General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

what spark plugs should i use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what spark plugs should i use?

hello everyone...im new here and new to the infiniti world as i just bought my first G35 its a 2004 with 90k miles.
very clean car and im in love with it.
i do my own mechanical work and recently did the oil and changed the air filter both were absolutely horrible.
i dont think the last owner ever did these things since the oil and air filter still had the factory nissan filters on it froim the looks of them anyway.
so i am expecting the plugs to be very old as well.
i am noticing a black dust builkd up around the muffler as my car is white and everytime i wash her the paint immediately has a black dust film on the rear bumper.
i think the plugs once changed out will hopefully change that.
so my question is that im looking for a cheap plug and not sure if getting the expensive ones makes a large difference.
if anyone can enlighten me on how much of a differnece plugs make.
i was looking at these 'Champion Spark Plug 975 Resistor Copper Plug' for about $4 a piece.
or i could spend $10 and get the iridium's or i can get the NGK 6376 Spark Plug for about $5 a piece. could anyone tell me if it would be ok to get the cheaper ones or should i go for the expensive ones?
thanks for any suggestions as im new to all this and would greatly appreciate any and all information shared.

thanks in advance for any help!!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
NGK all the way!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
you honestly want to get cheap $4 plugs when the much better plugs are only $9-10? G owners amaze me sometimes

go get NGK laser platinum plugs PLFR5A-11 (also known as stock # 6240)

Last edited by redpearl99; 11-21-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:46 PM
hey

i am asking because im new to this and wasnt sure if there was a difference with plugs...they spark and if one sparks for $4 what is the difference with a $10 spark??

can you explain why plugs can be such a difference in performance if all they do is spark?
any info is greatly appreciated as i soak up all knowledge i can.
im having fun playing with my car and want to do things right...and thats why im here asking questions redpearl99.

and what is the black dust accumulating around the bumper?
is this some residual carbon blowing out the pipe from the spark plugs not doing their job?
im also not much of a mechanic but i am a quick learner and have my garage dialed in with all the tools i need.... with impact wrenches and a hydraulic lift so no job is too big for me!

and the NGK laser platinum plugs LFR5A-11 are only $4.90 a piece, so i will be getting those for sure, if those are the recommended ones....thanks for the help on that red.

and i want to say thanks for the quick reply's people...you guys are great and such a help.

be nice

Old 11-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
If you live up to your username (love_my_G35), you should shell out the extra change for quality plugs. Pls don't cheap out on parts especially something so important as spark plugs.

The following users liked this post:
love_my_G35 (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 PM
hey

i am asking because im new to this and wasnt sure if there was a difference with plugs...they spark and if one sparks for $4 what is the difference with a $10 spark??

can you explain why plugs can be such a difference in performance if all they do is spark?
im having fun playing with my car and want to do things right...and thats why im here asking questions redpearl99.

is this some residual carbon blowing out the pipe from the spark plugs not doing their job?
im also not much of a mechanic but i am a quick learner and have my garage dialed in with all the tools i need.... with impact wrenches and a hydraulic lift so no job is too big for me!

and the NGK laser platinum plugs LFR5A-11 are only $4.90 a piece, so i will be getting those for sure, if those are the recommended ones....thanks for the help on that red.

and i want to say thanks for the quick reply's people...you guys are great and such a help.

be nice

Old 11-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by love_my_G35

be nice
you need PLFR5A-11 not LFR5A-11

the copper plugs won't last that long and will wear out much faster. Platinum plugs are much more consistent and will last much longer

And I doubt the plugs will change anything with the black residue on your exhaust

Trending Topics

Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 PM
thanks

im getting the NGK laser platinum plugs PLFR5A-11....I read your reply wrong.....oops

they are $10 a piece but not a big deal at all...i just wanna make sure im getting the right parts for my car.
i had no idea plugs can be such a big deal.....i will always get all the proper parts for my car.
im not a cheap *** but i will try to save money if there's no point in spending it.

i will have the plugs in by friday and let you all know how bad the old ones were.
considering the oil wasnt changed ever by looks of it and the air filter was the original one and was caked black to the point where you couldn't tell it was ribbed at all.

what is causing the carbon build up on the bumper???
is this something serious?
please if anyone can help me out on what it is thats causing it and if its something major.

again.... many thanks

Last edited by love_my_G35; 11-21-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: wrong plug part number
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
dont be suprised when you change those plugs and you see oil in some cylinders.. "crossfinger" yours dont have that.. every car has carbon build up i believe?? and no, its not serious...

Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 PM
good

im glad it nothing serious with the carbon on the bumper...
i found the spark plugs PLFR5A-11 6240 all 6 for $45.
thats a great deal i think.....considering they are $10.00 a piece usually.

so when i remove the old plugs there may be some oil on them?
that dosent sound right.... what causes something like that to happen?

im very curious as to the condition of the plugs but the car runs awesome.
the engine sounds really good and the car wants to haul all the time.

thanks again

Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 PM
its some common problem on our engine.. its because the seal around the sparkplug need to be changed. BUT, unfortunately nissan doesnt sell the seal it self and u gotta buy the whole valve cover. but vendor here, R&D sell the replacement. either you do it yourself ( which including drilling ) or they can send their's valve covers which has been modified for 250 bucks ( both of them ) and after you send urs, they will rebate for 100 bucks for core charge. or buy it from dealer for 300-400 each valve cover..

Old 11-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Basically, when you take out an ignition coil pack that's plugged into the top of the spark plug you might see some oil, like this:

If that happens then don't freak out, it's because the spark plug tube that's a part of the valve cover has a leak. If this happens then you need to replace the entire valve cover. R&D use to sell just the replacement seals but I dont think they sell them any more, so you'll have to swap out the entire valve cover. You can buy new valve covers for $170 new from OC Infiniti or your can buy used ones on the market place like this pair for $100

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ve-covers.html

If you find oil on the spark plugs then just come back and I'll walk you through the process for replacing your valve cover.

And make sure u'r always using an Inch/Lbs torque wrench and not a ft/lbs torque wrench when tightening everything to spec

Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 AM
ok..thanks for the heads up.
when i change the plugs and if i see oil can i put the plug back in and still drive or do i need to have the valve covers replaced immediately?
if thats the case i may just get the covers anyway and have them ready....i dont want to run into the problem and not be able to drive the car til i get the covers.

thanks!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 AM
you can just plug in the new plugs.. it still drive-able.. how about if you dont see any oil? you just wasting ur money..
it is a common problem. but not all vq engine has it.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:46 AM
no need to buy the covers now, if you run into oil then send me a message and I'll tell you an unmanly trick to clean up the oil out of the tubes....lets just say it's probably the only time a tampon comes in handy to a man

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what spark plugs should i use?