General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

heater not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heater not working

I've got an 04 X Sedan with 85K. Heater not generating heat when in idle. Has been progressively worse the past 3 months. The A/C blower fans and controls seem to work. Heater/defrost blows air when car moving. Have had two opinions (1) water pump impeller deteriorating and not moving enough fluid and (2) air pocket in the heater core. Mechanic flushed heater. Hate to look at a new pump as it is a complex job.

any ideas welcomed

Old 12-06-2008, 12:40 AM
you checked the coolant level? if coolant is low that could be the problem

Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 PM
heater not working

my mechanic checked fluid levels and flushed the heater core.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:56 PM
is your car overheating at all? any change in the temp gauge since it started? im not sure if the water pump has plastic propellers or not, but maybe they could be worn off.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:35 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
my 04 coupe is doing that right now as well...when I stop moving my heater cuts off....coolant levels are fine and everything...I think its either a faulty thermostat or maybe even the water pump

Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned
I am having the same issue (heat when driving, cold air when sitting)

??? I have searched and this seems to be a common issue, but what is the fix?

My Temp gauge is working correctly, and the car idles properly - is it a safe bet that my thermostat and radiator is functioning correctly?

Old 12-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I have the exact same problem...anyone have any ideas??

Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
I have the same problem even after installing a new thermostat!!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have this same problem it just started a week ago, I checked my coolant and it's at the proper level.

It blows cold air only when I drive or rev the engine then it quickly turns cold. It doesn't help that it's 37 degrees outside either. Has anyone found a solution yet?

Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
I fixed the problem.

Added coolant through the bleeding screw and bled it after a drive. I thought I had the right amount of coolant in there...

Thanks for the help guys!!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
I fixed the problem.

Added coolant through the bleeding screw and bled it after a drive. I thought I had the right amount of coolant in there...

Thanks for the help guys!!!!
^^^what about this?

I did some more searching and found these:

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...nt-change.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...-problems.html

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3143360-0..._heat_in_cabin

http://www.nissanforums.com/a34-2004...heat-idle.html

Seems the problem is an air bubble that needs to be burped out. I'm going to try keep looking and try getting the air bubble out.

Last edited by mt7rabbit; 12-08-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Question Huh?!

!!IMPORTANT EDIT " My car is not overheating at all ---- " My car is driving and functioning great - no temperature rise/drop.

Heat was coming out of the vents cold only when I was idle - As long as I am driving the car around the heat comes out great- it's cranking hot!

Once I idle the car it begins to cool very slowly until its all cold again....about (5 to 10 minutes)

Took the car into Infiniti Dealer - Paid 125$ for flush/fill coolant and 65$ for a full inspection of the vehicle.

They do the flush/fill heat was working fine after I left.

48.Hours Later -- Heat is coming out cold again when I idle - but if I keep driving the heat stays hot!

I have been checking for leaks of coolant around the engine/block/hoses/etc.

Nothing found to be leaking? I hear the "Water gulping" from inside the car while I am starting to begin to drive. I just bought a thermostat I have not installed it yet- however I don't think that is going to fix it anyway - but that is why I am here.

What have all you found to be happening after this? I have searched the forums and found a few good threads and will continue to post this and read more.

Thank you all for any help or time you give me -

Joe

Old 12-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This should be a sticky!!!

Here is the problem and solution.

The problem is that the antifreeze concentration is to sometimes too strong from the factory and/or you have let your level drop too much and there is an air pocket in the system.

The solution is to check your concentration with a gauge available from any parts store and make sure it's set correctly. (Always set it at the lowest temperature possible for your area. Example: We are in Charlotte, NC and the coldest it ever gets here is 10 degrees. If we were to have a lower temp, and the car is a daily driver, I wouldn't worry about it until it drops below 0. Even then, it would only be for a short period and I would loosen the radiator cap to relieve possible pressure. If you park in a garage, buy a cheap space heater and set it on it's lowest setting.)

Once you have done this, take the bleeder screw out of the line on the passenger rear side of the engine compartment and verify you have coolant in the line.

Put everything back on and fill your overflow to the max line. Start the car with the windows down and hold the revs at 2500 rpm with the heat on manual / vent / high fan and hold your fingers about six inches away. When your fingers get so hot that you can't hold them there, let the car drop down to idle. Do this procedure over and over until the heat stays hot at idle (I've had to do it seven times on one customers car).

Check your overflow tank again and refill if necessary.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Thumbs up Hey !

Well I just wanted to reply to your post.

There are 3 more posts with this same subject - the links are searchable.
"heat" "cold heat" "heat cold when idle" "heater not working"

I have had my car at the dealer twice.

They flushed/filled the coolant twice.

My car still doesn't stay warm after about 5 - 10 minutes of idle.

I think that this is just a rediculous issue and it can not be fixed.

I have reason to think that this is something they engineered incorrectly .

We are the only people on here talking about it because we are the ones dealing with the blistering cold and the "cold-idle heat issue"

I hear what your saying about using the proper coolant. However I am sure Infiniti dealer's have the right coolant.

I just think they "f**ked up" this on the Engine/Coolant system and that is it.

I have had this system done by the "PROS" and it is still not 100% sufficient.

The car is 5 years old it has 51k miles on it and quite simply I think "hey, it's just the way it is when a car ages"

I may be mistaken or maybe incorrect and just not knowledgable - however I have tried to take the proper procedure and results are null.

So - please do respond. I am just hear to absorb and learn and am greatful to your response.

It's just not changing the resolve of my issue..

-Joe

Old 12-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Ohio G Club moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
air in the coolant lines..bleed your lines should solve problem..theres been like 10 threads concerning this problem,please use search option!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: heater not working