Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

HP gains from Header, CAI, Mufflers, OBX Spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HP gains from Header, CAI, Mufflers, OBX Spacer

I have an 04 G35 sedan and am just now getting into tunning it. I had it dynoed recently at 283hp and 276ft/lbs at the rear wheel. I have purchased and injen cold air intake, OBX throttle body spacer, Stainless Steel 3-1 Racing Headers, and a dual Cat-Back system which I plan to install as soon as they arrive. Can anyone tell me how much horsepower I can expect to gain? Also, will I need to get it custom tuned? If so where could I go? I don't know of anywhere around here that can do that kind of thing.

Oh yeah, I know this is wrong question for category, but does anyone know how I can load a pic of my ride next to my username? Thanks

Old 01-20-2008, 02:04 AM
You dyno'd 283/276 stock? That doesn't seem right... most people are around 230ish whp/wtq.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:52 AM
prolly a freespin..what they call them here..meanin it had no resistance on the wheels to signify weight or the real world.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
your car did not make 283hp and 276ft/lbs.

Throttle body spacer makes no power. Headers dont do much unless you get test pipes/HFC and are very hard to install. Some headers (borla) lose power.

I suggest you do a lot of searching on this site before your waste money.

The G35 coupe is rated at 280 @ the flywheel... the sedan a bit less i think, so how are you making 283 at the rear wheels? Did they remove the engine from the car and do an engine dyno?

Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by fast04G
prolly a freespin..what they call them here..meanin it had no resistance on the wheels to signify weight or the real world.

Even if it was a freespin... the power has to go through the drivetrain. So he would still have less. He is claiming to have more power at the wheels then the engine makes.

Whoever did his dyno had no clue what they were doing or they ripped him off.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:23 PM
If you plan to do headers and the whole exhaust system, you need to go get everything dynoed after install and get an A/F ratio. You will probably run lean and need it tuned. When I added headers I lost some top end power and the engine would knock at 6000-6300 rpm untill I had it tuned.

You said you needed a place to tune it but didnt bother to tell us your location and I cant find the state/city named "down south baby" so I cant help you with that. The best piece of advice I can give you is put your credit card away and do some research.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what kind of magic dyno was ur sedan on? Were you at a "shop" named vrt?

Old 01-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
what kind of magic dyno was ur sedan on? Were you at a "shop" named vrt?

Old 01-20-2008, 06:16 PM
It should not matter what kind of dyno he used as long as after the mods he dynos on the same machine.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wootwoot123
It should not matter what kind of dyno he used as long as after the mods he dynos on the same machine.
r u kidding me? That would usually be the case if the dyno was functioning properly, but look at those base numbers?
That's ridiculous. That's more to the wheels than what is claimed by Infiniti to the crank. Who the hell would want to continue to find out power gains from mods on a dyno that clearly has mechanical/electrical problems or a very retarded tech operating the dyno.

I don't care if those numbers are corrected or not, that run was either a random error/dyno malfunction, or the dyno and operator are operating in a different dimension.

Either way, I would take it to another shop and another dyno for a base line run and for future dyno runs (unless of course the original place offers some more free runs to see what the problem is)

To the op: Do you have the dyno chart showing the 283 whp and 276 lbs tq The reason why I roll my eyes is because I would be rolling my eyes at the dyno operator and the shop's owner of that dyno that gave you those numbers.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Factory Freak???

lol jk

Old 01-21-2008, 08:54 AM
After posting this, I was looking around and realized that those numbers didn't quite sound right. I called the shop that done the dyno and they assured me is was correct. Still confused I took it to another shop where they only got 231 at the wheels. So yeah, I guess those guys do have a bit of a problem with thier equipment or something. My bad for not catching that before I posted.

I am in Nashville TN and I'm sure there are shops around here but just don't know how to find them.

I have done my research and after posting this, ordered the MREV2 and the 5/16 iso spacer, and also some high flow cats. I know these cars are alot different than a normal imports when it comes to tuning, I was just curious if anyone else had tried the mods that I mentioned. I figure worst case senerio, I loose power and have to take the stuff back off. Just looking for some opinions.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Hope you didnt get the kienetix HFCs... mine make a nasty rattling sound at high revs, gona change em out soon.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
you should definitely get your money back! there's simply no justification why you wasted you money for that BS dyno. Just ask them if all of their cars dyno over factory crank ratings? You should simply get your money back for the simple stupidity of their operator for not knowing that reading isn't "correct"

Why did you get MREV2? i think a simple spacer would be sufficient for your application.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM
I tried to to telll him to put his wallet away, now he has an Mrev2 for a non rev-up engine. Still hasnt bothered to tell us what exhaust/HFC/Test pipes he has ordered.

oh well, lost cause. Simply searching could have saved him hundreds of dollars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HP gains from Header, CAI, Mufflers, OBX Spacer