Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Y-Pipe (Fujitsubo vs. JIC)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Y-Pipe (Fujitsubo vs. JIC)

Based on some of the threads that I have read regarding aftermarket y-pipes, it seems that the two most popular brands are the Fujitsubo and JIC. A few questions for anyone who is familiar with these y-pipes.

1) From a performance perspective, is one better than the other or are they basically the same?

2) Other than performance (e.g. price, ease of installation etc. etc. etc.) why would you choose one over another.

3) For those that have purchased either, how much have you paid and where have you purhcased from.

Thanks.

JWT Pop-Charger/Z Tube*Clear Corners*20% Tint
6-Wire HyperGrounding Kit
Iforged Evo's on order (4 Weeks Down - ? To Go)

Old 04-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Re: Y-Pipe (Fujitsubo vs. JIC)

1. Performance is probably very close. JIC claims, and I quote... "That would be around 5-8 hp with 2-4ft.lb. torque gain".
2. I've read and seen links that show both exhausts. The JIC looks cleaner and "appears" to have fewer, or more smooth, bends.
3. I paid $420 (incl. shipping) from Avalon Racing (ask for Paul) about 5 weeks ago. I still am waiting, as the exhaust is on a container ship on its way over from Japan. JIC was supposedly raising their price at the end of April, so the price may have increased some.

Self proclaimed member of the 300bhp club!

Old 04-19-2004, 07:49 PM

Neffster,

Do you know if the JIC Y-pipe will bolt on directly to the stock exhaust? I think I read somewhere that the JIC has an 80mm collector and may not be able to bolt on to the 65mm stock pipe without alteration of the Y-pipe.

JWT Pop-Charger/Z Tube*Clear Corners*20% Tint
6-Wire HyperGrounding Kit
Iforged Evo's on order (4 Weeks Down - ? To Go)

Old 04-20-2004, 06:25 AM

That's correct. The fujitsubo exhaust will fit up perfectly to the JIC Y-Pipe as it's 80mm as well. There has been discussion about adding a "reduction tube" to go from 80-65mm, but the general concensus is that it is better to get the restrictors and kinks out of the exhaust at all costs. I "might" be going to the fujitsubo exhaust eventually, so this "may not" be a problem at all for me... I still expect to see a slight improvement in hp (due to the fact that I have other breathing mods that this should work well with).

The discussion heads down the path of "turbulance" and "air flow" which even the greatest physicists in the world cannot calculate. We know turbulance is an issue (vs. laminar flow), but just how turbulant is the air at the bottle neck? that 15mm equates to about a 1/4" lip around the exhaust which is about 2.5" in diameter.

I noticed your mods..."JWT Pop-Charger/Z Tube"... if that's all you're packing I'd seriously recommend holding off on the Y-Pipe and getting the Crawford Plenum first. Then maybe some high flow cats and a crank pully, AND THEN consider your exhaust options. The plenum is the best bang for the buck as far as increased performance is concerned, plus it's totally legal.

For some reason, most people go right out and start modifying the exhaust. If this was the biggest performance gain, or the cheapest mod, I'd completely understand why. Unfortunately neither of those two scenarios are correct.

FYI, I realize that you are going to spend your money however you choose, I can only give you advise as to how I've spent mine and back that up with the reasons why.

Oh yeah, I see that you are buying my favorite wheels in the whole world, as far as looks are concerned (too bad they're not lighter or I might have already snagged a set for myself).

Self proclaimed member of the 300bhp club!