Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Motordyne - Tony

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
It has dual tips...

They are referring to a Y-Pipe rather than a true dual exhausst.

the shockwave is single tip and the VQ is dual. I have the VQ on my car.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
^thank you for clearing that up, so many pages to look at lol, Yea i just think the VQ is just to silent for me, i like the shockwave keeps the tone of the stock exhaust but just LOUD!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by INFiNiTiREaSNZ
^thank you for clearing that up, so many pages to look at lol, Yea i just think the VQ is just to silent for me, i like the shockwave keeps the tone of the stock exhaust but just LOUD!!!
you can't even hear my car idle it's so quiet. It was the same when I was FI I had the VQ muffler also.

The shockwave sounds very aggressive I would get it with HFC or keep the stock cats it's too loud with TPS for daily driving.

I don't think it would look right with a G depending on how your G is setup. The G is classy looking while the Z is sporty I think a dual would look better.

Well here is a pic of my dyno sheet a couple of things to mention.

1. The car was hot the car went right on the dyno when I arrived after 2hrs of driving stuck in LA traffic.

2. I was having my car retuned since I'm no longer FI my car was running on a turbo osiris tune.

3. My dyno was not meant to compare exhaust since it was not the same day and had virtually no cool down before tuning.

The sheet I've posted is just to compare my numbers from 2yrs ago on a 30 degree hotter day with less mods (which happens to include MD's exhaust).

I know Tony did a test for heat soak from 50-120 degrees and the car lost over 20hp.

If it was cooler and I had a cool down it would of pulled more for sure.

I'm satisfied it pulled close to what it did 2 yrs ago on a hotter day.

The pull from 2yrs ago was on a dyno day so I had a 2hr cool down before I dynoed.

Name:  mdexhaustdyno.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  59.3 KB

Old 08-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
yea thats what i want,,,,,,, I want dual but the sound of the shockwave Just not to loud for it will be my daily driver

Last edited by Invalid_User; 08-13-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Still patiently waiting on this exhaust.

If MD can make a dual tip aggressive sounding exhaust with offset canisters like the HKS with the Ti tips like the Harakiri pics over at my350z, then I just found my new exhaust.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does that dyno really show anything helpful? I'm new to the dyno scene, but I think to have a dyno sheet that means anything it would have to be on the same day unter the same conditions? What's your conclusion/opinion based on your dyno sheets?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by BrocksG
Does that dyno really show anything helpful? I'm new to the dyno scene, but I think to have a dyno sheet that means anything it would have to be on the same day unter the same conditions? What's your conclusion/opinion based on your dyno sheets?
Well I did put that in my post about it not being done on the sameday. The thing is the car pulled almost the same hp on a 30 degree hotter day with less mods and no cool-down (the car was heatsoaked).

I wonder if MRC did their dyno yet they are supposed to be comparing the shockwave to the JIC single on a 350z same day dyno. That info would be on my350z.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
No, they havn't done it yet. I don't know whats going on over there. They have the parts all ready to go but I (nor Plumzz the dynoee) havn't been able to get hold of them.

I'll keep on it.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well...with spacer size changes, intake changes and exhaust changes, 2 years apart under different circumstances...the dyno is pretty much useless...the previous mods probably made more power as well, with the intake and larger plenum and reflash. So it was detuned with mods, then tuned via Osiris, then dynon'd...looks like there may be no change at all. Torque loss would be seen with the mod changes, no matter what. The heat issue, didn't help, but honestly - without a CAI/Stillen and the factory intake with a drop in, it may not have mattered - no heat soak issue to begin with.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi, are these new products ready for sale yet?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
The XYZ pipe and associated attachments are, but the rest of the exhaust isn't finished just yet.

I'm working on it now.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Helpful in regards to how the MD exhaust performs in comparison to the stock exhaust and/or other aftermarket exhausts? Nope... there are too many variables, including further modification past the exhaust itself.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 PM
I did post that it was not a comparison. My dyno was just to retune since I'm no longer F/I.

I just posted my dyno #'s from a few yrs ago and the one I did recently. I'm just satisfied that it pulled almost the same with less mods on a hotter day.

After reading Tony's post (my350z) on IAT I can see why I lost HP & TQ the engine was heatsoaked from sitting in traffic for 2hrs going straight to the dyno.

The car was put on the dyno when I showed up no cool down the only cooldown it had was while setting up the dynapacs.

I guess I shouldn't of posted the dyno since it didn't show any gains.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I am READY for this exhaust to come out!! ETA???

Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Bump

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne - Tony