Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
China....got pics????

Originally Posted by sillief00l
Has anyone gotten around to installing the OEM HR headers on a DE engine? I am very curious about installation difficulties and gains.
Dang sillie! Now you gave me else something to think about! Anyone else try this?

I'm curious to know too. Who's selling their HR headers tho?

I don't think I've seen those for sale yet

Old 02-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no pics but from what i thought I saw and heard today...i went to a local exhaust shop and told em i wanted to get my test pipes in stalled and get the seams where it cracked welded and put my car on the lift and then the dude picked up one of my test pipes and then stuck it up my car side by side to the pipes already there and he was like hmm..idk, then he tried the other one and did the same and i looked and it was like an inch or two shorter than the stock one and im like wtf? then he said its gonna take some work cause he gotta get everything out of the way then he is gonna cut my y pipe and add a inch or so piping so the test pipes will fit... for $120...

Old 02-05-2009, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by chinabean
no pics but from what i thought I saw and heard today...i went to a local exhaust shop and told em i wanted to get my test pipes in stalled and get the seams where it cracked welded and put my car on the lift and then the dude picked up one of my test pipes and then stuck it up my car side by side to the pipes already there and he was like hmm..idk, then he tried the other one and did the same and i looked and it was like an inch or two shorter than the stock one and im like wtf? then he said its gonna take some work cause he gotta get everything out of the way then he is gonna cut my y pipe and add a inch or so piping so the test pipes will fit... for $120...
How long will it take him to do all that?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:21 AM
an hour probably but i went to an autoshop and they doing the weld for free and idk bout install yet

Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 AM
Is he charging extra for the extensions?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM
idk with that foo'
he can charge all he wants im not going to him when im getting it done for free lol

hmm I thinking of doing this setup since I pretty much got my hand on these

Ichiba resonated testpipes + HR y-pipe

then possibly later on those with a single canister?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
China, I'm curious to hear how that's going to sound. Does anyone make test pipes that don't smell or rasp????

Originally Posted by 350Z33
Hey all, will be taking my HR y pipe off my Z this weekend, am in texas. Pm me an offer. thanks

Oh and just so you guys know, I picked up my 350z HR Y pipe locally this afternoon so I'm good! I'm no longer in the drawing for 350Z33's HR Y Pipe.

So I guess his is fair game after this weekend when he takes it off

Last edited by tiguy99; 02-05-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Alright guys time to chime in with my mini review. First and foremost, after learning about some advantages of the 350z HR Y-pipe installed on the VQ35DE motor I decided to start hunting for one myself.

Long story short, I was able to pick one up locally yesterday and just came back from the muffler ship where it was installed about 30 mins ago or so.

First off, big shout out to the guys over at Value Plus Mufflers on Western Ave in Chicago. They did an awesome job with the Y pipe swap and were very helpful and quick also.

They answered all my questions and even let me hang out with them while they installed the HR Y-Pipe.

Like the Dave, my results are as follows.

1. Acceleration....much smoother and more linear vs stock with the standard DE Y-pipe.

**It appears Nissan improved exhaust flow enough to increase performance with the HR designed pipe vs the older designed DE pipe.

2. Sound...more smoother than before.

**like a cold beer that flows gently down your throat on a hot day.

3. Rasp....no 0 zip zilch (very important to me)

4. Finally...performance gains...

** @3K+ RPM the car seems to have more go power in the powerband.

** I'm 5AT and drive autostick mode 99.9% of the time. To sum it all up:

2nd gear pulls much harder

3rd gear feels about 25-30% stonger ( could be the butt dyno playing tricks on me )

4th seemed about the same or so when I drove home from the shop

didn't get to hit 5th since I drove home on the streets through stop and go traffic

Laymens terms:

** Passing other drivers on the street is more easier. I haven't hit the highway yet (heading out tonight) but I'm willing to bet that on the expressway the passing power has increased.

I'm headed downstairs to reset my ECU so I'll give more updates once my car officially figures out that it has this HR -Y Pipe and can fully adjust accordingly.

Any questions please ask!

/That is all

Old 02-06-2009, 04:11 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
welcome to the hr ypipe club!

Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by LightsOut
welcome to the hr ypipe club!
Feels good so far! After the ECU reset, I took her out for a quick run up LSD (Lake Shore Drive) and back. Then I drove to the bank.

The car's doing the learning thing. Like Dave my car did the .5 sec shift delay thing once, when I was shifting from 3-4th.

After that moment, I drove it home in stick mode for about a couple miles through stop and go traffic and it's running fine now. No more shift delays....

More updates after I head out for the evening.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM
ahhh i hope i get mines soon!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by chinabean
ahhh i hope i get mines soon!
You will bro! You will. I got mine cheap too. 350z33's taking his off tomorrow. Keep in touch with him. He told me he was taking it off and placing it for sale tomorrow.

Since I no longer have first dibbs, if you're next in line bro I guess its yours?

Hit him up. He said he's over on my350z under the name gabez33 as well

Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Any updates chinabean?

For those who are interested, I recorded a couple clips of my stock exhaust with the HR-Y Pipe during a cold start.

I recorded it with my iPhone using Cycorder. Please excuse the not so steller video quality but the sound's pretty much dead on in the first video.

(IDLING)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i313.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid313.photobucket.com/albums/ll365/tiguy99/G35_HR_YPipeColdIdle.flv">

In the second video, I reved the motor up to 3.5K RPM or so. The motor had enough time to warm up so I wasn't abusing the engine.

Since my phone was like 7-8" under the exhaust, there was some distortion in the sound when I revved.

Minus the distortion everything else sounds the same.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i313.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid313.photobucket.com/albums/ll365/tiguy99/G35_HR_YPipeColdIdleplusreving.flv">

The exhaust is a tad bit throatier but that's about it in the sound department. The next clip I'll record is when I add some HFCs.

I was surprised at how well the iPhone picked up the sound btw

Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
not bad, i think i'm getting mines wednesday for $50, and hopefully my ichiba test pipes will be done by then so i can install em both

Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Damn 50?? That's not bad. Wish I got mine for 50.00. You sure its the HR Y pipe and not the DE one?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35