General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Switch over to Synthetic Oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switch over to Synthetic Oil?

i'm almost at 38k miles, and I need to do an oil change but I was wanting to switch to synthetic...

after some researching, all of the threads i've read so far dealing with synthetic oil changes has been after the first or 2nd oil change...is it like...not good to switch over to synthetic now or what? how does it all work? and why the hell is it so hard to change the sparkplugs?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
You haven't been running synthetic oil in your car? I would put your car up on jackstands...drain the oil and just leave the oil plug out all night and let as much as possible drain out. Put in a cheaper synthetic (pennzoil or castrol)let the car run for a couple hours or something and then change it again with mobil 1.

-Sean

Old 07-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
You haven't been running synthetic oil in your car? I would put your car up on jackstands...drain the oil and just leave the oil plug out all night and let as much as possible drain out. Put in a cheaper synthetic (pennzoil or castrol)let the car run for a couple hours or something and then change it again with mobil 1.

-Sean
I'm at 32k miles and changing to synthetic my next oil change prob in 2 weeks. I was just planning to put in some Mobil 1 and call it a day though, without any of the letting it drain overnight and switching it again and all that stuff. Does it really matter?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by tragedycat
I'm at 32k miles and changing to synthetic my next oil change prob in 2 weeks. I was just planning to put in some Mobil 1 and call it a day though, without any of the letting it drain overnight and switching it again and all that stuff. Does it really matter?
Putting in a oil and letting it run and then draining it again probably doesn't do much at all. If anything it will just help get out of some that "crap" oil. I would let it drain for atleast a couple hours to get out as much as possible.

-Sean

Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Putting in a oil and letting it run and then draining it again probably doesn't do much at all. If anything it will just help get out of some that "crap" oil. I would let it drain for atleast a couple hours to get out as much as possible.

-Sean
This is some of the worse advice I've ever seen. Just change it out with your choice of quality synthetic(pennzoil platinum+german castrol>=mobil 1) and use a normal change interval. No need to "flush" the "crap" oil. What a waste

Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
This is some of the worse advice I've ever seen. Just change it out with your choice of quality synthetic(pennzoil platinum+german castrol>=mobil 1) and use a normal change interval. No need to "flush" the "crap" oil. What a waste
That is why i said it probably doesn't do much If it did anything it would just help get out the old oil. That is what i was saying. The "crap" oil i was referring to is the dinosour oil not the synthetic oil.

-Sean

Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so then its okay to just switch it over? I mean Yeah i could do the oveernight thing i guess, but not sure about putting in the cheaper syn and then put quality syn cause that would be a waste of my $$$ lol

Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by chinabean
so then its okay to just switch it over? I mean Yeah i could do the oveernight thing i guess, but not sure about putting in the cheaper syn and then put quality syn cause that would be a waste of my $$$ lol
Like i said, putting in a cheaper synthetic oil and then draining it again probably won't do much at all. It will just help get out of some of the old dino oil. You don't have to let the car sit over night either. Just a couple hours. Get out as much of that dino oil as possible.

-Sean

Old 07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Like i said, putting in a cheaper synthetic oil and then draining it again probably won't do much at all. It will just help get out of some of the old dino oil. You don't have to let the car sit over night either. Just a couple hours. Get out as much of that dino oil as possible.

-Sean
What would be the point of that, rather than simply letting it drain out the next time the oil was changed?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
waste of money...just change it as normal .....as long ur oils r the same (5w30 or 10w30)

Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
If you change your oil at fairly frequent intervals, it almost doesn't matter which oil you use. That is if you are NA and drive somewhat normal. I'll admit, I change at around 4k and have used Castrol, Mobil 1 and I'm now on Penzoil Platinum. I'm hoping the PP has a better oil consumption rate than the Mobil.

In short, you're okay to switch at almost anytime as long as the engine is in good working order and you're not using some odd ball ultra thin stuff.

Even if you go to a Mobil 1 or Penzoil Plat, they are still made from non-sythentic base stocks.

If you want a true synthetic, you have to go to something like Amsoil.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^+1.

i just use Mobil1 silver cap every 10k miles or once a year. i dont drive my G
more than 7500miles a year so once a year is more than enough for me.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
you will be fine to switch to synthetic.. just depends on how much you drive your car..

Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
synthetic just last longer than regular oils (expiration date,mileage)
this mean..u have to change ur REGULAR OIL every 3 months even u put 100miles on it...the additvies in the oil do expire and go bad.

Last edited by cutiewolf; 09-12-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
MOBILE 1 5W-30 !!!!!!!!!!!! about 24 $ for 5 quarts DO IT NOW !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switch over to Synthetic Oil?