Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

HKS: fake vs. real

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2007 | 11:55 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by accordfreak
who is going to crawl under your car just to stare at the tips..
you don't have to be under the car to see the tips....the tips are very clearly visible without having to go under the car...

I noticed all the guys bashing the replicas are HKS owners.. little bitter?
yep. we know what's good. we hear the real thing everyday and are able to better compare the real hks to the replica hks. others probably have not heard the real deal before or have only heard it a few times and thus they cannot make a good comparison.

i suppose "what's good" is subjective, though. but if people are looking for hks, then they probably have a similar idea of "what's good" so..

Old 03-06-2007 | 11:58 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
who is going to crawl under your car just to stare at the tips..

if it sounds good, flows well, and has good welds, i'd buy it.

i agree with 2slo2bfurious- all parts for our cars are overpriced.

I noticed all the guys bashing the replicas are HKS owners.. little bitter?

as for the turbo honda guy up top.. you don't have a 30lb turbo and a 8lb wastegate sitting on top of the piping with no flexibility. I agree i wouldn't buy a replica turbo manifold but this replica exhausts/piping is on rubber hangers with 2 flex pipes with not even the same amount of heat a turbo manifold produces.

and that video that supershick posted is with test pipes so it doesn't sound the same as if you had the oem cats on.

well said

Old 03-07-2007 | 12:07 AM
Overglorified Altima
hell, i'm all for replica parts if theyre cheaper and get the same job done.

i have replica skirts and i'm getting a replica strut bar. i have nothing against replica parts so as long they do the job.

my impul skirts get the job done...look goot to me...i'm getting a replica strut bar for the looks...so that gets the job done for me..

perhaps i'm more picky than you guys but, if i wanted to buy an exhaust for its looks then it would not be this. the tips just don't cut it for me. i could buy realy hks tips to replace it, but 575 + 200ish = 775 already.

if i wanted to buy this for the sound, and that video that supershick posted was of a 350z which gives us an idea of what it sounds like. but imo, g and z exhausts sound different anyway. but in this clip, it sounds a bit deeper..not what i was looking for when i bought my hks..i like the high pitched almost "exotic" sound.

so basically, this replica exhaust doesnt meet either of my standards. but maybe my standards are just too high

i also dont believe in "settling" when it can be helped..saving a lil more money wont hurt..but again, thats just me..