Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

What's in Your Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's in Your Air Filter?

Last week, I paid a visit to R2C (a new performance filter company in IL) to check out the new intake systems they are developing for the 350Z and G35. While I was there, I was an informative lecture on why their new sythetic fiber"dry" filters are superior to the current "K&N Style" cotton gauze filters.

Below... a cut-away of a K&N style filter...

and the media removed and unoiled...

Well, first off, as the name implies, the K&N Style are nothing more then 4 plys of cotton gauze (the same kind one would use on a bandage) with a wire mesh around it. Of course, that material alone would not stop all the outside contaminates getting into the intake tube/plenum, MAF and ultimately, your motor. Hence, this is why the filters are oiled. Which is okay, not very efficent though. What's worse is that if a reoiled filter is not left to dry properly (allow the excess oil to drip off), there is a risk of the oil getting sucked in, doing all sorts of bad things to MAF and motors.

So, why is the R2C filters better? Before I go into that, a little background...

R2C is also Greenlees filters, which makes filter systems for military applications (everything from the Humvee to Bradley fighting vehicles), so they know their stuff when it comes to making the filter efficent as possible.

With their sythetic replacement filters for the 350Z/G35 Stillen and JWT PopCharger systems, they allow not only better filtration, BUT increase air flow efficency! How? Sythetic materials. It starts out soft on the surface, but gets more dense on the bottom of the filter material, trapping all the outside contaminates while allowing as much air flow as possible. Furthermore, this material allows the filter to continue giving efficent air flow much longer then a cotton guaze filter.

Oh, and I should mention that cleaning the material takes nothing more then a some compressed air. If the filter is really dirty, a few dunks in some warm water with simple dish soap or Oxy Clean will clean it right up. Just allow the material to dry for an hour and your good to go! (As opposed to 3 hours with the K&N)

As I mentioned above, R2C currently makes a replacement cone filter for the G35/350Z Stillen and JWT intake systems. I inquired also on replacement filters for the Injen and AEM/Nismo intake systems. Keep in mind, however, that they are coming out with a new system for our cars which ahs a special intake tube that has two great properties: A special design that increases intake air volume by 27% and a design to eliminate the worries us G (and some Z owners) have of aftermarket intakes rubbing against our vulnerable AC lines.

Stay tuned folks for more exciting details...

Old 09-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
This has already been discussed on here. Look here for input form a company rep: https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...ke-choice.html

The intake is already out and selling for a little under $400. Look here for intake:http://www.importpartspro.com/r2cpemacoair1.html

Last edited by 5150DS; 09-24-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:24 PM

Last edited by chinabean; 09-24-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by 5150DS
This has already been discussed on here. Look here for input form a company rep: https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...ke-choice.html

The intake is already out and selling for a little under $400. Look here for intake:http://www.importpartspro.com/r2cpemacoair1.html
I was unaware that the intake is already been discussed. This was more of a FYI about the filter material.

As far as the G35 intake, they are putting the finishing touches on the design (used my car last week for their measurements).

That is what I meant by stay tuned for more details...

Old 09-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to keep info together. It gets hard to find info on here due to the large number of threads about the same topic. When it is finished, post up pics. The rep said he was going to post some up; maybe they are of the one on your car.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:16 AM
No offense taken.

I'll just let him post the pics up.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I still can't justify near $400 for an air intake system, other parts yes, but not for an air intake. Yes I know and understand its more than just another intake design, they spent lots of time on testing through R&D and such.

For me I'll stick with high quality paper filters on a regular change-out rotation, however. I might make a tube out of some heat resistant material just for myself since I have the ability at work.

Good luck with the product, it does look and seem like a good design, just too much so for my pockets.