new steering wheel? - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

new steering wheel?

Old 01-01-2019, 08:17 AM
G35 Base
new steering wheel?

Just wondering, i'm not familiar with changing my steering wheel on my g35. I got a couple questions.

1. Do I need a airbag on my front steering wheel legally? if yes, and I take that out, will I get any dash lights?

2. Its my daily driver. But I do drift occasionally, and I love the look of a nice race wheel. Is there anything I need to know if I switch to that? I already have a aftermarket head unit so most of the buttons don't even work.

3. Any other advice would be appreciated!

Old 01-01-2019, 01:51 PM
BANNED!!!
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I would strongly recommend leaving hte airbag in place otherwise you have a giant ugly hole in the middle of your steering wheel unless this is PURELY a track car that will never be driven on a public highway and that you will never drive without wearing a helmet.

Otherwise you're removing the single most important piece of safety equipment if you're ever involved in a frontal collision, for drift use you can usually just disable the system by disconnecting the battery and pulling the harness on the diagnostic module in the center console.

I already have a aftermarket head unit so most of the buttons don't even work.
All you need usually is a steering wheel control interface for your head unit to make all the buttons work again.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:58 PM
As much as I've always wanted to have a fancy steering wheel the lack of airbag will always prevent me from getting one.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:46 PM
I have been a member of this forum for a few years now, love the information contained therein but have never been inclined to comment on any posts before. However, having been an accident/insurance investigator for over 40 years, and having investigated thousands of accidents and having seen the personal results thereof, I was dumbfounded by the thought that anyone would seriously consider removing the airbag. As CLERIC670 stated, this is one of the best safety devises ever invented ( I would rank the seat belt as number one) and if you were ever involved in a frontal accident, even at 30 mph, it would not be the big ugly hole "in the steeringr wheel" the would be of major concern at that time. I would strongly advise that no one ever even think about disabling their airbag.