Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Whats the best type of intake for the coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go with the INJEN Cold Air Intake. I have it myself, so I may be a little biased, but I did my research and asked around...and ultimately i think it is the best choice. If u want a good price on it, i bought mine from VividRacing.com= http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/17236

Although what Silverbolt said is true, technically speaking short-rams should work as efficiently as the long-pipes, so if u are looking at shortrams, that wouldn't be a problem given that the g35 coupes come with one anyway (of course it is subpar).

-Good Luck

Old 07-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
...the shorter piping should have a better throttle response. In theory, the a short ram with an effecient heat sheild will out perform any long piping cold air induction intake system. But no one is really going feel the difference from a pony or two from a 300hp car
You are precisely correct. Thus, a Z-tube coupled with the stock filter-intake apparatus should get you better numbers (however minimal). To me, a CAI setup with up to three feet of ductwork equals three feet of metal beneath the hood through which the cooler air will be heated before ingested by the throttle body. Add a more efficient filter medium (K&N, etc) and you have cool air comin' atchya from a perfect location.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned
wtf?

Originally Posted by MrElussive
but dude....the stock air intake is ram air and it works mad nice.

Get a Z-Tube first.
No it isn't! your best bet is to go CAI. The short ram thing doesn't really do ****, its just louder with no real power gains. I would go with either the AEM intake or the nismo one. INJEN blows big donkey ***** and the AEM CIA's are pretty much known to produce the greatest power gains over all of the other intake systems on the market.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best all around solution intake-wise for these cars is the Stillen/z-tube combo. You'll get the best bottom end result and and top end band as well. the mid end just flies by.

If you don't care about bottom end - because your an MT, have gears and pulleys or a TQ converter for an AT - then Injen is the best for all around top end -

There's no other considerations out there - for any other reason. Honestly. There are other units to buy - sure, but these are the top results - from the top companies for a reason.

They DO WORK - it depends on what your after. If you just want noise, but don't want to suffer power-wise noticeably anywhere, or are not looking for power gains either - you SHOULD just go for Z-tube.

This is my opinion - but it is a tested and qualified one.

Rick

Old 08-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Patrick
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my friend celica...he has an AEM and it sucks! his CEL is always on... it should not come on for a CAI...I think I would do ztube, with pop charger or i heard stillen is good.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i got nismo cai on mine i like it sounds nice feels like more top end and less bottom sometimes. but in order for it perform as advertised you need to let that air get out after it gets in. if you have stock exhaust you probalby wont notice too much but once you do headers and exhaust or FI how ever you want to go thats where the difference is. they shouldnt even sell just intakes it should come with headers and exhaust to get what your looking for, but i guess its cheaper to do a peice at a time. i just have cai on my g but on my last car i bought it peice by peice didnt really feel anything dyno numbers showed little gains for individual peices but all together in the end i got good gains

Old 08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Patrick
what is the stillen HFAB made out of to make it out preform the stock one, it looks like the same thing?

Old 08-03-2006, 09:12 PM
I'd say go Gruppe M if you want something rare and looks good in your engine bay.

Last edited by touge_g35; 08-03-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Unless you're looking for a different sound, leave it stock. Modded intake HP gains aren't worth chasing. A good driver with a stock ride can smoke an average guy with a truck full of bolt ons.

Fact.
Amen and the only guy making sense.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Unless you're looking for a different sound, leave it stock. Modded intake HP gains aren't worth chasing. A good driver with a stock ride can smoke an average guy with a truck full of bolt ons.

Fact.
hmmm....no arguing that a good driver can beat a bad one on the street - especially when your comparing apples to apples. If you compare Red Delicious to Granny Smith - there's a gray area - but still close.

Your analogy is more like apples to pineapples. An average guy in my car in AutoMode letting it shift on it's own will beat that good driver.

Actually answering the poster's question with fact would be great however. There is huge supportive dyno proof that Intakes help. Now they help in different ways depending on the design and what the consumer is looking for, so educating the poster of the thread, is what this is about.

Intakes can also hurt performance, if other mods are not done, if certain intakes are chosen and used certain ways without other mods - but if you haven't tested or researched that, you wouldn't know - and I'm not saying you don't - but the poster of this thread certainly doesn't and wants to.

Just saying all they do is make noise so stay stock because someone will out drive you, is a cop-out answer if you ask me.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Premier Member

Ahhh one of the few posts that make sense in this forum. Good work. My car was faster than 350z with my bolt ons and they had bolt ons. So I guess my mods didn't work per other peoples ideas here.

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
hmmm....no arguing that a good driver can beat a bad one on the street - especially when your comparing apples to apples. If you compare Red Delicious to Granny Smith - there's a gray area - but still close.

Your analogy is more like apples to pineapples. An average guy in my car in AutoMode letting it shift on it's own will beat that good driver.

Actually answering the poster's question with fact would be great however. There is huge supportive dyno proof that Intakes help. Now they help in different ways depending on the design and what the consumer is looking for, so educating the poster of the thread, is what this is about.

Intakes can also hurt performance, if other mods are not done, if certain intakes are chosen and used certain ways without other mods - but if you haven't tested or researched that, you wouldn't know - and I'm not saying you don't - but the poster of this thread certainly doesn't and wants to.

Just saying all they do is make noise so stay stock because someone will out drive you, is a cop-out answer if you ask me.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by truplay8

stay away from aem.......endless amounts of threads........i say injen
I'm loving ^ image..hahaha
you should have this pic in your sign all the time bro...
anyways,,
I say Injen..I've had it for the past 3 months..and I'm loving it

Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Patrick
Originally Posted by mpspeer
what is the stillen HFAB made out of to make it out preform the stock one, it looks like the same thing?
Hate to be quoting myself, but can someone answer this?

Old 08-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by mpspeer
It's made out of plastic - but the material isn't what makes it work - it's the filter and the velocity cone that's the trick in the setup.

Rick

Old 08-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Patrick
can the filter not fit in the stock air box?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whats the best type of intake for the coupe