Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Strup headers on 2003 sedan worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strup headers on 2003 sedan worth it?

I have seen 1 dyno on a 350z that gave impressive results with the strup headers but I believe the 350z has the revup engine in it. Are the strup headers worthwhile on a non-revup engine? Are there any other headers that may be worth looking into?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dont bother with headers unless you plan on doing test pipes or HFC with it. Header install will cost you almost as much as the headers, and its a difficult install that takes a long time.

You would also need a tune to make everything work together or you might run lean. I currently have strup headers with Berk HFCs, waiting on my FI exhaust.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I agree, most VQ headers don't do much to justify the install price. If you have a great hookup on install or DIY they do help.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
That is the thing I do have a great hookup on an install so install with cost me nothing, maybe a 12 pack. The strup dyno looks very convincing but without other dyno proof I have a hard time justifying it. The gains on that dyno look very worthwhile.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by wootwoot123
That is the thing I do have a great hookup on an install so install with cost me nothing, maybe a 12 pack. The strup dyno looks very convincing but without other dyno proof I have a hard time justifying it. The gains on that dyno look very worthwhile.
I my opinion all headers are basically the same. Strup is just a copy of the DC header. The only one that stands out is the crawford which has equal length runners. It does make more power then the others but is much more difficult to install. Some had to lift the engine to make it fit. However the price difference does not match the power difference. I have had strup headers for a year now with no problems and I do daily drive and track my car.

If you dont plan to change out your stock cats with HFC or test pipes I say save your money. You are getting headers to free up your exhaust only to have your stock cats create a bottle neck. I also had my headers coated by Jett hot, which keeps underhood temps lower.

Last edited by Derek173; 01-10-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I will be putting test pipes on as well as the coupe midpipe. I am trying to figure out if this is worthwhile moneywise before I take the plunge and hook all of this up. Do you feel the gains were worthwhile? What year and model of g35 do you have? I am surprised that for a mod that seems fairly common both here and on the 350z forums there are so few dynos.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2003 coup and I thought I felt some gains on high speed. I have intake, plenum, headers, test pipes, Fi exhaust with custom x-pipe.... definitly was worth it for me. Strup headers are well made.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by wootwoot123
I will be putting test pipes on as well as the coupe midpipe. I am trying to figure out if this is worthwhile moneywise before I take the plunge and hook all of this up. Do you feel the gains were worthwhile? What year and model of g35 do you have? I am surprised that for a mod that seems fairly common both here and on the 350z forums there are so few dynos.
most people dont dyno after every mod.. I know I dont, but wish I did.

Honestly I would not bother with headers and test pipes unless you plan to add a utec or ECU flash. You might not need it but I would have the car put on a dyno to check/air fuel ratio before and after install. I gained more
horespower after a tune then I did with headers/HFC alone.

While the headers added HP there was a dip in the power band that I could feel at WOT, around 6k rpm my car felt like its fuel pump cut off which was very scary at 120mph down the main straight at Road America .

Dyno testing confirmed it and I got my car retuned after HFC install now it pulls hard it feels like a brand new car and I have had it for 80,000 miles now

I always planned on staying NA so my mods are worth it. I need my car to be a daily driver even in snow. I knew I wasnt going to turbo/supercharger so I just wanted to get the most out of it NA. However if you plan on a turbo or something in the future dont bother with headers and NA stuff. Save for a turbo and engine build

Do some research on Turbo XS Utec, its a plug and play that holds several different engine maps so whatever you plan on in the future you can always retune. When you get a new car you can just resell it unlike a ECu flash which is only slightly cheaper.

Last edited by Derek173; 01-10-2008 at 04:26 PM.