Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Just installed Kinetix SSV manifold and HKS hi-power catback exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 10:45 PM
Just a noob's point of view

I am new to the forum and was looking at different threads. I found the thread on the SSV, which I have. IMO, it made a substantial difference in performance, especially above 4,000 rpm. I don't have access to a dyno or drag strip, but I feel the performance gain is indeed noticable. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 10-15-2006 | 10:49 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com
Premier Member
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
i understand what youre saying. but my argument is that if you had all three of the mods installed at once then how do you know you are benefiting from the ssv? its very possible that the other two mods you put on at the same time are yielding all the gains that you are claiming while the ssv is either taking away some of that, adding to some of that, or doing nothing at all. im just saying that if you do 3 mods at once its pretty damn difficult (imo) to tell which mods the gains are coming from. did any of my logic make sense? lol sometimes i ramble and stop making sense
+1

If you got all 3 parts installed at the same time... you cant legitimately say that the SSV gained you any power. The stillen cat-back is the brunt of the gains that you're feeling. You probably gained about 7-10whp from the exhaust and another 1-2 from the intake, but the SSV lost you that extra 1-2 the intake gained you, so the only power increase you're feeling is the exhaust.
-GP-

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:05 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com
Premier Member
Originally Posted by toughG35
I don't think so. How could the SSV lose power? Look at the way it's designed.No way that Manifold lost power.
As it was stated earlier by Nismo... the SSV is pushing so much air into the engine that the fuel doesnt keep up, therefor throwing the air-to-fuel ratio off, resulting in running lean and either gaining no power... or worse, losing power. You have to know how all this stuff works to be able to understand what i'm talking about. Just because Kinetix website shows the dyno with the SSV manifold on an NA g35 doesnt mean that they didnt have the A/F ratio tuned to make the gains with the SSV.
-GP-

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
+1

If you got all 3 parts installed at the same time... you cant legitimately say that the SSV gained you any power. The stillen cat-back is the brunt of the gains that you're feeling. You probably gained about 7-10whp from the exhaust and another 1-2 from the intake, but the SSV lost you that extra 1-2 the intake gained you, so the only power increase you're feeling is the exhaust.
-GP-
This must be some kind of new math or something. I hope that adding 1+1 doesn't equal 3. What are you basing your numbers on? I fail to see how the SSV is losing power. Doesn't add up. I thought Hillary Clinton was controversial, but it looks like she can't hold a candle to the SSV manifold.

I just know that I am pleased with the performance of my manifold. Perhaps we should get Jamieson Luther at Kinetix to share his thoughts on this.

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:12 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Samson
This must be some kind of new math or something. I hope that adding 1+1 doesn't equal 3. What are you basing your numbers on? I fail to see how the SSV is losing power. Doesn't add up. I thought Hillary Clinton was controversial, but it looks like she can't hold a candle to the SSV manifold.

I just know that I am pleased with the performance of my manifold. Perhaps we should get Jamieson Luther at Kinetix to share his thoughts on this.
If your butt dyno can feel the power increase and you're happy with it then that's awesome for you. But a majority of the people that have run the SSV on an NA motor havent felt or been able to prove any gains. When you do modifications to the G other than FI or engine management, most of the time the gains you feel are all mental. You are re-assuring yourself that you're getting what you paid for.

I have an intake, plenum spacer and exhaust and i know that i've spent alot of money alone on those mods. But i also know that my car didnt get much faster. For the most part i did it all for the sound, and my car sounds damn good so i'm happy.
-GP-

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
If your butt dyno can feel the power increase and you're happy with it then that's awesome for you. But a majority of the people that have run the SSV on an NA motor havent felt or been able to prove any gains. When you do modifications to the G other than FI or engine management, most of the time the gains you feel are all mental. You are re-assuring yourself that you're getting what you paid for.

I have an intake, plenum spacer and exhaust and i know that i've spent alot of money alone on those mods. But i also know that my car didnt get much faster. For the most part i did it all for the sound, and my car sounds damn good so i'm happy.
-GP-
For the time being, all I have is a "butt dyno". I do believe the car performs better. I also love the sound. For me, it's the bomb, but to each his own. If you like your setup, more power to you. I think all of this discussion comes under the heading, "bench racing". Guys will always say what they want when they are together. We all know it. I won't make any outrageous claims, but do feel my car is more fun to drive.

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:26 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com
Premier Member
If you look at my Sig you will see my mods listed. Those bolt on mods made a huge difference on my car!My car pulls so much harder. It gets to 60mph so much faster. The sound of my car is so wicked, words can't describe how good it sounds. My car looks good, is really fast, and sounds so mean.I am really pleased with my car and it's so much more fun to drive. I know for a fact the SSV Manifold made a night and day difference on my car and was worth every penny!!
Like i said, as long as your happy, that's all that matters. But it still doesnt prove that the SSV provided you any real gains. Try putting on the MREV2 and then come back and tell me what you feel. The MREV2 is proven power so i guarantee you'll feel even more of a difference.
-GP-

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:07 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Premier Member
Those bolt on mods made a huge difference on my car!
Define huge.
My car pulls so much harder. It gets to 60mph so much faster.
How much faster?
The sound of my car is so wicked, words can't describe how good it sounds.
The problem with most mods is the sensation of sound and additional vibrations make you feel that much faster.
I know for a fact the SSV Manifold made a night and day difference on my car and was worth every penny!!
Without anything concrete it's hard to take your word for it. Here's a thread from my350z with dyno results. http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=kinetix

Old 10-16-2006 | 09:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Premier Member
Cool, as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters. Did the dyno sheets in the linked thread not register anything with you? No worries, I wasn't posting to try and convince you otherwise cause you know your car better than others do.

Have a good day,
Dick

Old 10-16-2006 | 09:15 PM
Overglorified Altima
^^lol that-a-boy dick!

Old 10-16-2006 | 10:32 PM
Wrote to Kinetix and got a reply

Guys: I wrote to Kinetix with the concerns you shared. I got a response back from Jamison Luther of Kinetix. Now I know some of you will say, "well it's his company, so of course he would say that". I too say in response to the dyno test that showed a power loss, that horsepower can be in the eyes of the beholder.

Here's my e-mail and response:
Dear Jamison: I bought an SSV Kinetix intake manifold. I absolutely love it and am pleased with the results.

I also belong to the G35driver forum. There is a thread where many
people are attacking the SSV manifold and say that it loses power, not
gains power on a naturally aspirated motor. They also say the manifold is
for looks and not for power.

I have stated as have several others that the manifold does indeed
make more power. I have shared about the dyno information, but they say that the dyno information can be false or not the same as actual power.

Is there a way you can challenge their assertions? I am trying to
represent Kinetix and the SSV manifold in a positive light.

His response:
I must thank you for trying to "spread the word"

The internet forum is a tricky place, and we stopped visiting them
because it was just too hard to "educate" and fight the others.

Unfortunately , when someone has a good experience with our product,
they go on with their lives happy with their purchase. Generally people only
post bad experiences.

I cant visit the forum. I can genuinely thank you though for the
support. If you want you can pass on the these following statements.

The SSV has been in production for almost 18 months with more than 400
manifolds in circulation. We have only have a few customers who have
issues with the power gains of the manifold. We always work with them to try and configure their particular setup to achieve the gains they want. Most often it is a tuning requirement. The SSV must be tuned in F/I format to maximize gains, sometimes if left untuned, you can lose power from spikes in the a/f curve. In N/A cars this is generally not required, but is always
helpful to maximize gains. If you dont have the gains you thought, run a good a/f curve when you dyno, and it will tell you if there is
something not right.

Thanks again for the support. We are still working as hard as
ever because the SSV is still on backed up due to demand!!

Guys, I think the people at Kinetix are honest and forthright about what they sell. As you can see, you can work with them. I think a few of you had an excellent idea about the piggyback and dyno tuning, which I may end up doing to maximize my power gains. I know this won't settle the issue permanently, but maybe it will put the Kinetix SSV manifold in a more positive light.

Last edited by Samson; 10-16-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2006 | 10:39 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com
Premier Member
Here you go Mr. Dictionary (Dick for short). IMO the car gained allot of power. I know the car is faster in a straight line. The car was fast before, but now it's like the motor has been woken up and is much more powerful. That's why i said "huge". My neighbor has a 2001 Ford Bullitt Mustang and that thing is fast. We did a couple of runs. Every run I did I beat him by 2-3 car lenths.His mustang has a few bolt on mods too. No the additional vibations did not make it feel faster. When my car was stock I couldn't keep up with the Bullitt Mustang, now I can beat him no problem. I don't want anyone giving me a bunch of BS that the Kinetix loses power. That is complete BS! I am very happy with the performance of my car and I guess that's why everyone gets mad at me when I say good things about the Kinetix Intake Manifold.

Its not so much that the SSV loses power that were talking about... its the fact that it doesnt show any major gains on an NA motor as advertised. You might gain 1-2 wheel hp on an NA motor.... if you compare $$ to HP that's more than i'd like to spend for 2 hp. The motordyne basic 5/16" spacer will gain you more than that for less than 1/4 the cost. If you got it for bling then that's a different story. But like rookie and I stated.. as long as you're happy with it that is all that matters.
Sincerely
Dick #2

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just installed Kinetix SSV manifold and HKS hi-power catback exhaust!!!