Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Weapon-R Oil Catch Tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fortified
Well, I have an 04 5AT NA, uses very little oil. About 5-7K miles it might use a pint before I change it. I doubt I will go beyond my spacer and likely a better cat back exhaust in the future. I could practically eat off the inside of the plenum when I installed the spacer. It was super clean.
Of course, as any engine get miles on them blow-by always increases some. For now sounds like not an issue. Thanks for the info!
Glad the info helped. Another tid bit for you as well, when you do HFC's, headers, etc...it will get worse. It's the changes in dynamic and performance and lack of backpressure (resistance) that will cause more blow by. How much more? Almost every car is different. I have to say, these cars are the most inconsistent I have ever seen.

Rick

Old 09-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Glad the info helped. Another tid bit for you as well, when you do HFC's, headers, etc...it will get worse. It's the changes in dynamic and performance and lack of backpressure (resistance) that will cause more blow by. How much more? Almost every car is different. I have to say, these cars are the most inconsistent I have ever seen.

Rick
I only plan a catback at this stage. But understand the theory. Yeah, they do seem to differ quite a bit. Either that, or the mods we do are having some effects we were are not aware of.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ISM, Do you think I should invest in an oil catch can? I pretty much have every bolt on except cams, and would hate to clog up my PE cats or ARC titan exhaust with blow by I also run my G quite hard, but keep her well maintained and use 6L of motul 8100 econergy with the arc oil pan.

hmmm. I think I just answered my own question.

I know the diy is quite effective and cheap, I'm an ARC ***** and now that I removed the snorkel, the v.2 woulf fill in that space quite nicely. Disregarding price, do you think the v.2 is an ok design? I would assume there are baffles inside that would help prevent the oil once collected to be suked back out?

With a catch can the size of the ARC, how often do you think it would be required to empty out the can?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Yes. You need to re-route the PCV hose to the catch can input, and route the output to the plenum. There are several adapters made to accommodate the change in size of the hoses as well.

Rick
I plan on stopping by Weapon-R on Monday to see if they have anyway to fix this thing to connect to the other side... but just in case, can you point the way to a few of these adapters?

Originally Posted by andy2434
Looks good, Don. What type of hose did you end up using?
Just some rubber hosing that I found lying around.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, I did the DIY "oil catch can" and within the first 20 miles of driving I had about 1 teaspoon of oil collected. I wish I would have done this earlier.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
ISM, Do you think I should invest in an oil catch can? I pretty much have every bolt on except cams, and would hate to clog up my PE cats or ARC titan exhaust with blow by I also run my G quite hard, but keep her well maintained and use 6L of motul 8100 econergy with the arc oil pan.

hmmm. I think I just answered my own question.

I know the diy is quite effective and cheap, I'm an ARC ***** and now that I removed the snorkel, the v.2 woulf fill in that space quite nicely. Disregarding price, do you think the v.2 is an ok design? I would assume there are baffles inside that would help prevent the oil once collected to be suked back out?

With a catch can the size of the ARC, how often do you think it would be required to empty out the can?
OK - at least you didn't ask too many questions

I put a catch can on my car within 1000 miles of driving based on what the intake plenum looked like when I put the spacer on at about 750 miles. I've used catch cans in my cars for 20 years+ - most of the cars were built to some degree as well.

If you want the ARC - great...I don't know much about it personally - I've done the DIY build almost exactly as it is outlined, for more than 20 years.

Mine - the DIY type - holds about 2 ounces of oil total, with the stainless mesh inside. I empty it about 1 time per month - and it is about 1/2 full at that time - this is the PCV side can. The breather can I have - was installed about 10 months ago - I still haven't needed to empty it - it MIGHT be about a 1/4 full.

Now - take this into consideration - my car is a Vortech charged car, just about 12lbs of boost, heads, cams and more. If I had a tank the size of the ARC, I'd probably drain it every 6 months - just for the hell of it.

AND REMEMBER - all of these cars are different...if you want to use mine as a benchmark - do so with a grain of salt.

Rick

Old 09-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
but just in case, can you point the way to a few of these adapters?
Your local hardware store will have brass barbs - you will need the 3/8 - 5/8 barb - should resolve your problems. Again, I am not very familiar with the ARC can as pictured, so I may be off on the sizes. In any event, a vehicle specific unit should have everything you need.

Rick

Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyone else have this installed?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone else? did the moving hoses to other side work???

Old 12-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I just bought one today for $70.30 shipped. I going to mod it fit the PCV side, I'll post pic's as soon as I'm done. (Maybe I DIY)

Last edited by citymunky; 12-29-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Please do. I still need to get one since I sold my Greddy catch can and am using the small air comp one for now. It fills up too fast.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150DS
What is the benefit over a $10 ebay oil catch can?

The size. As the oil vapor enters that very large can, the velocity slows considerably and give oil time to condense and "fall out" into the can. In a small can, it doesn't stay in the can as long. I would hope that they put some "mist extractor" material in the can some where to help with the condensation formation.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:49 PM
So I order the catch can on the 29 Dec, and I finally get it today the 11 Jan (shipped on the 4th), what a long wait.

Well here are some pictures, I mostly likely will be waiting on my MREV2 to get back, so I can do it all at once.

Also, the welds are not that great looking, but when it's install I will not be able to see 90% of them, so it doesn't bother me. And can somebody help me figure out why was the hose tied in a knot. Now it's deformed.

Attached Thumbnails Weapon-R Oil Catch Tank-p1110237.jpg   Weapon-R Oil Catch Tank-p1110238.jpg   Weapon-R Oil Catch Tank-p1110239.jpg  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Looks decent for the price.

Can you post or PM me where you got yours. I still need to pick up one.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 PM
No problem Tim

Most of the bad welds are on the bottom, so out of sight, out of mind.
I ordered my tank for Here: http://www.turbowholesale.com/catalo...n-p-14395.html

And don't worry that "Rush Sale" have been going on for like 2 weeks already.

Oh, do anybody know that Weapon R made intakes for the VQ35DE?? Who knew??

Dragon Intake
Secret Weapon Intake

Last edited by citymunky; 01-12-2008 at 12:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weapon-R Oil Catch Tank