General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

13 gallons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 gallons?

hi i recently bought a 05 auto coupe. i just filled up my tank today and i could only fill it up to 13 gallons. from what i know gas tank holds up to 20 gallons. and i got gas when that needle was at da bottom on da fuel guage. after i got gas. my fuel gauge shows that my tank is FULL. i still have warranty on my car till april. did any1 have this same problem?

Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Hmm 20 gallons seems high..

Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by tt88supraman
hi i recently bought a 05 auto coupe. i just filled up my tank today and i could only fill it up to 13 gallons. from what i know gas tank holds up to 20 gallons. and i got gas when that needle was at da bottom on da fuel guage. after i got gas. my fuel gauge shows that my tank is FULL. i still have warranty on my car till april. did any1 have this same problem?
I just had my 04 Coupe in for gas gauge problems too. A few times I had the same problem you did, it would only take 12-13 gallons when the low fuel light came on. Another time the gauge showed one bar below 1/4 tank and I ran dry. I took it to the dealer and they said both fuel sending units in the tank tested bad and replaced them. I just got the car back yesterday so I don't know yet if that has fixed it but that is what they told me was causing the issue.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by yourdoinitwrong
I just had my 04 Coupe in for gas gauge problems too. A few times I had the same problem you did, it would only take 12-13 gallons when the low fuel light came on. Another time the gauge showed one bar below 1/4 tank and I ran dry. I took it to the dealer and they said both fuel sending units in the tank tested bad and replaced them. I just got the car back yesterday so I don't know yet if that has fixed it but that is what they told me was causing the issue.
i have sooo many things to fix its not even funny! my driver seat squeaks and my seal belt retrator doesn't retract. now this fuel ****? omfg. when will this end? good thing i still have my warranty!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Warranty FTW!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:26 PM
The sending units get dirty. Use Chevron gas and even add some Techron additive every few months. This has plagued the corvette guys for years and this is our "fix". Works great.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Todd157k
The sending units get dirty. Use Chevron gas and even add some Techron additive every few months. This has plagued the corvette guys for years and this is our "fix". Works great.
ya i put the techron additive yesterday. thats when i noticed how come i only put 13 gallons but my fuel gauge shows that my tank is full. i'm taking my G in monday to get some work done. and getting this fixed is one of em!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I've got an 03 6MT coupe with the same problem. I'm not under warranty anymore. Has anyone figured out how to fix this problem on their own?

Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by kchristian
I've got an 03 6MT coupe with the same problem. I'm not under warranty anymore. Has anyone figured out how to fix this problem on their own?
You can try using a fuel system additive like they suggested but other than that I don't know what you could do. The sending units are in the tank so if the additive doesn't work then it's just not an easy repair. My dealer charged one hour ($120) for checkout on the sending units to make sure that was the problem rather than the gauge itself. Somehow you will need to isolate the problem though so you know which route to go, if it's the gauge then fuel additives won't help anyway.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 PM
ya i took my car in yesterday to get it done and they said that it wasnt the sending units. i can't remember what though. i know they ordered couple parts to fix it. service guy told me to come back when i have less than quarter tank left. so without warranty i wouldve been f*cked!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by tt88supraman
ya i took my car in yesterday to get it done and they said that it wasnt the sending units. i can't remember what though. i know they ordered couple parts to fix it. service guy told me to come back when i have less than quarter tank left. so without warranty i wouldve been f*cked!
Let me know what they find the problem to be, will you?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:19 AM
Let me know what they find the problem to be, will you?
yup ill let u know

Old 03-04-2009, 12:34 AM
ok... i just got my car back today. they replaced da shutter valve. i don't know what that is. any1 know what shutter valve is? well... i haven't fill up my tank yet. i'm gonna fill it up tomorrow and well c how many gallons i can put now.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:07 AM
okay man, keep me posted. i know it was under warranty but did they say how much it would have cost?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:42 PM
okay man, keep me posted. i know it was under warranty but did they say how much it would have cost?
i filled it up yesterday and still only got 13 gallons in it. i'm sick and tired of taking my car in EVERYWEEK! i guess shutter valve wasnt it. no it doesn't show on my invoice paper how much it would have cost. it just says warranty work.

Last edited by tt88supraman; 03-05-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: wrong spell

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 13 gallons?