Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev-Up airbox on a VQ35DE - special note

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
hmmm... it seems for such a simple part.. it's turning into a real cluster farc... it sounds as if the Riverside dudes are trying to unload some complete assemblies on you all... I ordered that exact p/n (16526-AC700), that I posted a few pages back on this thread, that they (riverside) say comes up as the COMPLETE air box, from EverythingG35.. it was a special order (non-stocked item).. had it in a week, 91 clams.. shipped.

no big deal man... just good parts logistics from a great source!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
the OEM isn’t going to be any bigger or better than the Stillen... but I'm hoping its box design and material helps with the intake temps... we'll see.

*For those that run Stillen - with OEM exhaust manifolds or after market headers that do not cause excessive heat, I believe the difference is negligible. I'm using Crawford and they are creating far more heat than I’m willing to ignore - that’s the only reason I'm interested in the difference between Stillen and OEM heat control - once I have the OEM that I would consider using, I'll do comparison of intake temps between the two.
I thought answered this in my last post, but to answer your main question, the rear Revup cover (the part with the stack) will fit the front cover of any G35 airbox. There is no need to buy the entire assembly. Period.

I think the box will definitely lower intake temps, but I'd suggest trying the box you have first. I wouldn't be surprised if temps lowered by 20 to 40 degrees, depending on if you're stopped or driving. Have you considered fabbing a heat shield for the headers? Maybe something you could mount to the inner portions of the shock towers that could deflect heat down? I'd wrap all the exposed lines in the area of the headers as well because that excessive heat will be hell on them in the long run.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I thought answered this in my last post, but to answer your main question, the rear Revup cover (the part with the stack) will fit the front cover of any G35 airbox. There is no need to buy the entire assembly. Period.

I think the box will definitely lower intake temps, but I'd suggest trying the box you have first. I wouldn't be surprised if temps lowered by 20 to 40 degrees, depending on if you're stopped or driving. Have you considered fabbing a heat shield for the headers? Maybe something you could mount to the inner portions of the shock towers that could deflect heat down? I'd wrap all the exposed lines in the area of the headers as well because that excessive heat will be hell on them in the long run.
there isn’t much room for heat shields with these headers... I'm trying to figure something out... yes, the fuel line bracket had to be removed and re-fab and lines wrapped - everything else is pretty clear - however, one of the grounding wires had excessive slack and was actually resting on the driver-side headers and burned through to the wire - fortunately it was long enough cut and re-crimp and re-mount.

I'll probably order the air box cover so I can have it painted with everything else... if I don’t use it, oh well.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd like to know as well because the Z crowd swears up and down that the revised airbox didn't appear until the 2006 RevUp. According to Infinitipartsusa.com (Everythingg35), the revised airbox is only listed for the 6MT model years 06-07. The 05, regardless of tranny, is identified as the old airbox with a parts listing for years 03-05. The old airbox is cheaper too by about $15. So, if you're going to order one, make sure to order it for a 06-07 6MT (07 coupe only) or you're going to get the wrong airbox.

This time the 350z crowd is wrong, I just check both of mine and they are both the new version. I have an '05 6MT

If anyone wants one, PM me a reasonable offer

Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by escobar929
This time the 350z crowd is wrong, I just check both of mine and they are both the new version. I have an '05 6MT

If anyone wants one, PM me a reasonable offer
is yours a 1/2 year car?... if so that might explain it - you might have got the 06 revision on a late 05 car. It happened in 04.5 (but with many more significant changes).

As to the sell - I wish you posted late last week... I ordered mine late Thurs and it went out Fri.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright guys my friend has a 06 z it has the better airbox that will just bolt up to my engine with no problem? Im getting his z tube already, so i should just buy the whole thing off him then.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Degmidgetg35
Alright guys my friend has a 06 z it has the better airbox that will just bolt up to my engine with no problem? Im getting his z tube already, so i should just buy the whole thing off him then.
Whether you buy the whole thing or not probably wont matter… he wont have any incentive to sell just the back cover… but when you get it, just use the cover – it can be swapped when you change you intake tube without removing the entire box – you wont gain anything from taking out your entire box and re-installing his entire box.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
*deep breath*

No component of the 350Z airbox will work in the G. The only part that will work is the velocity stack which will require you to drill out the rivets on your airbox and his to get the stack out. Then you'll have to re-rivet the stack back in or glue it. You'll have to be very careful because you could possibly crack portions of the box getting the stacks out.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:49 AM
^^^ I overlooked the "z" part of his post...

Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 AM
someone should make an aftermarket extension adapter... cheap little mod that might sell a bunch.

I contemplated having body shop mold in fiberglass extension to 04 velocity ring... but there are too many other things being done already and this would just add more time.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait so ur saying i cant use his back cover with the bigger velocity stack. I cant just swap them out? I thought they could fit. What if i change the entire thing would that work, i just want the bigger velocity stack whats the easiest way

Last edited by Degmidgetg35; 01-11-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the stock box with the Stillen Velocity stack + filter and z-tube.

maybe the best of both?

Old 01-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
*deep breath*

No component of the 350Z airbox will work in the G. The only part that will work is the velocity stack which will require you to drill out the rivets on your airbox and his to get the stack out. Then you'll have to re-rivet the stack back in or glue it. You'll have to be very careful because you could possibly crack portions of the box getting the stacks out.

sighhh, I could have swore I already said I bought a 06 z airbox and switched out the velocity stack.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
is yours a 1/2 year car?... if so that might explain it - you might have got the 06 revision on a late 05 car. It happened in 04.5 (but with many more significant changes).

As to the sell - I wish you posted late last week... I ordered mine late Thurs and it went out Fri.

I don't think so, I pre-ordered my car before the revups where released. I was one of the first in south Florida with a revup

Maybe for Z's only 06 and up. But for G's might be different

Too bad I didn't look earlier, since they just take up room in the garage

Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by escobar929
I don't think so, I pre-ordered my car before the revups where released. I was one of the first in south Florida with a revup

Maybe for Z's only 06 and up. But for G's might be different

Too bad I didn't look earlier, since they just take up room in the garage
Interesting... this thread has gone all over the place and every time one thing is posted something else posts that conflicts. I believe what you are saying, but I wonder why DaveB is so adamant that it can’t be true?... Maybe (for whatever reason) some 05 came with new version, but replacement is old version?

In the whole of things, I don’t think the velocity stack is going to make much difference (on my application) - it’s likely that I will continue with the Stillen anyway - but I'll put it to the test… I’ll measure intake temps (my primary concern) and dyno for power difference.

It would have been nice to buy yours instead of $85 for something that will probably sit in my garage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev-Up airbox on a VQ35DE - special note