Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Everyone Vote: Cleanest / Best Sounding Intake w/o Low End Loss!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
oem z-tube and k&n or oem z-tube and stillen

Old 11-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
i have the stillen z-tube with jwt pop charger, my friend has the fugita short ram intake, i prefer mine over his, his sounds more like a screaming TL(of course he started off with a TL and then the G bug hit him!), mine sounds like a race car at 4 thousand RMP......although i do hear a lot of good things about stillen intake with the hi-flow filter, and yes there heat shield is far more superior to the jwt heat shield

Old 11-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I like my Z-Tube/Popcharger combo; it has been getting a lot of hate recently around here but a year or two ago it was really popular. And nothing has changed, just the ebb and flow of the community and people hearing things from other people.

You supposedly lose low end power with this setup on super hot days, but it is so minimal whatever you think you feel is all in your head, just like any gains made by intake is also pretty much in your head.

Intakes for these cars are 100% for sound, and IMO the Popcharger sounds the best. The car sounds beastly after 3k.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tragedycat
I like my Z-Tube/Popcharger combo; it has been getting a lot of hate recently around here but a year or two ago it was really popular. And nothing has changed, just the ebb and flow of the community and people hearing things from other people.

You supposedly lose low end power with this setup on super hot days, but it is so minimal whatever you think you feel is all in your head, just like any gains made by intake is also pretty much in your head.

Intakes for these cars are 100% for sound, and IMO the Popcharger sounds the best. The car sounds beastly after 3k.
yep, pop charger turns a ton of heads

Old 11-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by M.J.H.

I'm planing to do 5/16 spacer, MREV2 manifold, and intake for sound, and then start saving for Vortech S/C or a basic turbo kit.
If you plan on going turbo or S/C in the future, why would you buy an intake?

Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARC haha

Old 11-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
If you plan on going turbo or S/C in the future, why would you buy an intake?
Because the S/C won't be for about 6 months and I can't deal with the OEM intake for that long. Of course I'll resell the Stillen & Z-Tube.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM
injen has a nice growl...

Old 11-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
has anyone tried putting ztube with an amsoil air filter? i might get this in the near future.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:41 PM
About the intake "sound"...

ok, this is my ignorance -- so I'm asking: how does a new intake *change* the sound? I hear "growl" -- so it gets "raspier," "louder," what? And for "daily driving" -- when you're not hammering it -- how does it sound? You know, on those days when you want the "luxury" side of your "performance luxury sedan"... in other words, when my wife (who is used to the "sound" of an Accord) gets in, is she going to complain about how "loud" it is?

Love to hear your thoughts....

Also, one poster said intake is "all for sound" -- so you're getting no appreciable power increase? Do you notice it?

Old 11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by strollin
ok, this is my ignorance -- so I'm asking: how does a new intake *change* the sound? I hear "growl" -- so it gets "raspier," "louder," what? And for "daily driving" -- when you're not hammering it -- how does it sound? You know, on those days when you want the "luxury" side of your "performance luxury sedan"... in other words, when my wife (who is used to the "sound" of an Accord) gets in, is she going to complain about how "loud" it is?

Love to hear your thoughts....

Also, one poster said intake is "all for sound" -- so you're getting no appreciable power increase? Do you notice it?
When I put in my Z-Tube/Popcharger, it idled a bit louder but not noticeable unless you have the window down AND are looking for the difference. It's not something that most people not attuned to cars would ever notice. When I went over 2.5k and especially after 3k I noticed the air induction sound, it is pretty slight and I heard none of the high pitched whir that people claim to hear with the Popcharger.

In any case, maybe I'm just not as perceptive or used to it, but if you didn't tell your wife that you put in a new intake, I don't think she would ever notice.

And on your final point, no you get no appreciable power increase or decrease. Anything you feel is probably in your head. The stock airbox is THE BEST intake we have for our cars.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by M.J.H.
Because the S/C won't be for about 6 months and I can't deal with the OEM intake for that long. Of course I'll resell the Stillen & Z-Tube.
When you're done with it Mike, sell it to me for cheap.