Hawaii Honolulu

mg2 trunk review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mg2 trunk review

howsit, i normally dont say anything but thought i give a warning in case you dont already know. Recently installed a mastergrade trunk. Giving a heads up about this mg2 trunk before you decide to buy it. I hate to make fun of my car but, the fitment is not perfect, professional body shop had to make adjustments, they thought it would never fit. Even though i dont know much about CF, the quality does not look as good as my seibon cf hood. Looks good in pics but different in real life. In my opinion, its still a cool looking trunk but overall cut and quality is no way as good as they describe it. I hate when people sell and make money off of an inferior product.

Last edited by nogoslo; 05-11-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:11 AM
pics?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Old 05-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My trunk fits horribly as well. I have people asking if my trunk is open because of the gaps and fitment.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:03 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the clear coat on it sucks. mine started to fade 2 days after i took it out the box lol

Old 05-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I posted this one other place but felt it needed to be here as well.

From the sounds of your dealing with MG I'm sure your upset. I personally can't agree with you on service, quality and overall experience. I know I might catch flak for coming to the defense of MG when there are so many jumping on the bandwagon here. I want to make it clear that if I went through what you went through I would be jsut as upset if not more so. That being said I have built a G35 and a 350Z this year both with parts from MG.

Thus far I have ordered:
(1) Asuka Z Hood - Made by MG
(1) Asuka Z Double Hump CF Roof - Made my MG
(2) AMS 350Z hoods - Made by MG
(1) CF 350Z Hatch - Made by MG
(1) Set of 350Z CF A-Pillars - Made by MG
(1) Set of 350Z CF B-Pillars - Made by MG
(1) MG2 G35 Trunk Lid - Made by MG
(1) Hybrid G35 CF Hood - Made by MG

All have been perfect other then a blemish on a AMS 350Z hood that was stated to be there before I purchased it. Boomer is busy as hell from what I can tell and sometimes he isn't sitting at the computer when I would like him to be but I have never had a problem with him getting back to me. The boxes he ships stuff in are well built and all the products are shipped in almost to much bubble wrap. I can go on and on about my experiences and as you can see I have had quiet a few.

It's truly unfortunate that your having these problems but a ton of people out there buy these products everyday and rock them year in and year out and never have a issue. It's the same thing with Auto Meter gauges or any other company for that matter. Hundreds or thousands of customer buy products everyday and are extremely happy with them. Then one or two people get a bad product or have something go wrong and we turn around and throw the manufacturer under the bus.

Again I hope you get your issues taken care of but I can tell you that I have had zero problems and neither have anyone else that I know who uses their products. Lets take a deep breath here guys and let things play out. I think the OP is merely stating his experience and I give him +1 for not overly bashing MG. Lets hope this single issue gets taken care of and we can go on enjoying quality products.
-Tyrant Z

Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thats good that you personally had no problems, but I would say there are a few people who have. This was my first Mastergrade product and I received it with imperfections and the fitment wasn't that good as said in my earlier reply. Here are pictures of the imperfections. Looks like someones fingerprints or something. In addition to these, there are also certain areas on the trunk where the carbon weave looks messed up. The clear looks to be fading now as well.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Thats pretty ****ty not going to lie. Did you get any type of response from Boomer on it since they made the changes over there?

Old 05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
I have a few items from mastergrade and i love them ! No probs with me !

Old 05-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
another one huh, just rackin up the bad feedback!!!

Reguardless of the people who got perfect stuff, there should never be this many problems with merchandise. I've seen over a handfull of threads about these guys in less than a year, and thats just on this forum!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Kris79
the clear coat on it sucks. mine started to fade 2 days after i took it out the box lol
Most CF products don't leave the warehouse/factory with a clearcoat. it's usually just a gel coat, which fades and turns yellow, much like all of ViS products. I got my CF products recleared before I even put them on, and I have no problems whatsoever.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
so where the "fingerprints" are is the surfce smooth or conformed to the imperfections?

it wouldent be too bad is the surface was smooth if you are gonna paint some of the trunk like i plan on when i get one.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
^Not really the point though, if you're gonna pay upwards of $600 for a trunk, i'd like to hope you expect it to be near perfect!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 PM
yeah very tru i know they had some on sale becasue they had imperfections.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 PM
pics of gaps and rough edges. pass side sticks out, it fits better if the weather stripping was removed but didnt want to do that. the latch had to be modified because the trunk wouldnt go down enough to lock. its fine at a glance but i expected more.

Attached Thumbnails mg2 trunk review-sp_a0035.jpg   mg2 trunk review-sp_a0040.jpg   mg2 trunk review-sp_a0041.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: mg2 trunk review