General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

new steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Base
new steering wheel?

Just wondering, i'm not familiar with changing my steering wheel on my g35. I got a couple questions.

1. Do I need a airbag on my front steering wheel legally? if yes, and I take that out, will I get any dash lights?

2. Its my daily driver. But I do drift occasionally, and I love the look of a nice race wheel. Is there anything I need to know if I switch to that? I already have a aftermarket head unit so most of the buttons don't even work.

3. Any other advice would be appreciated!

Old 01-01-2019, 12:51 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I would strongly recommend leaving hte airbag in place otherwise you have a giant ugly hole in the middle of your steering wheel unless this is PURELY a track car that will never be driven on a public highway and that you will never drive without wearing a helmet.

Otherwise you're removing the single most important piece of safety equipment if you're ever involved in a frontal collision, for drift use you can usually just disable the system by disconnecting the battery and pulling the harness on the diagnostic module in the center console.

I already have a aftermarket head unit so most of the buttons don't even work.
All you need usually is a steering wheel control interface for your head unit to make all the buttons work again.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:58 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
As much as I've always wanted to have a fancy steering wheel the lack of airbag will always prevent me from getting one.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been a member of this forum for a few years now, love the information contained therein but have never been inclined to comment on any posts before. However, having been an accident/insurance investigator for over 40 years, and having investigated thousands of accidents and having seen the personal results thereof, I was dumbfounded by the thought that anyone would seriously consider removing the airbag. As CLERIC670 stated, this is one of the best safety devises ever invented ( I would rank the seat belt as number one) and if you were ever involved in a frontal accident, even at 30 mph, it would not be the big ugly hole "in the steeringr wheel" the would be of major concern at that time. I would strongly advise that no one ever even think about disabling their airbag.