General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

For those of us that have check engine light come on. Here is a tool that might help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of us that have check engine light come on. Here is a tool that might help

Hey guys I wanted to share this with you guys if you were interested in it. I recently had my check engine light come on for one of my coilpacks and this saved me so much time and money. It helped me easily identify the faulty one. I didn't want to spend 60 plus tax for a obd II reader from Harbor Freight. So I found this as a cheaper and better solution. Usually Cheaper and Better don't go along but in this case they do.

If you have a android phone/tablet, the app is called Torque Pro (Link to googleplay store --> http://goo.gl/6rQSb ). I am sure they have it for iphone app as well but since I don't have a iphone could someone verify this.

Torque Pro allows you to clear codes read codes, the features are all in that link I posted. It does a ton of stuff. They have a free version and a paid version but the paid version is 4.99 or 5.99 but it's worth every penny. I use it on my Viper and other cars and it works great.

But this won't work by itself. You need a bluetooth OBD Scanner. I tried different ones and the one that worked great is this one from amazon. Amazon is where I got mine: http://goo.gl/Dz0jJk.

This one works perfectly with this app and I have used it on different cars to isolate my problems. I think in total it will cost you less than a close to 30 dollars but it is portable. You can leave it in your dash and pull it out and bluetooth connect it to your mobile and use it anytime.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
They have an iphone app, and it works great with my aftermarket stereo setup to display necessary information on the screen of the HU. Thanks for simplifying this down though bud, I booked it.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
They have an iphone app, and it works great with my aftermarket stereo setup to display necessary information on the screen of the HU. Thanks for simplifying this down though bud, I booked it.
No problem Urbanengineer, what is the name for the iPhone version? I couldn't find it. Is it the same price? range

Old 09-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Engine Link - OBD II vehicle monitoring and diagnosis by K SOLUTION LLC
https://appsto.re/us/kjNqJ.i

6.00 and it tells you codes and everything so I thought it would be fun. Although how accurate is everything? Not so sure there I'm not going to get dyno tuned for a very long Time haha.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Engine Link - OBD II vehicle monitoring and diagnosis by K SOLUTION LLC
https://appsto.re/us/kjNqJ.i

6.00 and it tells you codes and everything so I thought it would be fun. Although how accurate is everything? Not so sure there I'm not going to get dyno tuned for a very long Time haha.
Now I know for a fact now that the Iphone will not work with the bluetooth adapters. You will have to get a wifi OBDII adapter. Here is a link to the smaller wifi adapter for the Ipad and Iphones: http://goo.gl/BpTO6B

Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Nice find, thanks for doing this for people like me :lol:. It is too bad the iPhone can not pick up the bluetooth signal, but great that the alternative is through wifi.

You probably know this, but you can remove the lower two screws in the OBDII area and tuck away the new wifi adapter you bought so you don't scrape your shins in the event of an accident/getting in and out of the already tiny space.