a lot of is here like the g37....there are more who share
your interest in this car than you think....we just don't post a lot.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by dec55
:lol don't worry, a lot of is here like the g37....there are more who share
your interest in this car than you think....we just don't post a lot.
Perfectly stated, I am one who likes the G37 and ordered one. However, I don't feel the need to respond to people who post they don't like it. I respect everyones opinion, but in the end it does not really matter what they think, so I just sit back and listen to people complain about the same thing over and over again. It is kind of like letting the little kid scream and cry himself tired over nothing, then he will pass out and go to sleep. So just keep your cool Yimbie and focus on the big day!!

Last edited by InfinitiFreak; 06-27-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
Perfectly stated, I am one who likes the G37 and ordered one. However, I don't feel the need to respond to people who post they don't like it, because in the end it does not really matter what they think, so I just sit back and listen to people complain about the same thing over and over again. It is kind of like letting the little kid scream and cry himself tired over nothing, then he will pass out and go to sleep. So just keep your cool Yimbie and focus on the big day!!
Cool in what colour??? That blue sate looks pretty sexy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!