Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Whats the best type of intake for the coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
A quick additional item:

The item that makes the Stillen unit work, is not only that the side is opened up to allow more airflow and the larger filter, but the Venturi piece that makes it all work and stand out above the rest.

Rick
Marketing BS, IMO. These cars simply don't make the power to take advantage of this race-spec design. I've personnally tested the Venturi ring you're talking about. There was absolutely no difference on the dyno between my HKS intake (built venturi), JWT intake (stand alone piece like on the Stillen), and just a regular cone. All intakes dynoed within 2whp (dyno error). These intakes were not only tested on my VQ30, but also on a VQ35 Maxima.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Well, no I haven't tested ANY intake on a G35. I guess you're alluding to the notion that you yourself have done all this testing. If so, please post the before and after dyno plots because I am seriously interested and I'm sure it would answer a lot of questions for many people. Honestly testing "dozens of combination" suggests that you've must have done 100s of dynos. Surely you've got some plots.

What's so interesting about this site is that there is a strong belief that an intake will gain power on G35s, however if you go over to the 350Z sites, the opinion is don't waste your time if you're looking for any gains.

My reference to V8s is hardly a "waste of space". It was to prove a point. Long runners offer up great low/midrange and short runners offer up great upper rpm performance. It doesn't work any other way and I find it quite interesting that you seem to discredit this by saying that the longer CAI will somehow increase upper rpm power.

Runner physics
http://www.mne.psu.edu/me415/SPRING0...ke/intake.html
OK - I'll take this on for a little bit - this is getting fun.

First - PLEASE don't bring up the 350Z guys. I love em, honestly - but they are a different crowd with different intentions on their cars. MANY Z's that are modded are either done for Aero or FI - the in-between haven't made up their mind. The cars are less money and make it easier to make a hot street machine with FI than our cars for the end cost result. The average age range and owner of the Z is also much younger than the typical G owner.

The typical G owner either does nothing, does it all, or fools around with things here and there and doesn't really care much about results other than show and go bling, etc.

Now - as far as the 'runner theory game' and intake manifold design for race cars are concerned - sure longer runner give you more bottom end, yadda yadda yadda...duh - not arguing that. I have an SSV on my car for that very reason.

This thread is not about the intake manifold itself, AND further, though related, CAI's in all their incarnations only have about an 6% impact on that intake manifold design for our cars.

I did tests with Crawford, Kinetix V, MD 1/2" w/ISO and SSV intake manifolds with 5 different intakes. The most peak HP gain came from the MD and Injen combination on a stock engine. Once a 2 1/2" catback was introduced, and 9 were tested, the whole thing changed. We tested 9 exhausts, 5 CAI's, and the 3 manifold in all combinations. The best HP at the time, 9 months ago, was the Borla TD w/ StillenCAI and the MD.

The best bottom result - the same! Currently - there is a new exhaust that make it all even better, ours, but I'm not here marketing.

Do I have plots - more than 1000! Will I share them, no...and everyone who knows me, knows I can't. I'll PM you some info why and you'll understand.

There is proof that these work. Many people have installed them and show no gains - as their combinations are not good, or their locations are not good for the solution. It all has to be considered.

I have nothing to gain by saying what I am. I don't sell any of these parts at all. There are many misconceptions out there about some of these mods, and they are mostly because they are not implemented properly.

Rick

Old 08-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what's the wager when I run at the track here in about 1.5 months. Will I run quicker than the 14.32 I did with just the Z-pipe? I think so. You of all people know I'm highly critical of mods and I can honestly say the spacer works as advertized and I'm certain my timeslips will show lower 14.2s@98mph+. I might even see a 99mph trap.
You obviously can't read.

I said MREV kit on a REV-UP. MD has tested the car and without a Intake the MREV kit suffers.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:42 AM
OK - I'll take this on for a little bit - this is getting fun.

First - PLEASE don't bring up the 350Z guys. I love em, honestly - but they are a different crowd with different intentions on their cars. MANY Z's that are modded are either done for Aero or FI - the in-between haven't made up their mind. The cars are less money and make it easier to make a hot street machine with FI than our cars for the end cost result. The average age range and owner of the Z is also much younger than the typical G owner.

The typical G owner either does nothing, does it all, or fools around with things here and there and doesn't really care much about results other than show and go bling, etc.

Now - as far as the 'runner theory game' and intake manifold design for race cars are concerned - sure longer runner give you more bottom end, yadda yadda yadda...duh - not arguing that. I have an SSV on my car for that very reason.

This thread is not about the intake manifold itself, AND further, though related, CAI's in all their incarnations only have about an 6% impact on that intake manifold design for our cars.

I did tests with Crawford, Kinetix V, MD 1/2" w/ISO and SSV intake manifolds with 5 different intakes. The most peak HP gain came from the MD and Injen combination on a stock engine. Once a 2 1/2" catback was introduced, and 9 were tested, the whole thing changed. We tested 9 exhausts, 5 CAI's, and the 3 manifold in all combinations. The best HP at the time, 9 months ago, was the Borla TD w/ StillenCAI and the MD.

The best bottom result - the same! Currently - there is a new exhaust that make it all even better, ours, but I'm not here marketing.

Do I have plots - more than 1000! Will I share them, no...and everyone who knows me, knows I can't. I'll PM you some info why and you'll understand.

There is proof that these work. Many people have installed them and show no gains - as their combinations are not good, or their locations are not good for the solution. It all has to be considered.

I have nothing to gain by saying what I am. I don't sell any of these parts at all. There are many misconceptions out there about some of these mods, and they are mostly because they are not implemented properly.

Rick
Very well. I understand your situation and I respect your opinion.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
You obviously can't read.

I said MREV kit on a REV-UP. MD has tested the car and without a Intake the MREV kit suffers.
I can read quite well and I understood you. The MREV kits basically makes the Rev-up breath like a the non-Rev Up. Same powerband, same power peak, and the same curve.

Last edited by DaveB; 08-06-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:51 AM
Premier Member

I can read quite and I understood you. The MREV kits basically makes the Rev-up breath like a the non-Rev Up. Same powerband, same power peak, and the same curve.
If you really think they have the same power band so be it. But they don't. You put a non-rev up against a rev-up the power band is higher on a REV-UP.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:29 AM
More words of wisdom from the Clueless One. The more he says the more forum members will learn that he is truely clueless.

Rick, as a few others have said before, some people aren't worth very much of your time.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Very well. I understand your situation and I respect your opinion.
Wow Dave - that's cool and all - but it's not an opinion - it's fact.

Rick

Old 08-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Earl
More words of wisdom from the Clueless One. The more he says the more forum members will learn that he is truely clueless.

Rick, as a few others have said before, some people aren't worth very much of your time.
I understand that - believe me. I just want to make sure people on this thread and others learn not to trust quick answer useless posts that have no relevant backing to them.

Rick

Old 08-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Premier Member

I understand that - believe me. I just want to make sure people on this thread and others learn not to trust quick answer useless posts that have no relevant backing to them.

Rick
Agreed Rick. Your knowledge is respected on this forum by many people. Keep up the good work.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Earl

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Outside the box thinkers are often the ones most criticized. It's no skin off my back, believe me. You, Russ, whoever, can ramble on and on about what I don't know, but look through my posts and take a look at who's the one that offers up supporting links to information to back up their claims and then take a look at the ones who would just rather argue and offer up absolutely no supporting proof to their claims. We'll let the majority decide here.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Wow Dave - that's cool and all - but it's not an opinion - it's fact.

Rick
You're not convincing me. No plots and no timeslips for your supposed mid 12-second NA coupe. I don't know you from Joe Blow and I'm sure not going to take your word on anything if you're not going to post any data to support your claims or experience.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Premier Member

Obviously you are the one that never has anything backing your claims as others have pointed out as well. Like everyone else said your a clueless one that has no clue what your talking about.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:23 PM
You're not convincing me. No plots and no timeslips for your supposed mid 12-second NA coupe. I don't know you from Joe Blow and I'm sure not going to take your word on anything if you're not going to post any data to support your claims or experience.
Dude, didn't we go over this on another thread? - How many threads do you need to go through to learn to agree to disagree while leaving the thread open to the discussion on which is the best not who has plots and doesn't.

I don't know you from Joe Blow and you don't have a little yellow icon by your name saying "sponsor." My assumption would be someone with that logo probably has tested what they sell and or has a dyno very close by if they are a performance shop. And the reason many people can't post dynos has been due sometimes to being you should buy the magazine, and what's the point if you post the dyno why buy the magazine? Do you Dave offer up your services for free (from your job or side job) with the intentions of knowing that no one would pay to use your services?

Dave I am asking you as a mature adult to keep on thread topics and the bickering to a minimum, and that goes for everyone too - how old are we here? I may only be 23 but sometimes I feel like I am the most mature on this board... /end rant

Old 08-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by erikill
Dude, didn't we go over this on another thread? - How many threads do you need to go through to learn to agree to disagree while leaving the thread open to the discussion on which is the best not who has plots and doesn't.

I don't know you from Joe Blow and you don't have a little yellow icon by your name saying "sponsor." My assumption would be someone with that logo probably has tested what they sell and or has a dyno very close by if they are a performance shop. And the reason many people can't post dynos has been due sometimes to being you should buy the magazine, and what's the point if you post the dyno why buy the magazine?
So I must be a sponser or have actually bought a particular mod to know if it works or understand the concept? I see. So much for independant reviews and outside knowledge. I guess everyone should believe what they're told from aftermarket companies/vendors/and guys that simply don't know any better. If that's the case, then there will be plenty of disappointed people throughout this site when they dyno their headers/intakes/catbacks/etc and take note that the mods only gain 0% to 25% of their claims.

Do you Dave offer up your services for free (from your job or side job) with the intentions of knowing that no one would pay to use your services?
I'm an environmental consultant and yes, I often offer up my services for free to clients and potential clients. It's one of many ways we build trust and relationships in the market. Most of these aftermarket companies are run by people who have absolutely no business/personal skills whatsoever. Many of which have absolutely no quality control either. They would not survive if they actually had to deal with real clients/corporations that have big money and legal teams at their side just in case the vendor didn't provide the a quality service/product. We have saying in my field, "Watch your ***".

Dave I am asking you as a mature adult to keep on thread topics and the bickering to a minimum, and that goes for everyone too - how old are we here? I may only be 23 but sometimes I feel like I am the most mature on this board... /end rant
Bickering? Hardly. It's a debate. People should know both sides of the story. If Russ/Earl could keep the personal stuff out of this then these threads wouldn't go in the pot. Of course I'm going to defend my point when I'm constantly questioned and rediculed by this guy. Most people would do the same. I try to keep it as on topic as possible. Russ on the otherhand....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whats the best type of intake for the coupe