General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

The strangest leak..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The strangest leak..

Hey how's it going, I just went to get my alignment done, and the mechanic tells me that I have a leak somewhere in my car and it looks like it's the rack and pinion. I am VERY experienced with cars, and it doesn't look like it's coming from anywhere else. There's a bit of the leak on the transmission, but it isn't all over the place.

I changed my oil a few months ago, but I didn't spill any, regardless the leak or the "stain" looks like its all over the rack and pinion. The question for me is.. I have not been leaking power steering fluid.. if the rack and pinion was leaking, wouldn't I have to be topping off my power steering fluid every now and then?

My engine bay is very clean, and spotless. No other leaks, or issues other then that. I also have a torn bushing from where the lower control arm meets the knuckle, does anyone know that part number? And lastly, I just found out my lca/transverse link is knocked out of place! *sigh lol. I'm probably going to go try out whiteline or nismo bushings.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:22 PM
bump

Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know when my old maxima's rack and pinion blew there was a very large leak of thick black grease. Is the steering wheel hard to turn at low speeds? Just hope it's not the R&P cause that could be expensive.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check to see if your dipstick if fully seated. Mine wasn't at one time and I had it blowing oil out of the dipstick tube.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Caracicatriz
I know when my old maxima's rack and pinion blew there was a very large leak of thick black grease. Is the steering wheel hard to turn at low speeds? Just hope it's not the R&P cause that could be expensive.
Yeah it is hard to turn at low speeds and it's annoying. This sucks dude, this is my second rack and pinion!!!

Old 12-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a part number but I do have a digital copy of the Technical manual of the car If you want it. PM me