Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Weapon-R Oil Catch Tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The PCV is on the passenger side valve cover, I don't think you're going to get much oil from the driverside breather but I could be wrong.

The ARC catch has 3 ports on it. PCV on passenger side, driverside breather, and the port on the intake. I think it comes with a plug for the lower collector port.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea - that is on the wrong side of the motor.

Catch cans are designed to go in line on the PCV system, to prevent the vapors of blowby from entering the intake manifold and thus, entering the combustion chamber.

The PCV system on the car has several hoses and bank connections. You have the obvious breather element that goes into the intake, post MAF, on the driver's side. You have a hose that connects the 2 banks at the front of the plenum, and you have the PCV valve connection to the lower manifold (front of plenum vacuum line connection).

The cross connected hose between the banks, balances the pressure between the banks via the PCV valve suction. The reason there is a breather on the the drivers side, is for excess blow-by as well as when the PCV valve is closed - to protect against a PCV failure.

Oil catch cans are to be installed in line between the PCV and the upper plenum, where the mass majority of crankcase ventilation occurs. Some have installed an ADDITIONAL one on the drivers side as well, as FI's tend to have extreme blow-by and the breather vapor is enough to warrant it, however, that catch can is only in line on that connection and does not connect at all to the PCV based system.

Rick

Last edited by ISMSOLUTIONS; 09-22-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
+2

I had two catch cans on my car. One was on the PVC and the other was on the intake/driver valve cover side. The driver's side didn't get hardly any oil in months as where the PVC side got tons.

I would get new hose and move it to the PVC side.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it even possible to replace the hoses and put it on the other side???

Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What size does the black hose say on the outside? Does the Weapon R tank look like it can have the fittings changed?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by johnjayb
With smaller hoses? No. I'm waiting for the welder to get here so I can change the can a bit to fit it to the other side.

This is the last product I'll buy from Weapon-R for a while. Their Engine Dampner mounts to the intake plenum, another sh*tty design.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by johnjayb
Yes. You need to re-route the PCV hose to the catch can input, and route the output to the plenum. There are several adapters made to accommodate the change in size of the hoses as well.

The DIY for the catch can is really the best and most affordable way to do all of this. It costs about $23 to setup the PCV side, and about $17 to setup the breather side. It takes about 1 hour to build and install both - if your REALLY taking your time.

The catch cans that are used, can be polished, painted to match the car or black to hide, etc.

Rick

Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by rookie
What size does the black hose say on the outside? Does the Weapon R tank look like it can have the fittings changed?
The fittings can always be modified, unless they are directly attached to an internal plenum/baffle. In this case, you would cut them short or just weld the new fitting directly on the ends of the current ones.

Rick

Old 09-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK a basic question. Isn't the oil tank almost a must for FI but minimal advantages for NA?

Old 09-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Grocery getter

Not IMO. The VQ burns a lot of oil and this can help anyone.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You can always get a barbed adapter to change the hosing size in the middle of the line so you don't have to modify the weapon r catch can

Old 09-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by fortified
OK a basic question. Isn't the oil tank almost a must for FI but minimal advantages for NA?
VQ's from 2005 and up (not HR) to me, and many others, injest more oil than any car I have seen. There is an extreme amount of blow by on these cars.

Depending on your NA setup - you could be fine. If you have mild bolt ons, you should be OK. If you get to headers and testpipes/HFC's - good idea to get the catch can. If you build the motor - you'll likely get a higher compression and stroked version build - for NA purposes, and that will increase blow by.

For FI - if 5 lbs or lower - especially SC - your probably OK...I'd still get one though. Anything above 5 lbs - is a must. These cars and the valve trains are on the edge of passing oil through the seals, from the factory to begin with. Any increase in crankcase pressure, makes it all worse.

Rick

Old 09-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Grocery getter

I like that style can and found one for $77 shipped. I think I will be getting one.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
VQ's from 2005 and up (not HR) to me, and many others, injest more oil than any car I have seen. There is an extreme amount of blow by on these cars.

Depending on your NA setup - you could be fine. If you have mild bolt ons, you should be OK. If you get to headers and testpipes/HFC's - good idea to get the catch can. If you build the motor - you'll likely get a higher compression and stroked version build - for NA purposes, and that will increase blow by.

For FI - if 5 lbs or lower - especially SC - your probably OK...I'd still get one though. Anything above 5 lbs - is a must. These cars and the valve trains are on the edge of passing oil through the seals, from the factory to begin with. Any increase in crankcase pressure, makes it all worse.

Rick
Well, I have an 04 5AT NA, uses very little oil. About 5-7K miles it might use a pint before I change it. I doubt I will go beyond my spacer and likely a better cat back exhaust in the future. I could practically eat off the inside of the plenum when I installed the spacer. It was super clean.
Of course, as any engine get miles on them blow-by always increases some. For now sounds like not an issue. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by fortified; 09-22-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who sells these? and where for $77??? haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weapon-R Oil Catch Tank