Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here are the pics 350z with g37s y pipe

Img_0707.jpg img_0708.jpg img_0720.jpg img_0717.jpg

Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by naughty240
To this day I still have not heard the HKS in person. Maybe at a meet this summer ill get to hear one. Im thinking of grabbing the new motordyne setup in the summer.

All I can say is...get the HKS, at least if you're not going to get a full exhaust. I'm working towards the rest of your intake/exhaust mods. I need to grab a z-tube and maybe an airbox to let the engine breathe/speak a little more. I've never heard your set up, but it seems like an HKS rear would finish the package.

Of course, the new Motordyne sedan pieces look incredible. If I had the money I would pick one up. The fact that they actually net hp gains is awesome

Old 04-11-2009, 01:38 AM
This is kind of off-topic, but I installed my HR Y-pipe with the stock cats and it was fine. I recently replaced the stock cats with Megan Racing V2 test pipes, and now the exhaust sits so damn close to the ground, and I hear some kind of clunking sound.. I thought my cats were going to fall off. I need to double check tomorrow and retighten everything, but has anyone installed the Megan Racing V2 test pipes successfully with no issues? Any tips?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well I will be picking up a 08 350z HR y pipe very soon to fit it on my stock 06 sedan midpipe and hks exhaust. Just to clarify:

1. I can re-use the bolts?
2. I need new gaskets (running approx 72000kms)?

Will def post vids - high def from my Sony cam

Old 04-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
^ I would replace that stuff. We are talking about $15 in parts.

Originally Posted by UmassG35
All I can say is...get the HKS, at least if you're not going to get a full exhaust. I'm working towards the rest of your intake/exhaust mods. I need to grab a z-tube and maybe an airbox to let the engine breathe/speak a little more. I've never heard your set up, but it seems like an HKS rear would finish the package.

Of course, the new Motordyne sedan pieces look incredible. If I had the money I would pick one up. The fact that they actually net hp gains is awesome
Yea is a bad *** set up. Ill have to see how the funds shape up .

Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for when/if i finally find a HR y-pipe at a good price... what should the bolts be torqued to? does anybody know?

Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
here ya go...

SERVICE DATA AND SPECIFICATIONS (SDS)

Tightening Torque

Exhaust system connections:

Between three way catalyst and exhaust front tube: 39 ft-lb

Between exhaust front tube and center muffler: 30 ft-lb

Between center muffler and main muffler: 30 ft-lb

Exhaust mounting bracket: 21 ft-lb

Center muffler mounting bracket: 10 ft-lb

Main muffler mounting bracket: 10 ft-lb

Finisher: 51 in-lb

straight out of the G35 Sedan Service Manual

Old 04-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rob40wilson03
for when/if i finally find a HR y-pipe at a good price... what should the bolts be torqued to? does anybody know?
Rico posted the correct torquing sequence, just keep in mind a few years of rust and heat will torque those nuts on with far more than 30-39 ft/lbs. I've removed my y-pipe and midpipes a few times over the years and I still had issues removing the cat to y-pipe nuts. I actually had to use my air tools to get them loose because they were rusted on so tightly that I feared I'd strip them. 1 second of hammering with the impact gun and they were off.

If you don't have air tools, I strongly recommend soaking the nuts in penetrating oil the night before and then 20 minutes before you attempt to remove them.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Lucky to get them off with air tools. I had to break out the torch.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 PM
My buddy and I tried FOREVER to get my bolts off. Ended up taking it to a shop to get them cut off and the guy ended up just installing everything cheap after hours.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 AM
I put a HR y pipe on my 03 350z tonight and didn't notice any difference in power or sound. I already have a short ram Fujita intake, Powerlab 3/8" spacer and Greddy Ti-C single exit exhaust. I did notice the collector end looked slightly larger than my stock one, but the 2 ends that meet the stock cats were almost an inch smaller in diameter. I was hesitant to even install it when I saw that but I did anyways since I already had everything apart. It might just be in my head but I swear the low end feels less responsive. I don't know if that is due to the smaller inlet on the 2 ends where it meets my stock cats or what. I'll give it some time in case the ECU needs a few days to learn but if anything, I'll be putting my stock Y pipe back on and I will take pics to show the difference in the 2 ends where the piping on the HR is way smaller.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:08 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Here is a vid of my car for those who want another vid....

Old 04-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Anyone have this HR Y-pipe with the Megan Racing V2 test pipes?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Big C
I put a HR y pipe on my 03 350z tonight and didn't notice any difference in power or sound. I already have a short ram Fujita intake, Powerlab 3/8" spacer and Greddy Ti-C single exit exhaust. I did notice the collector end looked slightly larger than my stock one, but the 2 ends that meet the stock cats were almost an inch smaller in diameter. I was hesitant to even install it when I saw that but I did anyways since I already had everything apart. It might just be in my head but I swear the low end feels less responsive. I don't know if that is due to the smaller inlet on the 2 ends where it meets my stock cats or what. I'll give it some time in case the ECU needs a few days to learn but if anything, I'll be putting my stock Y pipe back on and I will take pics to show the difference in the 2 ends where the piping on the HR is way smaller.
Odd. My HR y-pipe inlets and outlet were the same exact diameter as the DE Y-pipe that came off. You sure you got an HR y-pipe like the one pictured in the first post or was it one that came off a G37?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Odd. My HR y-pipe inlets and outlet were the same exact diameter as the DE Y-pipe that came off. You sure you got an HR y-pipe like the one pictured in the first post or was it one that came off a G37?
It appears to be identical in appearance. The only difference is the flex pipes on mine are shorter in length. I don't know what other car it could have came off of, the person that sold it on craigslist had the entire exhaust from a 08 350z.

I dunno man. But I'm taking this one off this week and putting my stock one back on. I will take pics this time when I swap them so you can see what I mean.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35