oil change without removing the skid plate? - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

Go Back  G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion > Tech Area - V35 > General Tech Questions
Reload this Page >

oil change without removing the skid plate?

General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Old 12-20-2018, 03:29 PM
ofg

Uggh I just reinstalled the skid plate a couple months ago. The car needs an oil change now. Has anybody done an oil change without removing the skid plate? Can it be done? I havent been under there in a while. Stupid car only gets driven every other week, so its gone about 8 months from the last oil change. I know,, its over due,, even though the oil only has about 1200 miles on it. So,,, is it possible to git r done without taking off the skid plate?

Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 PM
On the AWD models, not sure what years though, the cover has a hole where the filter sits and a flap with 1-3 fasteners below the drain plug. It's designed to allow oil changes without taking it completely off but I wouldn't bother.

You're hardly overdue for a change anyway. When you do drive it, how long do you drive ? If you take it out for a good run, get the car up to operating temperature for 30+ minutes or longer, you'll be fine. If all you do is start it and let it idle for 10 minutes, that's different....

Old 12-20-2018, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by ofg View Post
Uggh I just reinstalled the skid plate a couple months ago. The car needs an oil change now. Has anybody done an oil change without removing the skid plate? Can it be done? I havent been under there in a while. Stupid car only gets driven every other week, so its gone about 8 months from the last oil change. I know,, its over due,, even though the oil only has about 1200 miles on it. So,,, is it possible to git r done without taking off the skid plate?
You are making a big deal out of nothing. Use a cordless drill with a 10mm socket. It only takes three minutes to remove that fiberboard shroud.

Telcoman

Old 12-21-2018, 01:24 AM
Ha! I just did this today. I wouldve taken some pics had I seen this thread earlier.

But it is possible! If u can lift the front of the car about a foot off the ground, all u have to do is remove the 2 bolts towards the aft of the cover. And the 2 bolts on each side, that gives the cover enough flex to be pulled/bent forward. Turn your steering wheel full right and that should give u enough space to crawl in and get it done from in front of the right wheel.