Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008 | 05:53 PM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
Exhaust thread

I wanted to clarify few things about exhaust system.

This is OEM G35 coupe exhaust system

1) Catalytic cnvrtr Right
2) Catalytic cnvrtr Left
3) Gasket Gasket Back
4) Front pipe
5) Front pipe Gasket
6) Center muffler
7) Center muffler Gasket
8) Rear muffler
9) Rear muffler Gasket
10) Front mount
11) Front bracket
12) Rear bracket Right
13) Rear bracket Left
14) Hanger Converter and pipe
15) Muffler Front
16) Muffler Rear
17) Front Front Right
18) Insulator Rear

I need a little help understanding couple of things.

Number 1 and 2 are Catalytic converters. They could be replaced by Test Pipe (which is a straight pipe without catalytic) and High Flow cats (which are high flow/performance catalytic)
As far as I know there are resonated and none resonated test pipes.

Could anyone advice on the performance between three of these products (resonated/none resonated test pipes and high flow cats)

Moving on to number 4. This could be replaced with Y pipe (correct me if I'm wrong)

What is the reason for replacing this part? And what are good combination for good performance gains (test pipe-Y pipe, high flow cats-Y pipe, Y pipe only, Test pipe only, High flow cats only)?

Could part number 6 be replaced separately (is it sold separately. I'm understanding that it's a Mid Pipe) Or it could be purchased with exhaust package only.

Basically just share you knowledge about exhaust system and its various parts and performance gains that could be achieved with them.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2008 | 05:58 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
All of this has been explained more than a few times already

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:00 PM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
Explain it again or GTFO!.

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:03 PM
It's obvious why the test pipes and hfcs are beneficial but I'm curious too why people switch to just a different y-pipe.

My FI exhaust replaced the y-pipe with an x-pipe. Resonated, for sound only, I assume.

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:10 PM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
Yeah my main question is towards Y pipe as well.

I just posted about everything else in case someone else wants to know and afraid to ask cuz of all kinds of a$$holes

Another question.

If you have none resonated test pipes. Will X pipe fix the rasp issue?

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
I wanted to clarify few things about exhaust system.

This is OEM G35 coupe exhaust system

1) Catalytic cnvrtr Right
2) Catalytic cnvrtr Left
3) Gasket Gasket Back
4) Front pipe
5) Front pipe Gasket
6) Center muffler
7) Center muffler Gasket
8) Rear muffler
9) Rear muffler Gasket
10) Front mount
11) Front bracket
12) Rear bracket Right
13) Rear bracket Left
14) Hanger Converter and pipe
15) Muffler Front
16) Muffler Rear
17) Front Front Right
18) Insulator Rear

I need a little help understanding couple of things.

Number 1 and 2 are Catalytic converters. They could be replaced by Test Pipe (which is a straight pipe without catalytic) and High Flow cats (which are high flow/performance catalytic)
As far as I know there are resonated and none resonated test pipes.

Could anyone advice on the performance between three of these products (resonated/none resonated test pipes and high flow cats)

High flow cats will pass emissions but allow a more free flow and generally the more expensive option among the three listed. TP's totally eliminate the cats and are illegal to install. Non resonated TP's will create a significant drone. Resonated TP's will reduce some of the drone but will still be louder than Cats. Both TP's may/will reduce low end performance on NA application but will gain through mid and high end. You will get more drone on the AT during normal city driving when the RPM's are in the lower band. All three will add performance at the cost of a comfort level within the cabin. FI cars need one of the three for unrestricted or free flow exhaust.

Moving on to number 4. This could be replaced with Y pipe (correct me if I'm wrong)

#4 is the Y pipe. In aftermarket exhausts cat back exhausts, the Y pipe is replaced by an H pipe or single resonators on a dual exhaust.

What is the reason for replacing this part? And what are good combination for good performance gains (test pipe-Y pipe, high flow cats-Y pipe, Y pipe only, Test pipe only, High flow cats only)?

I'm not familiar with performance Y pipes.

Could part number 6 be replaced separately (is it sold separately. I'm understanding that it's a Mid Pipe) Or it could be purchased with exhaust package only.

The OEM mid pipe is available seperately. It's replaced with aftermarket dual exhaust systems.
Basically just share you knowledge about exhaust system and its various parts and performance gains that could be achieved with them.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure others will chime in. Not too familiar with single exhaust systems so was only giving my .02 cents on aftermarket duals. Are you considering a new exhaust?

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:15 PM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Boston
I'm sure others will chime in. Not too familiar with single exhaust systems so was only giving my .02 cents on aftermarket duals. Are you considering a new exhaust?
I'm thinking about test pipes/high flow cats

So I'm trying to see the difference between replacing entire exhaust system or just that part.

How much of a diff you think it'll be between the two?

Also. Performance wise....TP and High flow cats are pretty much the same thing. The only diff is one cost more and other one is Illegal due to no cat?
Will both of them perform the same (loss on the low end and gain on the top end)?

Last edited by JOKER; 10-22-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2008 | 06:18 PM
i was always wondering the same thing but i never asked beacuse im to lasy to type a complete sentance and a$$holes here get very upset when you dont post in complete grammar

any ways from what i know

the Y pipe was swapped out on i believe a 350z from a DE to a HR y pipe and made a good diffrance so i belive aftermarkets ones should make a diffrance

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:20 PM
I don't think you'll see much gain with TP's and the OEM exhaust. If you're going to do one, do the cat back exhaust and get HF cats later. I had resonated TP's with my FI exhaust and the drone was a bit much for me on the low end. I might try HF cats eventually.

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:23 PM
TP and HFCs are pretty close, performance wise. From what I understand you see a bigger performance increase with TPs under forced induction applications.

With stock exhaust I don't think either would be that beneficial other than creating different sound.

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:24 PM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Boston
I don't think you'll see much gain with TP's and the OEM exhaust. If you're going to do one, do the cat back exhaust and get HF cats later. I had resonated TP's with my FI exhaust and the drone was a bit much for me on the low end. I might try HF cats eventually.
What do you refer to when you say that?

Correct me if I'm wrong but is that the entire exhaust system without cats and headers?

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:26 PM
My setup sounds perfect with the 300cell HFCs. I'll get TPs when I put the Vortech on.

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:28 PM
^ A full aftermarket exhaust from the cats back. Some aftermarket exhausts only replace the muffler and utilize the Y and mid pipe.

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
My setup sounds perfect with the 300cell HFCs. I'll get TPs when I put the Vortech on.
Send your HFC's this way when you do.

Old 10-22-2008 | 06:31 PM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
Anyone got anymore input on the Y pipe and X pipe (or H pipe) performance please share.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust thread