Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

NISMO, STILLEN, or INJEN CAI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NISMO, STILLEN, or INJEN CAI?

As all three are about the same price and I assume give about the same performance gains which one is easiest to install?

I'm leaning towards the NISMO because it prevents hydro lock.

Thoughts?

Old 11-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: NISMO, STILLEN, or INJEN CAI?

Nismo would be my pick, if those are the three you're comparing...Everyone here knows I'll never buy a Stillen product due to their rushed R&D practices and terrible customer service, and the Injen has had problems...So, since I can't say any of those things about Nismo, I'd go with that CAI...IMO

"All the Power in the World resides in the Eyes..."

Old 11-10-2003, 09:34 PM

Stillen Hater...[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Cinergi, I have the Stillen product and had Zero issues so far (8 months of use). Some say that it stalls in nuetral while driving just like the Injen product, but I have a 5AT. All of the products are good, but the Stillen works best when coupled with the Z-Pipe IMO.

Old 11-10-2003, 11:13 PM

i would say get the injen if ur not sceared with the hole stalling problem which i might be if i had a MT. The injen is good but does not get as much HP as the Injen. If ur willing to spend the money check out the Gruppe-M intake. its a ram air style.

Old 11-10-2003, 11:15 PM

I believe there was a dyno done to compare the stock airbox, aem cai (Nismo CAI [rebadged from AEM]), and the Injen. The winner on the dyno was the Injen. Although I know g35mt has the Nismo and says he loves it! I say whats the 2-3HP difference (if any realtime) and go with the one you think looks the best...might want to think reliability too (Injen problems?)

Old 11-13-2003, 04:57 PM

"i would say get the injen if ur not sceared with the hole stalling problem which i might be if i had a MT. The injen is good but does not get as much HP as the Injen."

LMAO, well which is it Carlos??

Old 11-13-2003, 06:47 PM

Why I decided on the 350Z air duct and Stillen CAI.

1 - It's a reasonably "stealthy" system.

2 - The air duct and filter enclosure (heat shield) are "plastic" and therefore the rate of heat transfer is lower than with the metal tubes. (Also it's not so pretty to keep me from insulating the duct.)

3 - The air inlet remains above the grill. Air temperatures tend to be much cooler at hood level than at road level.

4 - The chance of hydrolocking the engine is essentially eliminated. It has and will happen again with low mounted air filters.
Recommended reading: The 11-12-03 my350Z thread entitled "hydrolock". (Granted, this Z driver wasn't real smart, but ask yourself what you'd have done in the middle of traffic and nowhere else to go. I doubt that it would have happened with the Stillen setup).

5 - The pcv valve vents oil vapors and combustion gases into the air duct after the MAF senser, not before as on some other CAI systems.

6 - Stillen's CAI was originally designed for the G35 Sedan and reported to make 11 hp without a Z air duct. (I have as much faith Stillen's number as I do with Injen's number.) Also, I've been dealing with Stillen since 1998 and never had a problem. I can't say the same thing about some other popular companies often named on this forum.)

DaveO

138103-DaveO Engine F.JPG

Old 11-15-2003, 02:56 PM

go with injen cai for best performance. my friend has the 350z tube and sillen air box setup- which he paid more than $100 on his setup than my injen cai. volkracing hooked me up w. brand new polished injen cai that i installed myself. my friend paid something like $320. after driving each others cars we both agree my setup gets more power. his sounds nice too but if youre looking for a performance mod for numbers injen all the way. water, stalling, all the other criticisms are heresay no problems with mine.

Old 11-16-2003, 06:52 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm leaning toward the Stillen too, since I have a Z pipe....I've just got to locate a dealer here in Ontario. I'm sure the price would be cheaper than ordering from south of the border.
I like the idea of keeping the inlet up high, and maintaining the ram effect.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-17-2003, 07:21 PM

If I already had the Z-tube, I'd go with the Stillen.

If I wanted the best looking one, I'd get the Injen.

If I wanted the safest one, I'd get the Nismo.

From what I've read, the Nismo and Injen are equal performers, so I picked the Nismo (genuine Nissan, plus water bypass valve in case of puddles).

I ordered my Nismo intake today from:

http://www.nissanwholesaleparts.com/

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 11-17-2003, 07:52 PM

does anyone know if the stillen box removes the 2nd or 3rd resonator thats in the actual air box. im not talking about the one in the tube.

thanks.

Old 11-17-2003, 09:20 PM
ijk

how about the K&N Typhoon that is gonna be out soon....??
is that any good?

Old 11-17-2003, 11:19 PM

If you want to wait, I'm more than likely going to sell my used Injen for a low price ($100 or less). I will put up a classified once I go through with it. Also my Borla exhaust may be sold as well....prolly in the $400 range.

Old 11-17-2003, 11:20 PM

ijk, I will get dyno numbers on the K&N for you... just PM me a reminder. I know that Jason from Performance Nissan is going to put it on his 350Z and dyno it so I'm going to get numbers from him...

Old 11-18-2003, 02:39 AM

Just curious... Would the NISMO CAI fit the sedan as well? I am not sure since this unit is designed for the Z...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NISMO, STILLEN, or INJEN CAI?