Hawaii Honolulu

SoCalTed - island bound (july)

Old 06-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SoCalTed - island bound (july)

Work is killing me.. so I'm taking a vacation with the family.

Most likely will use some points and stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Vilalge, so i was wondering if anybody knows if you can rent a G on the big island? (that keeps it on topic)

Any suggestions for the 1st couple of weeks in July.. .any special things going on that shouldn't be missed?

The wife and I travel a lot, so we like to get off the beaten path and try local food and be a bit more adventurous. My first trip to Hawaii, but her 2nd or 3rd.

Any suggestions are most welcomed. Anybody need me to bring anything over with me?

Cheers, Ted

Old 06-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by SoCalTed
Work is killing me.. so I'm taking a vacation with the family.

Most likely will use some points and stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Vilalge, so i was wondering if anybody knows if you can rent a G on the big island? (that keeps it on topic)

Any suggestions for the 1st couple of weeks in July.. .any special things going on that shouldn't be missed?

The wife and I travel a lot, so we like to get off the beaten path and try local food and be a bit more adventurous. My first trip to Hawaii, but her 2nd or 3rd.

Any suggestions are most welcomed. Anybody need me to bring anything over with me?

Cheers, Ted
yeah, can you bring a burnout kit for me and DTR Projekt. You gotta come to Oahu too. haha.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:30 PM
I dont think that you can rent a G on the islands yet...and if you could..the cost of the rental might not be worth it. Get a midsized car at least in the Big Island though. The long drives make it worth it...plus driving around at 60+ in a tin can didnt make me feel very safe. =)

I would say..just be a tourist and see all that you can. But, please keep off the lava and keep your distance. Also...DONT TAKE ANY ROCKS HOME. People have returned rocks to Hawaii due to the reasons that bad luck follows after they are removed from the islands. Never tried..but didnt want to tempt fate.

Just bring an open mind, joy in your heart, and whistling a happy tune and I am pretty sure that that is all that people will ask of you.

Have a safe flight and take care.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Waikoloa's got dolphins. Take some pics and give them to Donny (aka Dizz if you hang/know him).

Golf, deep sea fishing, volcano tour, south point, cruising the Kona coffee farms are some of the usual stuff. I thought there was a tour along the irrigation canal over on the Hilo side of the island, I forget the name of the company that runs the tour, sorry.

Local food is pretty much just cruise the Kona & Hilo areas for a plate lunch place.

I haven't been to the Big Island for a while so I'm not to up on the places, sorry man. I'm sure others will be by for some other suggestions.

+1 do not take any rocks off the island.

Old 06-18-2005, 03:39 AM
things to consider bringing back would be...
guava wine from Volcano Winery
Chocolate dipped macadamia nut shortbread cookies from Big Island Candies
even locals on Oahu go ga-ga for them cookies! mind your jaw when you see the price

i dunno if there are G rentals. if it's just you & the wife, how `bout taking a new Mustang convertible for a spin? it's gonna be non-GT tho.

hate to be a nag, but do not leave any shopping/camera/luggage bags in the car where they can be seen from the outside. seems like common sense, but thefts of this nature happen all too often here

Old 06-18-2005, 03:52 AM
thanks all.. and especially Grizzly! That's the kinda suggestions I'm looking for! Any other recommendations?

Don't worry about us, we've done everything from Canada to Mexico to China to the UK, from the US east to west coast. I think Wendy's in ghetto DC was probably one of worst choices for a culture stop when vacationing, though.

Cheers, Ted

Old 06-18-2005, 04:32 AM
well if you got outta Mexico unscathed, then i'm certain you can pretty much survive anywhere i agree w/ you on DC-- i was visiting my sis there and we got into a big ol' squabble w/ a cabby... he didn't realize that she knew the zones.

anywho, since you seem to be adventurous, do try our Hawaiian foods:
kalua pig
poi
ahi poke
tako poke
lomi lomi salmon
chicken longrice
pipikaula
squid luau
pork lau lau
haupia
... it's much more fun not knowing what they are
if, by chance, you suffer some sort of allergic reaction, perhaps DocRon can PM you directions to the best care facilities the Big Island has to offer...

Old 06-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Hilton Waikoloa alone will keep the kiddies busy with all the fun swimming options at the site. They have the dolphin camp there too but you have to sign up ahead of time so do it now if you want to get your kids in. Gives you a chance to have fun with the wifey for a few hours too. A drive across (not around) the island from Kona to Hilo is fun and interesting as you get to see about twelve different climate zones on the route and also see snow on the high mountains (volcanos). I think you're not supposed to take rental cars on that route but I won't tell. Akaka Falls is cool. On the way to Waipio there is a local place, Tex's Drive In where you are obligated to have a malasada. Officially I think the town is Honoka'a. It's fun just to see the abandoned cars on the side of the road overgrown by the vegetation at the lower levels.

You can do the snorkeling thing which I found enjoyable as did my two boys. Advice: take of you're wedding ring. The water is crystal clear and I got to see mine sink 40 feet to the bottom of the area in which we were snorkeling. Fortunately the boat guys are looking for any excuse to put on scuba gear and retrieved it for me (drop your mask at the spot!). It is NOT easy to swim very deep!

The Royal Kona has a pretty good luau. Kona Brewing is a site you might want to visit too but mostly for a tee shirt. Mostly just relax and soak up the sun. Shaka!

Old 06-18-2005, 01:21 PM
big island candies has a website you can order off.....no need till someone goes to hilo to pick some up now whooohooo!!!

Old 06-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Nobody told him to visit the black sand beach. You can see the petroglyphs, the lava tubes are cool, and you may or may not want to visit the sulfer pits (remember going there during a elementary school trip).

Old 06-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rage777
Nobody told him to visit the black sand beach. You can see the petroglyphs, the lava tubes are cool, and you may or may not want to visit the sulfer pits (remember going there during a elementary school trip).
i don't think there are much of the black sand beaches anymore though. i remember going there for my hawaiian class too. very interesting. if you're into other culture's, you may want to check out the "Pu'uhonua O' Honaunau." it's very interesting, and eerie like! it's the City of Refuge the ancient hawaiian's used way back.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Ted,

Sorry for not posting earlier, I guess I would be the best person to give advie on the BI since I live here...lol

NO place to rent G's here on the island. There are only about 8-9 coupes on island. My G will be setting sail for the mainland on July 13th (with Horizon/DAS).

1. Get this book "Hawaii the Big Island Revealed"
Amazon Amazon
this is perhaps the best book for tourists (and locals) looking for off the beaten path stuff!
2. Some key things to do (BTW, how old are your kids?)

a. go to volcano and hike the 2 miles Chain of Craters (bring some running or hiking shoes, water and some anti-histamines for the sulfur smell) and see the lave flowing into the ocean.

b. in you want to spend the money, you can fly a copter tour with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters which is the best out of all of them.

c. Come up to waimea and eat at Hawaiian Style Cafe (M-F 7:30am-11:30am, Sun 7:30am-12p. Talk about some big plates of food!!! One of my patients owns and operates this great local eatery.

d. If you golf, the best courses IMO (and I have played on all of them) are Mauna Lani North, Hapuna, Waimea CC, Waikoloa Beach course, Mauna Kea in order. green fees for non-residents are about $120. One suggestion you can do if you want to bother with it is go get a State ID and then you can qualify for all the kamaaina (resident) discounts......lol

e. Check out akaka falls over on the Hilo side.

f. Hapuna Beach state park is overrated IMO, the Mauna Kea beach park is better.

g. Don't get caught up spending big $$ at the hotel resteraunts. Go eat at Kawaihae Harbor Grill (great seafood and teriyaki ribs, my fav!), Cafe Pesto (gourmet pizzas and pasta) or Tres Hombres (casual mexican) which is only 20 minutes north up the road from Waikoloa.

h. In the King's Shops right there in Waikoloa, there is the Big Island Steak House (where another one of my former patients manages) and Roy's Resteraunt which is more expensive but more classy, pretty good food.

i. Kona has nothing really to do except the touristy stuff on Ali`i Drive. Shopping is crappy down there unles you like the tacky refrigerator magnets and cheapo coconut craftware.

But, read the book, it'll give your ideas about all the secret beaches and hikes.

PM me and I'll give you my number, we can hook up and you can critique my G...lol.

doc

Old 06-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Thanks all... digesting and gonna get the book as recommended by DocRon!

Funny, when we go international, we buy books and do lots of research, but domestically we usually wing it. Don't wanna miss out, so appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

Cheers, Ted

Old 06-23-2005, 02:21 AM
Definately go snorkeling. I can't remember where I went to in Kona but you can see a sign from the road and a hotel right next to it that advertises it. You can rent the equipment or pack some in your suitcases. There's also an awesome clam bake at the Mauna Kea hotel. It's only on certain days. The clam bake is incredible, it's expensive but all you can eat main lobster, clams, crabs, mussels, made to order salad, and a really good sundae bar. Whatever you do don't drive on Old Saddle Road. It's a super dangerous drive. I think the rental car companies make you sign something that says you won't drive that road.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh...I forgot one GREAT thing to do...

4 hour ATV ride up in Kohala.....this is definately worth the money.

ATV Outfitters Hawaii 808-889-6000

let me know ahead of time as my clerk's nephew works there and can get you resident prices.....

doc

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SoCalTed - island bound (july)