Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen Box 1/4 mile comparisons! Stock box vs stillen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Most likely due to track conditions and temps rather than an intake.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.1 sec .. not bad..

Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
I don't agree,

I ran my car many times stock. On different nights! I am a track junky. I drag all my cars often.

My G35 runs 14.4 stock. I can squeak out a very high 14.3 every once in a while.

Once I put that Stillen on, my car would run 14.2 consistently. I went to the track two weeks apart and the car STILL ran 14.2 and 14.1's with the Stillen.

The Stillen box DOES work on my car. I picked up a SOLID .2 tenths with it.

My 60 foots were the same stillen or not. I even tried leaving it in full auto to take the human error factor out. Guess what? The car STILL ran .2 tenths faster.

Were not talking rocket science here. Also, 14.1 isn’t really that fast. I just wanted to let people know that my Stillen worked for ME. I tested it vs stock at the drag strip numerous times. Not many people do that. They just love to talk about statistics and never back them up with real world times.

There are always pessimists on all boards. No matter what you do they are never satisfied. I found that to be true on the Corvette forums as well.

I used a Vortex box on my C6 auto and picked up a solid .3 tenths. I was running 13.0 flat stock. After the box I ran 12.7’s all day long. I did the same sort of test I did with my G35. I swapped boxes at the strip and ran back to back.

The pessimists there said it had something to do with Torqe Management being fooled with the Vortex. I didn’t really care in the end. It made my C6 faster! Now if a Tune was available at the time I could have disabled TM and then tested the numbers again but alas there was no tune available.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Hate to bring this back up, but i am doing research on Stillen Intakes.

With that said, wasnt this guy posting that he changed out the intake on the same day? So track condiutions and such wouldnt change?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by BolivianFuego
Hate to bring this back up, but i am doing research on Stillen Intakes.

With that said, wasnt this guy posting that he changed out the intake on the same day? So track condiutions and such wouldnt change?

sure they would. different times of the day. maybe the air density/humidity
was different?

any how, good stuff, always nice to see when lil money can make a difference.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:29 PM
lol weather is negligible(sp). The most important part of tracks is weather which cannot be a big factor unless its 60degrees to say 80-90. Thats a big difference, 5 degrees up or not much beyond that doesnt factor that much. As long as you keep your car nice and cool between runs you'll be fine. I;ve been to the drag track plenty of times.

But yea i was talking about track conditions, some tracks can friggin' keep their track really bad shape. Thank god around me MIR(maryland International raceway) is one of the best kept tracks in the country so that never plays a factor, tons of VHT to keep her sticky!!!

I might have to do a comparison come october when the weather is nice and cool for me get the best times possible. hehe

Old 07-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took my stillen airbox out of my car while at the track back in February. Picked up a couple mph going back to the k&n panel filter.

Here's the thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...=200404&page=2

Start on message 21.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:23 PM
INteresting! How big is the opening on the Z-tube? Is it 3 inches?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
performance gains are the sum of all mods plus proper tune.

To say a stock box vs after market does xxx really doesnt amount to much.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Not necessarily! If anything Dyno gains are negligible, and the true test is back to back runs at the qt. mile because times dont lie, there is always variance especially on the most used dynos dynojets...not so much dynapacks but they cost a pretty penny so you dont see much of those around!

And yes a tune will get the most power out, but adding on an intake compared to the stock counter part, depending on the car can give some power. I'd say in this case it did, considereing the rise in Trap Speed.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I have to admit this is pretty interesting and I don't how I missed it. I will say, and have said it MANY times before, I have yet to see a 3rd party dyno that shows the Stillen, JWT, or CAI intakes making any useable power. There are quite a few people that have dynoed these intakes and the numbers were 0 to 4whp and that 4whp was found in the upper rpm range and really does no good in terms of acceleration for numerous reasons I won't bore you with right now. Additionally, these intakes were most likely dynoed with the hood up, essentially venting all underhood heat.

According to the poster, the intake was good for roughly .16 seconds and 1.3mph when you consider best ET/MPH from each run. My question would be, what was his best MPH before the intake and his best MPH after the intake. I'm not really concerned about ET because there are just too many influences at hand when you're measuring such a small snap shot of time. MPH is the indicator of HP. I have found that my car is extremely consistent when it comes to MPH. My car is usually within .5mph to .7mph of each run which really good, but it's still a difference which someone could attribute to a mod change at the strip. We also don't know if he was running in 80 degree weather, went and ate, came back a couple of hours later and the sun was down and the temp was 15+ degree cooler. It makes a difference. 1.3mph gain in trap suggests to me that intake would technically be good for at least 10whp across the powerband, yet I have to see a dyno suggesting this. Additionally, two of this site's most avid drag racers (Klubb and Trey) both had Stillen intakes and when they removed them, their cars were actually quicker and had better driveability. For me, I'm a bit more willing to trust their findings and the posted dynos vs trusting this particular guy's experience.

I think this test was really good though, it's just missing critical information like:

1) conditions
2) when the runs were done
3) entire breakdown of the runs
4) Best MPH before and after

Old 07-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen post on here that people were getting about 3 more HP at 6100Rpm, like Dave B said in his post. Also Stillen even states that the HP gain is on upper RPM range. I know the Stillen CAI setup has a velocity ring which channels the air quicker into the intake, but I currently didn't feel any change in my preformance when I installed mine. However, in colder weather I may see a little more.

The reason I installed it is that I got a good price. However, it does sound more aggressive than the stock box.