General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

prox key/ transponder DEAD question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prox key/ transponder DEAD question

Hey all,
So the keys went through the wash and trashed the transponder. Question is that I thought the prox chip was in the little slide out key itself. Shouldn't it work independantly of the transponder?

Next question... Can we program this ourselves through the obdII port?? Or should I suck it up and pay to have a locksmith do it?

Thanks

Old 12-16-2010, 02:00 AM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Not really sure but - I think the slide out key has a chip that is recognized at the ignition. That is sealed and should still start your car even after a wash cycle. But I don't think that's the same chip the door locks look for, that's via radio comm from the BCM to your fob when you press an unlock button.

I would guess the wash discharged your fob's battery but after the unit dries out it should come back to life (with a new battery)...

Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Skyline,
The car isn't recognizing the key now... I mean by proximity. It still works in the ignition.
After completley drying the unit, replacing the battery with a new one, I found that there was a short somewhere in the transponder. It worked for about 5 seconds then failed, and when I tested the battery it was down to 2.7V from the 3.1 when it was new.

So I bought a new transponder, trying to see if there is a way to program myself, instead of paying to have it done. With Christmas and all, the money needs to go to the presents for the wife and kids...

Thanks, -Dan

Old 12-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Your slide-out key is still good so KEEP that in your new fob. (This will save you some dough!) It's the "cut" of that key that opens the door, the embedded chip is only sensed at the ignition switch. This is NOT the same system used for proximity sensing, that's all radio back and forth between the BCM and the fob.
It looks like to "register" your new fob you'll need assistance. Here's the word from an '06 service manual:

INTELLIGENT KEY REGISTRATION
Intelligent Key-ID registration is performed using the CONSULT-II.
CAUTION:
● After a new Intelligent Key-ID is registered, be sure to check the function.
● When registering an additional Intelligent Key-ID, take any Intelligent Keys already registered and Intelligent Keys for any other vehicles out of the vehicle before starting.

CONSULT-II can be used to check and delete Intelligent Key-IDs.
For future information, see the CONSULT-II Operation Manual NATS.

good luck