Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took a quick look/feel this morning, and it looks like there's definitely something under there between the two down tubes that would potentially block a standard DE y-pipe. Although, maybe you could just hang it a little lower. If I had easy access to anything but a hand jack I would take pics asap, but I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to borrow one. Any other X owners want to chime in? My factory warranty was up in October of 2008, and it's a 5yr/60k deal right? So does that put my build date at somewhere in the fall of 2003?

I would imagine that the pipe that seems to be on some X's must not be as efficient as the HR's right? Why else would Infiniti not just put it in all sedans?

Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 AM
EDIT

I sold the ypipe but still have the midpipe and muffler for sale

Last edited by Dem1K; 03-20-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
John....get ready for the PMs cuz here they come! How close are you to being 100% parted out?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
To those with a coupe midpipe...

How hard is it to bend the necessary heat shields during install? I'm going to need to have a shop put on my y-pipe due to the rusty nuts and bolts. After that I'll have fresh ones on either side of the midpipe so I can get it on myself, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to just bend the heat shields by hand or not? I've never really looked at them. My midpipe won't be here til next weekend and I want to get the y-pipe on beforehand so I can see if there's a difference between whatever one is on there now.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone here have COREL DRAW? I need someone to open the picture files I've got...

Old 03-22-2009, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by UmassG35
I took a quick look/feel this morning, and it looks like there's definitely something under there between the two down tubes that would potentially block a standard DE y-pipe. Although, maybe you could just hang it a little lower. If I had easy access to anything but a hand jack I would take pics asap, but I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to borrow one. Any other X owners want to chime in? My factory warranty was up in October of 2008, and it's a 5yr/60k deal right? So does that put my build date at somewhere in the fall of 2003?

I would imagine that the pipe that seems to be on some X's must not be as efficient as the HR's right? Why else would Infiniti not just put it in all sedans?
Ive been a lurker for some time now, but figured I would chime in anyway... fwiw, I took a look at my 05x and it seems to have the same y-pipe as the pictured g37 pipe but without the dampers. Like DaveB mentioned, its similar but not quite exactly the same as the HR pipes. So my guess would be its a better bet than the original "T" pipe but not as good as the HR?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by UmassG35
How hard is it to bend the necessary heat shields during install? I'm going to need to have a shop put on my y-pipe due to the rusty nuts and bolts. After that I'll have fresh ones on either side of the midpipe so I can get it on myself, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to just bend the heat shields by hand or not? I've never really looked at them. My midpipe won't be here til next weekend and I want to get the y-pipe on beforehand so I can see if there's a difference between whatever one is on there now.
I didnt have to bend any heat sheilds but if car is on a lift, its very easy to bend them.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
My 2004 x had the same exact "T" pipe as what's shown in DaveB's picture on the left... and have the same 07 HR Y-pipe.. not DE that is on the right in the picture.. no fitment problems at all. The exhaust system changed in 05/06 for the sedans... smaller mid pipe(half the length!)... bigger muffler... so the DE Y-pipe for these model years may very well have been modified also... no info to back that up though.. but it would make sense.. if the rest of the system was modified then.

Last edited by RicoG35x; 03-23-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:10 AM
what do the reveup airbox and hr y pipe net as far as hp gains, gas mileage gains, and noise level?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 AM
These mods are not so much about awesome HP gains, but more so having to do with sharpening up the responsiveness of what you already have... across the entire power curve, as well as bringing out the "throaty" sound of the VQ engine as well. At least on the sedan, in combination with the 06 sedan mid-pipe, the exhaust note is really sweet, without any drone.. nice and deep, not quite as deep as a coupe or Z exhaust note.. but pretty dang close as we can get.. and still maintain OEM hardware!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I just bought an HR Y-pipe from a guy on my350z for my 2005 6MT Coupe, it should be here on Friday. I'll be getting some HFCs in the next few months as well. I'm hoping I may see some modest gain with this and my other breather mods (Z tube, k&n drop in, MD 5/16 iso, MREV2). Does anybody know of a less restrictive stock mid-pipe I could put on as well? I guess this exhaust is all temporary anyway, will probably go with the FI exhaust in 6 or 8 months.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by RicoG35x
These mods are not so much about awesome HP gains, but more so having to do with sharpening up the responsiveness of what you already have... across the entire power curve, as well as bringing out the "throaty" sound of the VQ engine as well. At least on the sedan, in combination with the 06 sedan mid-pipe, the exhaust note is really sweet, without any drone.. nice and deep, not quite as deep as a coupe or Z exhaust note.. but pretty dang close as we can get.. and still maintain OEM hardware!

so how much louder does it make things with the windows up?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RicoG35x
Have you noticed that the setup gets a bit louder and deeper, the warmer it gets outside? It's been getting into the 60s and 70s here in Kansas City and the exhaust sounds so healthy, especially from idle to 3500rpms. It's not in your face at all, but it's that perfect volume like you get from the AMG products (not saying my G sounds like a AMG motor ). The sound is so fluid and perfect. You can clearly hear it in the interior, but it's a soothing sound like a clean V8. It's not raspy or mechanical sounding at all. I fear adding HFCs will take away from the sound.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
YES!... the past several days it's been Springtime in Columbus, so the engine seems to really have opened up and resonates that fat VQ sound.. but yet last Wednesday I took a day trip to Akron, clocked about 300+ miles for the day.. and it was a very mellow ride with windows up at 70 (or so... ).. and purred like a content cat all day long.. seemed to pull about 23-24 MPGS... not bad, seeing how I was pushing 80 on the Interstate.. then drove home through a rainstorm on the way back.. but all in all.. the car was awesome on the road.. a cruiser on the highway... very responsive at the touch of the throttle... big thumbs up to you DB!!

BTW.. I've gotten some good responses back on the Fat Boy cans!! it just looks like they were meant to be OEM on the G!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i just read through this entire thread.... and will be waking up tomorrow to try and hunt down a HR y-pipe in charlotte (hoping i can con a dealer into giving me one)

the 07 350Z's have the HR motor, right?

EDIT**
also, do i have to be a member of my350z just to VIEW the classifieds?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35