Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

home made z-tube (test)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselaznrock
ok ok come on guys, (and girls, although mostly girls from the looks of it) i'm kidding, but in all seriousness, you should leave the "power duct" in there, it says "power" duct for a reason, you get an extra 16 hp at least to the wheels. any parts labeled with power in a car are good for an extra 16 hp, and if it's labeled

(that's a joke, because I just know some noob is going to actually believe that)

anyway, i think it's great how people can all come together online to debate and give their opinions, isn't it how great everyone tries to be civil? the beauty of online forums.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually doesn't look that bad, despite being white, no ductape was involved, it was clean, and actually had some effort put into it. rice usually indicated poor taste. and doesn't anyone get any satisfaction from making something themselves anymore?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by ShanesG
WHAT?

I just don't understand, you buy a $30k+ vehicle, then want to put a $10 piece of plumbing/drain material on it just to save 20-30$ .
stop with the snobbishness

Old 06-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by mbritt80
stop with the snobbishness

Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Memphis
uhhh.....that was argued into the ground on the forum something like 3 years ago.....can you back up your claim with dyno results?

Hey, thanks for reminding me of the stupid thing's name, I completely forgot it.

well when i bought the car from my sis (bimbo kinda), it looked like the paper filter was still OEM, no kidding, it was black with red around the edges.... but through further inspection i noticed the majority of the dirt was kinda focused in the middle toward the top.... so the air was being focused into that part of the filter..... without the power duct i noticed (b4 K&N) a more even distribution of grime over the filter, and alot less of it

Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 PM
how's the intake holding up sofar?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by bitsq
how's the intake holding up sofar?
it's been painted black and is still in use. no issue's. sounds and performs great.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ichiban101
it's been painted black and is still in use. no issue's. sounds and performs great.
can you make another one just like it and send it to me for testing?
I can read exact air volume numbers at WOT so will be able to tell right away if there is more air flow or not..

Old 07-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Great job man, way to be innovative. On a side note tho...the PVC will emit the toxic gases at under hood temps (speaks from experience) I tried to cheep out on the tubing for my turbo project which I'm still working on. would be done be decided that the gas risk wouldn't be worth the time saved. Do yourself a favor and get a real Z-tube soon. The gases do hurt performance and MPG. Not much in either case, but enough. If you really want to keep it, atleast coat it on the inside with something...paint, resin, FG...something that will prevent said gases from being on the inside of the tube. Try krylon paint for plastics...works good on PVC and should stop said gases.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats some nice work there. I would call it ricer if it was made out of foil, or that slinky looking thing that dryers have to take the heat outside a home. Props to you my friend, keep it up. BTW the paint job was the way to go, white PVC looks off, but black FTW.

Why do some poeple slam on this guy? He made a PVC intake, big deal! He saved some money and had a fun time at it, not to mention probably got the same if not more gain that the $60-$75 Z-tube. Its like saying changing your own OIL is retarded, might as well go to the dealer and pay for it! Same principle, just different approach, which yields equal results....

Old 07-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
you should leave the "power duct" in there, it says "power" duct for a reason, you get an extra 16 hp at least to the wheels.
DOOD OMG IM GLAD I KEPT IT IN I AMLOST TOOK IT OUT

j/k

Does anyone have pics of the inside of the sedan tube and the Z-tube? I've never had a chance to compare them.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Seriously....why would #1 anyone pay $100 for an intake...and #2 i'm not too sure about the PVC idea either.

You can get the same results from a $30 ebay intake with the filter versus a brand name $200 intake.....again, it's just a tube and a filter.....unless your intake pipe has some sweet graphics or something, then just do it cheap.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Interesting concept. Now if only you have find a "cheap" dyno to test it out.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 PM
People like to hate....INOVATION is a major element in MODS....stop hating, you wish you can think like that.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by djekua
People like to hate....INOVATION is a major element in MODS....stop hating, you wish you can think like that.
LOL thats not innovative... go look at a honda forum and you will see a million of these. That's just bringing a cheapo idea over here. There is something being innovative and saving money when things costs WAY WAY WAY more than is reasonable for what you are getting. But when you can get a ztube for <$50, why bother?

the g is a nice car and why make it look cheap by doing pvc piping?

and im not a person who tries to push spending thousands of dollars on every mod, so don't even try pulling that one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: home made z-tube (test)