Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

G35 High Flow Cats And Test Pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
You'll understand a lot better when you pull your cats out. I was pretty amazed how heavy and clunky they are... almost like sticking a big-*** cork in the exhaust pipe.

The way to go is a true dual cat-back exhaust AND HFC's/ test pipes... It makes a serious difference.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so Test pipes to replace the Cats, take out the resonator and muffler and just have a straight pipe going all the way back

Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Spike4841
so Test pipes to replace the Cats, take out the resonator and muffler and just have a straight pipe going all the way back
...Probably gonna sound like **** and have a lot of rasp.
Just pick up a used exhaust if you don't have the money for a new one...

Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CltCoupe07
Yeah, I understand that the cats are very restrictive/dense... I'm not all too familiar with the G35 exhaust set up yet (noob to the Gs ). But you know, closer to the exhaust valves you are in the system, the hotter the exhaust, so I would think the further it gets away and cools off (and then expands) you would want the piping to get progressively bigger, and so I was thinking that if HFCs for the Gs have bigger inner diameters than OEM, and then you go from let's say a 3" HFC to a 2.25" catback section, it would be a restriction in the system.

But, if the cat honeycombs are a much bigger impediment to flow than just sheer diameter, that would make sense.
What you're saying actually is true and makes a lot of sense, but the reality is, even though you're bottle necked on the way out, the affects of having larger piping somewhere in between will help with flow, sorta why a lot of FI guys wil go 3-4" downpipes even though their exhausts are only 2.5-3" in diameter.

also depends on material inside the oem cat, i assume it's quite restrictive, but haven't seen it yet.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I got 03 sedan with test pipes and a coupe mid with no muffler exhaust wise. Test pipes since they have no resonator they make a raspy sound. I know high flow cats don't do that. So I kinda wanna switch. But my question is wouldn't test pipes give your more hp and flow then high flow cats? If so I would rather save up for cat back exhaust if that would take the rasp away?? Ps. Just upgrading cats in general with a intake "350z z tube with pop charger" you will feel a difference!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
^^try ART pipes!!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is kinda old but oh well. Just so everyone knows, freeing up more air flow on either side will only provide a small increase in power (on G35's), not the huge gains most people expect or hope for. Breather mods make a much larger difference on FI applications than NA. On NA cars, a certain amount of backpressure from the exhaust side is necessary to retain low end power, so, that being said, these exhaust mods might make for a small amount of top end increase, but they could lose just as much on the bottom.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by that1buffguy
I know this is kinda old but oh well. Just so everyone knows, freeing up more air flow on either side will only provide a small increase in power (on G35's), not the huge gains most people expect or hope for. Breather mods make a much larger difference on FI applications than NA. On NA cars, a certain amount of backpressure from the exhaust side is necessary to retain low end power, so, that being said, these exhaust mods might make for a small amount of top end increase, but they could lose just as much on the bottom.
Not bad for your first post....^....This is why if you have a first gen G35 it's important to have the best high flow intake along with MotorDynes spacer (bigger the better) to get all the air in as quickly as possible. With HFCs like BERK'S you've cut down major restriction, just check out what the OE cats look like....would anything get thru that maze? The last part is to add a high flow dual cat back exhaust. The rewards in making the mods listed with a N/A VQ motor s/b very close to 25 RWHP with a tune. BERK'S HFCs will pass the sniffer test here in CA., my smog tech never looks under my coupe he's just interested in results!
Gary