Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2008 | 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by twin001
Did you guys see Tony @ Motordyne's research on the y-pipe? He noted that merged distance had effects on both torque and sound quality. So yes, y-pipe design is important and there are gains to be had.....or losses if you buy a poorly designed system.
Too bad every aftermarket y-pipe basically has the same design, except for the MD XYZ pipe..

Old 10-23-2008 | 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
Anyone got anymore input on the Y pipe and X pipe (or H pipe) performance please share.
You want something that is free flowing...The X pipe/Power Chamber has great flow. They allow the exhaust gases to combine in the X/power chamber and choose their own way out. Where as with the Y pipe the gases from both headers are being forced into 1 pipe slowing the flow of the exhaust.

Old 10-23-2008 | 09:27 PM
Overglorified Altima
Difference in gains between resonated and non-resonated is negligible.

Test pipes offer more gains than HFC's, but the difference isn't worth the smell, rasp, and higher potential to get caught - JMO.

#4 is a y pipe, but a restrictive one at that. JIC makes a nice one. You'll also want to consider diameters.

#6 is merely a resonator and does not affect performance. But yes, you can replace it if you want...

Old 10-23-2008 | 09:32 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by SteveBlake
Too bad every aftermarket y-pipe basically has the same design, except for the MD XYZ pipe..
Not true.

AAM, JIC, Japtrix, Top Secret, Ultimate - design looks nice on those.

Joker, read up a little on these.

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Y_Pipes

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/High_Flow_Cats

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Test_Pipes

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Headers

Old 10-23-2008 | 10:15 PM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Calvin
Difference in gains between resonated and non-resonated is negligible.

Test pipes offer more gains than HFC's, but the difference isn't worth the smell, rasp, and higher potential to get caught - JMO.

#4 is a y pipe, but a restrictive one at that. JIC makes a nice one. You'll also want to consider diameters.

#6 is merely a resonator and does not affect performance. But yes, you can replace it if you want...
how do you get caught.

Do cops actually lift your cars up and check for Cats?

Old 10-23-2008 | 10:32 PM
how do you get caught.

+1.. I agree w/ joker...
The chances of a cop citing you for not having cats is VERY slim! *knocks on wood* so far, I've been almost 8 mo's w/o cats and no stops for it =P
You'll be fine.. cops are not all that bad (keep in mind, I live in Calif. too! and it's pretty tough out here) ..
Just don't do anything reckless or would be seeming as suspicious..
don't give them a reason to pull you over and you'll be fine (i.e don't go revving your engine at a stop light,or burning out when you know cops hang around that area (same goes with busting your music loud) and Definitely do NOT over tint your car! this is probably the easiest thing to get pulled over for.. tint that is too dark.. etc..)

My buddy had a wrx with the darkest tint you can imagine.. the guy got pulled over 8 times in less then a matter of 4 days after getting the driver and passenger side tinted.. and b'c of the tint, he got screwed (they made him pop the hood.. it all started with a damn tinted window ticket) the guy did not break 1 traffic violation.

.. in conclusion.. being catless is the least of your worries! (just don't run open headers! )

Old 10-23-2008 | 11:22 PM
Wings Nation
Premier Member
how do you get caught.

The noise and smell are very noticeable, especially if the cop is following you. You'd also get caught if/when your car gets its periodic inspection (assuming they do that in your area). IMO it really isn't worth the risk - just get HFCs that'll pass emissions in your jurisdiction.

Old 10-23-2008 | 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by bigc
The noise and smell are very noticeable, especially if the cop is following you. You'd also get caught if/when your car gets its periodic inspection (assuming they do that in your area). IMO it really isn't worth the risk - just get HFCs that'll pass emissions in your jurisdiction.
It's only noticeable if you put a loud exhaust on or if you have a lead foot .. as long as your "cruising" and not WOT all the time, it isn't too loud. ... as for the smell, as long as you keep your engine clean and use a clean fuel ( i use chevron supreme w/techron) it doesn't smell really bad as if, per se, you used some really cheap gasoline...
We have inspections here in California.. just swap your cats back on.. even w/ HFC you can get cited when it comes to inspection... the federal law states that catalytic converters are not to be removed or replaced UNLESS there is a problem with your current converter (i.e. no longer operational ) and the converter your replacing it with at least meets or exceeds the level of air quality that your original converters produced.

Old 10-23-2008 | 11:42 PM
Not true.

AAM, JIC, Japtrix, Top Secret, Ultimate - design looks nice on those.

Joker, read up a little on these.

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Y_Pipes

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/High_Flow_Cats

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Test_Pipes

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Headers
Yea but comparing the design of their y-pipe and the design of motordynes XYZ pipe, the merge collector would be too far from the cats for optimal gains. Or gains like the XYZ pipe has shown..

Old 10-23-2008 | 11:45 PM
Overglorified Altima
how do you get caught.

No, the first sign is the smell. I kid you not, because two of my friends got caught for not having cats because the cops were driving behind them and could smell it stinking from a mile away (exaggeration). The cops then used a mirror to check...bam! pwned!

Originally Posted by KungFuPanda
It's only noticeable if you put a loud exhaust on or if you have a lead foot .. as long as your "cruising" and not WOT all the time, it isn't too loud. ... as for the smell, as long as you keep your engine clean and use a clean fuel ( i use chevron supreme w/techron) it doesn't smell really bad as if, per se, you used some really cheap gasoline...We have inspections here in California.. just swap your cats back on.. even w/ HFC you can get cited when it comes to inspection... the federal law states that catalytic converters are not to be removed or replaced UNLESS there is a problem with your current converter (i.e. no longer operational ) and the converter your replacing it with at least meets or exceeds the level of air quality that your original converters produced.
It smells the same...

Originally Posted by SteveBlake
Yea but comparing the design of their y-pipe and the design of motordynes XYZ pipe, the merge collector would be too far from the cats for optimal gains. Or gains like the XYZ pipe has shown..
I've never seen the XYZ pipe.

Old 10-23-2008 | 11:52 PM
Wings Nation
Premier Member
Originally Posted by KungFuPanda
It's only noticeable if you put a loud exhaust on or if you have a lead foot .. as long as your "cruising" and not WOT all the time, it isn't too loud.
Not true, and I doubt the average person who puts TPs on their car likes to drive in granny mode

... as for the smell, as long as you keep your engine clean and use a clean fuel ( i use chevron supreme w/techron) it doesn't smell really bad as if, per se, you used some really cheap gasoline...
Feel free to believe this, but unburnt gasoline smells like unburnt gasoline regardless of who sells it.

We have inspections here in California.. just swap your cats back on.. even w/ HFC you can get cited when it comes to inspection... the federal law states that catalytic converters are not to be removed or replaced UNLESS there is a problem with your current converter (i.e. no longer operational ) and the converter your replacing it with at least meets or exceeds the level of air quality that your original converters produced.
Doesn't seem worth the risk or hassle if you want to go that route...

Old 10-24-2008 | 02:07 AM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by bigc
No, the first sign is the smell. I kid you not, because two of my friends got caught for not having cats because the cops were driving behind them and could smell it stinking from a mile away (exaggeration). The cops then used a mirror to check...bam! pwned!

You got to be serious kind of dumb a$$ to get caught.

Just cuz it smell it don't mean ****. And sinse when do cops know how cats look like on G35. Did they have some kind of manufacture training?

Anyways. Back on subject.

Old 10-24-2008 | 02:15 AM
Overglorified Altima
You got to be serious kind of dumb a$$ to get caught.

Just cuz it smell it don't mean ****. And sinse when do cops know how cats look like on G35. Did they have some kind of manufacture training?

Anyways. Back on subject.
You have to be a dumb@$$ to get caught with test pipes? Explain.

And how were we not on subject? We tried to answer your question.

The smell of unburnt gas is very noticeable. No training required. It's not difficult to distinguish OEM cats from test pipes/high flow cats. No training required. However, it is not uncommon for cops in CA to be "trained" to look for certain things (some cops in certain areas take a class that teaches them what to look for).

But whatever.

Originally Posted by SpeedNStylez_JL
Yup...its pretty bad, heres the story:

I had a test pipe and the invidia G200 exhaust installed on my car. Having the test pipes is just asking to get pulled over. So friday night im at ontario mills I get pulled over and the cop just gives me a "loud exhaust" ticket. Then monday morning in city of industry on valley blvd on my way to work a cop follows me for a good 5 minutes then pulls me over and says that he can smell the fumes coming outta my car and that he knows i have no cats he then gets checks under my car and then writes me a ticket having my catalytic converters removed so I just put everything back to stock and need to get it checked by a state ref...

im pretty scared of what the fine will be when i go to court

Last edited by Calvin; 10-24-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-24-2008 | 02:36 AM
Joker is still too smart to get caught yo!

Old 10-24-2008 | 02:37 AM
|
CLUB MODERATOR
And how were we not on subject? We tried to answer your question.
I just did not wan to go too far into a cops and getting caught direction.
But that's fine with me if it's fine with you

You have to be a dumb@$$ to get caught with test pipes? Explain.

The smell of unburnt gas is very noticeable. No training required. It's not difficult to distinguish OEM cats from test pipes/high flow cats. No training required. However, it is not uncommon for cops in CA to be "trained" to look for certain things (some cops in certain areas take a class that teaches them what to look for).
it does not matter what you smell or what you see. you need evidence to prove it.
If you know your rights you'll never get a ticket for it.

Cop cannot charge you with something he has no evidence on.
Even if he does puts a mirror under your car. Is he some kind of expert on cats? Does he know how cats should look like? Does he even know what cats are?
So in reality the only thing that cop can do is order you to go get tested. But there is no way he can give you a ticket for no cats or even any other mod on your car simply because they are not trained in that field and therefor have no knowledge about it.
That is how this ticket will be treated in court but if you know your **** you can treat it same way on the street.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust thread