Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:45 PM
Resonated/Non-Resonated Test Pipes are no different performance wise, resonated will prevent rasp. Test pipes generally perform better than HFCs, but only by maybe 2-3hp.

Y-Pipes do not do as much for you performance wise (compared to TPs/HFCs), performance gains/sound are relevant to brand names. Y-Pipes are most effective with an aftermarket catback exhaust. You should definitely checkout Motordyne's XYZ pipe if your main concern is performance.

Part 6 is a midpipe, a catback system will replace the midpipe + anything behind it. An axleback system will replace anything behind the midpipe.

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:47 PM
Replacing the stock y-pipe with an aftermarket version would only increase performance if you were to buy one that has 2.5 inch inlets (which connect to the cats) and a 3 inch outlet, because of the increased air flow. But y-pipes are so pricey you might as well buy a catback and call it a day.

I forgot where but i have heard the x-pipe recieving better gains and reduces rasp more adequately than a y-pipe. And as far as HFC's and test pipes are concerned, you will see better gains NA with HFC's WITHOUT a tune. But get some test pipes and get it tuned and you will probly make 8whp more than you would with HFC's.

Hope that helps

Last edited by SteveBlake; 10-22-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2008 | 06:50 PM
Good info guys, keep it coming.

Old 10-22-2008 | 07:10 PM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by SteveBlake
Replacing the stock y-pipe with an aftermarket version would only increase performance if you were to buy one that has 2.5 inch inlets (which connect to the cats) and a 3 inch outlet, because of the increased air flow. But y-pipes are so pricey you might as well buy a catback and call it a day.

I forgot where but i have heard the x-pipe recieving better gains and reduces rasp more adequately than a y-pipe. And as far as HFC's and test pipes are concerned, you will see better gains NA with HFC's WITHOUT a tune. But get some test pipes and get it tuned and you will probly make 8whp more than you would with HFC's.

Hope that helps
Little off topic question.

Can you tune OEM ECU or it can only be done with aftermarket ECU.

Old 10-22-2008 | 07:30 PM
Technosqaure and Uprev can flash your stock ECU as well as a shop with the proper program. But what i meant by better gains with HFC's without a tune, is that with test pipes you will lose more low end power than you would with HFC's because HFC's still have a "filter" so to speak, so there's more back pressure.

Last edited by SteveBlake; 10-22-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2008 | 07:31 PM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
wouldn't stock ECU go back to it's original settings?

Old 10-22-2008 | 07:35 PM
Nope, they have a certain way of doing it so it stays tuned. I dont have much experience with it so im not sure exactly how it works because i have a UTEC myself and i just get my car tuned with that.

Old 10-22-2008 | 08:18 PM
Osiris give you 5 maps you can set. You control the map you want through the cruise control settings, it's ridiculously easy.

One of my maps was "stock".

I have these maps set:

1. high octane performance map
2. average octane performance map
3. economy map
4. valet map
5. stock map

With Osiris you chose the map you want by click the cruise control button down the number of times for the map you want, 1-5, then click the "set" button and it flashes the number of times for the map you chose to let you know your in that map. It also stays on whatever map you last set it too, so you don't have to reset it all the time. I just leave mine one map 1, high octane performance.

Old 10-22-2008 | 08:30 PM
^interesting. Do the maps recognize or have generic settings for your MD spacer and FI exhaust?

Old 10-22-2008 | 09:02 PM
^^ No, the maps are custom made to whatever existing mods you have. I actually took my car to Austin and had UpRev program them. They take all mods into consideration and tune each map. Hook the computer up to the car, look at all this crazy, way over my head numbers, graphs, etc. through their software, then select the optimal settings, lock it in and your set.

Old 10-23-2008 | 12:20 PM
Joker, here's a link Calvin posted on a Y pipe thread. It's from the Z-tech site and good info regarding aftermarket Y pipes.

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Y_Pipes

Old 10-23-2008 | 12:50 PM
my input--> for the y-pipe u can always replace it since it doesnt really flow that well... the jic i have is non resonated and 3 inches in diameter...it goes to my mid-pipe which is also non resonated and 3 inches in diameter.... so it gives me a badass sound and being JDM....for the cats --> test pipes are illegal and you can really smell it whe u drive...its a rich smell...with hi-flow cats it doesnt smell as rich but gives u a nice good sound....if u hear sound clips of my car its reallly loud...and im on stock cats....if i went with hi-flow or test pipes i would say my car would be ridiculously loud

Old 10-23-2008 | 01:10 PM
Did you guys see Tony @ Motordyne's research on the y-pipe? He noted that merged distance had effects on both torque and sound quality. So yes, y-pipe design is important and there are gains to be had.....or losses if you buy a poorly designed system.

Old 10-23-2008 | 04:10 PM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
^could you link us to the research.

Old 10-23-2008 | 04:19 PM
www.motordyneengineering.com

Give Tony a call, pm, or email. He's extremely customer friendly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust thread