Hawaii Honolulu

A Potential Trip To Hawaii - Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
A Potential Trip To Hawaii - Need Help

So I'm looking at possibly coming to your beautiful State for the first time for vacation in the spring of 2013 with my family. My flights and vacation packages are very limited from the east coast of Canada.......and my available options are Maui, Kona, and Honolulu.

So since I've never been to Hawaii before, what is everyone's thoughts regarding pros/cons for those three places?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Suggestion leave the kids with Mom & Dad, just you and your wife on this vacation....you'll be glad you did!
What you don't want to do is get stuck on one island, start with 2 days in Honolulu. Grab a car/map and see the sights....there's a lot to see. Then off to Maui for a couple days, follow the same pattern. Lahina is my favorite spot on Maui. Moving on to the big island, ya gotta see the volcano and black sand beaches. The big island is so beautiful you gotta try to tour the entire island. All you need is sunblock/shorts/t-shirt and flip flops. It's important to leave at least one day to do nothing but lay on the beach and soak up the island sun/air (don't forget sunblock) don't get burned. This could be your best vacation ever if you leave the kids at home....trust me!
Gary

Old 12-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Gary has some nice tips. If you do head to Kona though, like Gary suggested, I'd try to tour the whole island, start off at Kona (more developed area), then circle the island clockwise (take the long way around at least once). Just the drive of going from Kona to Hilo (the town on the east coast, much less developed) and passing by the very small towns on the way (many of them have a population of ~100 or so, and they have their own small little markets, etc), driving by the pastures, the sights to see, if you do go to the Big Island I'd say touring the whole island is the must. Go see the volcanoes too.

As for the kids comment, well...there isn't anything like Disneyland here, but we do have a waterpark and go kart raceway here on O'ahu. I think the kids part is up to you. I'm sure it'd be a nice time for them though.

If you're only able to go to one island, I guess it depends on what you're looking for. But if you happen to be on O'ahu on a Thursday, the local Z/G club has their meets at Pearlridge Mall!

Last edited by dominate; 12-15-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
maui and kona are way better for sightseeing and way more relaxing. honolulu is the busy city. not nearly as nice. if you like shopping, fancy dining, more high end hotels honolulu is good though.

maui is nice but kona is on the the island of "Hawaii" which is much larger so there will be more driving/sightseeing and you can visit the volcanic area too.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts