Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

My case study on the short ram vs. CAI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My case study on the short ram vs. CAI

greetings all.
i have the injen CAI on my G35 coupe, and i decided to clean it last night. after taking the extension piece out, that goes into the wheelwell, and taking the filter off, i noticed that it was filthy. i cleaned it off, and dried it (using the tube from my clothesdryer) and went searching for some filter oil. when i realized that i didn't have any, and since it was 10:30pm, i simply put the filter onto the end of the short ram, and left the CAI extension on my bench. my intent is to get some filter oil on my lunch break, and oil it right away, since i didn't want to have to pull the filter out of the wheelwell again. now that you know the background....

....my first impressions are that it is noticeably less torquey. noticeably. as far as top end it might be the same, but torque and throttle response off of the line have diminished. nothing terrible, but i can actually tell. this may help some with their filter/intake selection. many say that the short ram filters give more bang for the buck, and i guess i would agree, but it became blatantly obvious that the long tube CAI's give more torque and throttle response...at least off of the line. it is also quieter too, since i don't have the long tube and wheelwell to use as a resonator.

you can agree, or disagree, i don't care...i just thought that i would share my experience with everyone.

what is your take?

Chad

Old 04-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: My case study on the short ram vs. CAI

Theirs a post floating around my350z.com made some time ago where a guy did pretty much the same thing. Difference is he went to the track with both setups. The short ram was slower on the track. I cannot remeber if the poster made any comments on the powerband.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 04-06-2004, 01:22 PM

thank you. it's nice to have some outside confirmation...to know i'm not crazy, at least.

Chad

Old 04-06-2004, 10:51 PM

No you are crazy [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2004, 11:45 PM

Variables? Hot underhood air vs. cold air?

"Long ram CAIs trade low end torque for high end horsepower"... an old wive's tale?

I've reviewed a few long and short ram dyno charts I've collected. Interesting... if typical (& true).

DaveO - 2003 G35 Sedan / DP / Willow / AT / Premium / Sport
350Z Engine Cover, T-Stat & Air Duct / Stillen CAI
GG 7-Wire H-G Kit / TS ECU / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust

Old 04-07-2004, 09:41 PM

I had the K/N Typhoon short ram on my sedan for a few weeks. It had great sound, but I noticed a pretty steep decline in low end and I couldnt take it. Little to no top end increase that I could tell. I took it off and put a K/N panel filter in the stock box and was happy with the return of low end and better flow up top. I now just have that and the Stillen dual x-pipe exhaust, and UR pulley set. I'm happy with those and have plenty of low end.

I recently had the 30K service done and got a sedan loaner with 13K on it and was amazed at how sluggish it felt off the line compared to mine. And I run nothing but 87 gas, unless I know I want to get on it heavy and have some fun in the twisties. By the way, going to be replacing the Eagle RS-A tires in about 6 months and going to 18", any suggestions for the sedan?

Old 04-14-2004, 12:07 PM

did you mean 91? or do you really run 87 octane in your G35?

Old 04-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Banned

You should only run 91 octane or better in your car .Manual says only to run 87 when nothing else is avaliable .You may damage your motor in the long run

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old

Old 04-14-2004, 01:59 PM
WRAH

I ping at less then 90...... But if you can get by with 87, if shouldn't harm the engine....

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murray
'04 OB/GL Prem.Pkg./Sport.Pkg/Splash

Old 04-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

I've done quite a bit of CAI testing on my G20 and found pretty significant differences, not only from a warm air setup to cold air setup, but also between different cold air intakes.

The pipe diameter, bends, and length all play a factor. On the dyno there isn't as much of a variance in air temperature as there is under normal driving conditions, so a CAI doesn't show all of its benefits on the dyno (or the wai is overrated.. depending on how you want to look at it).

On the G20/SE-R (2.0L SR20 motor) the CAI's give a HUGE jump in midrange power, around torque peak. I have test results and more CAI related info if anyone's interested. Even though it's not G35 specific, it may help in customizing a kick *** CAI setup....? I won't post it here just yet because it's not directly G35 related..

Justin @
EverythingG35.com

Old 04-16-2004, 03:10 AM

manual says only run 87 in emergencies for the coupe, dosen't hurt the sedan at all except in performance and minimal in MPG. Anyways, thanks for the info on CAI vs. short ram. What im wondering is under which of these two categories would the stillen intake box go under?

2004 Sedan
Black/Willow
Premium w/ splash guards
Clear Corners, Z-tube