Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Fast Intentions Intimidator observation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast Intentions Intimidator observation

After looking at a bunch of y-pipes, I noticed that nearly all of them have a section that is braided - I guess to compensate flex from engine movement.

Now I'm left wondering why Fast Intentions didn't include that in their Intimidator exhaust system.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The FastIntentions Intimidator system is simply too good for the flex-joints.

In all honesty, Im not sure why it doesnt have any flex points. It just works?

Old 07-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
flex joints have definately been addressed in another thread by Rick, i think it was the same thread as the ti tips...HTH

Old 07-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
some good reading.

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
There is flex in the system. We have retained the rubber mounts and allowed for system torquing with the use of flanges for all of the coupled joints.

We have also verified that there is no binding in the system - unlike most all of the other systems - which then require flex joints. I have noticed with most all of the of the clamped systems, that there is a lot of binding that occurs - primarily because exact fitment cannot be guaranteed with slip fit systems - hence the use of clamps. This system is designed to be an exact fitment - no clamps at all - all flanged.

There should be no issues with cracking at all. I have been running this system on my car for thousands of miles already, with headers as well for many miles with zero issues - the test car has may miles too.

Rick
Originally Posted by DaveB
Nissan puts flex sections in the stock exhaust for a reason.....to reduce NVH. I know the FI system doesn't use flex sections nor does Borla, Stillen, and most others. I think HKS is the only one that was smart enough to incorporate flex sections into their design. You may want to consider having a shop install some 2.5" flex sections into the y-pipe while you're getting the other work done.
flex joints are used to relieve binding in an exhaust system - it allows a certain amount of travel for the exhaust as to not break headers/manifolds or CATS, etc, that are in a fixed installation.

Most all aftermarket systems are made far more stout than a factory system, thereby not requiring flex joints, as long as the jigs are made properly and to tolerance, there will be no binding in the system and the rubber mounts will provide the needed flexibility under general driving conditions as heat expands the system and tolerances get even closer.
Nissan uses flex joints as their exhaust system is made to Zero tolerance specifications. Therefore flex joints are needed to allow some play in the system, otherwise they would be replacing manifolds and CATS due to the stress relief need, for expansion due to excessive heat, over time.
Originally Posted by DaveB
The purpose of the flex sections is to reduce NVH (primarily vibration and harshness) and to let the exhaust move freely instead of torquing the exhaust manifolds and cats. The flex section removes vibration by letting the engine move more freely from the exhaust. The flex sections along with the exhaust hangers and engine mounts dissipate vibration. When you remove the flex sections, you'll get more vibration. It's really that simple. I've installed numerous exhausts on my last three car. I quickly learned the value of the flex sections and I should have known better prior to buying the Borla system, but I was too dumb and believed what I read on this site from those saying it didn't cause any additional NVH. It was quite obvious after installing the Borla TD that it was creating a lot of vibration. You could literally see the pipes vibrating at idle and you could feel heavy vibration through the muffler. Under load, the increased vibration was pretty apparent. In a 350Z, it would be fairly acceptable, in a G35 is seemed a bit too much.

Last edited by Calvin; 07-07-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All of the posts that have been sighted are relevant. Thanks all!

It really comes down to fitment and design to spec. Borla and many others will vibrate - you can see the tips shaking, and that will cause CATS and manifolds to break. You wont see that on the Intimidator, Stillen and HKS. (see, I'm not bashing all competitors )

So - what we have seen and heard maybe 1-2 times, are a set of FI CATS or testpipes that have cracked. I mean literally 1 time - possibly a 2nd - but I really think just once. It was coupled with a Fuji and other Y-pipe and other mid pipe back system...and that is where the problem is. We were able to verify as well that those systems cracked and had issues prior to the CATS or others being put in place as well. IE: the y-pipe broke a few times before the CATS/pipes were put in to begin with.

There have been ZERO issues regarding this with the Intimidator system that we know of, otherwise, and actually, at all.

Feel free to ask away for anything else you have questions on.

Rick

Old 07-10-2007, 02:07 PM
A Stillen Engine Damper should also help a bit for those systems with no flex sections.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I'm reviving it.

Anyone with the FI exhause have issues with the flexing? Let me know, I am really considering this exhaust system. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:13 AM
I'd say - try and search for that answer - but you'd be hard pressed to find issues with this exhaust system. I'm not trying to tout more than necessary, but there have been no bad posts or threads in the 1 1/2 years since the inaugural introduction of the Intimidator system.

I'll take that back now, just for a second, as a few threads have come up, been resolved or realized that the issue was installer related, car tune or mod related - resulting in the OP deleting their thread in the end.

It really is a damn good product!

Rick

Old 09-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I hear ya. I search and I haven't found anything bad. I'm planning to keep my ride stock for the most part. Only installing the z-tube, K&N filter, and this exhaust.

I don't think I need to to get it tune and I'm not making any other major modifications. If anything, I can only think the installation is where it could go wrong.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Banned
You're going to love it!! I have mine since the beginning and have had no issues except people wanting to steal it!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:35 AM
what's the difference between the polished and the stainless steel? I look a pictures and it looks like on both, mufflers and tips are polished on either set. Is the polished set polished all the way through (x-pipe, etc.) and stainless steel is only mufflers and tips polished? Thanks.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by KapVu
what's the difference between the polished and the stainless steel? I look a pictures and it looks like on both, mufflers and tips are polished on either set. Is the polished set polished all the way through (x-pipe, etc.) and stainless steel is only mufflers and tips polished? Thanks.
You got it...

All of the systems have polished mufflers, tips and extensions. The full polished system is polished pipe, X, etc.

Rick

Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Well I decided to get one, can't wait til it arrives and installed. Thanks for the help!!! Great info!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Great info on the flex pipe section Calvin
Thanks

Old 05-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
This should be a sticky

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fast Intentions Intimidator observation