General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Electrical issue.. no backlight in cluster, no A/C or radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Electrical issue.. no backlight in cluster, no A/C or radio

New member here. I tried posting this same problem on a different forum site with no luck.
I've tried searching for this problem and every post I find the OP usually never went back to resolve, or someone else's fix I've already tried.

I dropped my car off at my local mechanic shop just to have my belts replaced, AC and power steering I think they were, and because my car was overheating. I needed a new thermostat and my radiator ended up having a small leak I never noticed. Anyway, two days later ( Driving just fine ) after work I go outside to start her up and run into these symptoms.

1. No lighting in my cluster ( speedo, gas, rpm, eng. temp, and some emergency lights still work)

2. ABS light turns on once the brake is pressed.

3. No rear brake lights

4. Gear will not go into D (Will not go out of park without using shift lock)

5. No AC/HEAT or radio

6. No power seats

All I can remember at the moment...

Surprisingly, some stuff still works such as..

1. The car starts up just fine

2. Dome lights in the cabin

3. Headlights, Blinkers, fogs ..

4. Power windows

5. Wipers

UPDATE.
No fuses blown in any of the 3 fuse boxes. I tried replacing the mirror fuse in the kick panel box because I read on another post it was what controlled all accessories in the cabin. Brake light switch has been replaced. Brake fluid is over the half way point a little from MAX.

If it means anything, the night before I clipped my right side mirror.
Any ideas? Thank you

Driving a 03 G35 with around 130k

Old 12-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts
What a drag! Check your "fusible links" which are like the "master" fuses and are built in to the positive battery connector cable. Brake lights should be the easiest to trace since they should always be powered and only run through two fuses. (See below). Fusible link D is a 60 amp fuse that runs a whole bunch of things. Hopefully that's the problem. Fuse 20 is in the in-cabin fuse box.

Attached Thumbnails Electrical issue.. no backlight in cluster, no A/C or radio-stoplamp.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Rojas (12-23-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by 05_SkylineSedan
What a drag! Check your "fusible links" which are like the "master" fuses and are built in to the positive battery connector cable. Brake lights should be the easiest to trace since they should always be powered and only run through two fuses. (See below). Fusible link D is a 60 amp fuse that runs a whole bunch of things. Hopefully that's the problem. Fuse 20 is in the in-cabin fuse box.
Thank you for your help. Sadly, Fuse 20 is functional. The fusible link from what i see is not broken or cracked. Is there a trick to telling wether or not the fusible link is operational? even though the metal connects could it be bad? or is it just visual, if the metal connects its fine I assume? If that's the case the fusible link is operational. This leads me to believe the issue is with the wiring somewhere? I'm not good with this stuff but is there a way I can look up a diagram of where the wiring runs from the fuse box to the brake lights? Maybe if i follow it I will find my problem, and all the others as well.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
How long have you owned this car, and is there any accident history? I'm only asking because once the car is in a major accident, many of these functions are affected although they are replaced/fixed.

I cannot say as I'm new to Infiniti's, other than try to take it to the Infiniti dealer as they will know how to diagnose it. it'll cost at least $150 for a full diagnostic; thats how much I paid for mine a couple of months ago. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2014, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
How long have you owned this car, and is there any accident history? I'm only asking because once the car is in a major accident, many of these functions are affected although they are replaced/fixed.

I cannot say as I'm new to Infiniti's, other than try to take it to the Infiniti dealer as they will know how to diagnose it. it'll cost at least $150 for a full diagnostic; thats how much I paid for mine a couple of months ago. Good luck!
I never checked but I've owned the car for 6 months. I'll check the history.