Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

HKS: Need sound clip host

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS: Need sound clip host

I've created a sound clip of the stock vs. HKS muffler for the sedan. I need someone to host it for me.

In the interim here is my unbaised evaluation.

-This is a MILD upgrade. The sound is deeper than stock and less raspy (if you believe the stock sedan sounds raspy). Listen to the clip and you'll get what I mean.

- Sound while revving the engine in neutral vs. when actually driving under load are absolutely different. When simply revving at idle its hard to even tell the difference from the stock sound.....especially when recording a sound clip. The difference is much more noticable under load (unfortunately I don't have a way of capturing this).

- Someone mentioned that the exhaust is quite noticable until 3800 rpm and then actually quiets down while the engine sound takes over......this is absolutely spot on....to the rpm.

- If you are looking for an exhaust that is absolutely (and I mean absolutely) unobtrusive when driving lightly and while cruising, this is the one for you. It sounds real nice when you get on it, however, this is really the only time you can truly tell the difference between the HKS and the stock exhaust (and it does sound nice).

- There is no droning at all, even in when lugging at low rpms in 5th.

- If you are looking for an exhaust that it essentially loud all across the rpm band and all the time, THIS IS NOT THE ONE FOR YOU. Again, this is a noticable yet mild upgrade.

- Initially when one spends money on a mod, one expects to see a noticable change immediately. As a result, at present I feel that the MOD is not that dramatic. However, I know that over time once I get over the initial excitement, this will be a really nice addition.......I can hear the nice exhaust note when I'm in the mood to and I can suppress it completely when I'm not read to listen to it (by accelerating at a normal pace and cruising).

- I have heard that the exhaust note changes over time as the muffler "breaks in". I cannot speak to that.

Anyway, I am going to try and attach a sound file (never tied before and don't know if it'll work). If it doesn't I'll need someone to host. Its a single clip with the stock exhaust first followed by a short pause and then the HKS.

The recording was done using a small tape recorder with the car parked in my garage and the garage door open. The recorder was about 5-6 feet from the exhaust. Given the the sedan has a fan that is crank driven and speeds up as revs rise, there is significant amount of engine noise (this is probably exaggerated by the fact that the car was in the garage).

Ok here goes...

Old 07-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Re: HKS: Need sound clip host

Darn...no luck. Looks like I'll need a host. Volunteers?

Old 07-27-2004, 11:11 PM

Thanks for your eval. Although we haven't had the opportunity to hear your sound clip yet, it seems like it may be a slightly expensive mod for a little sound improvement; I noticed that www.PerformanceNissanParts.com now has the HKS Sport muffler at $395 + shipping (I thought I had seen it a week ago for $375 + shipping from them, but I could be wrong about that; not sure why they would increase their price by $20 unless more people are buying it, so they figured they could make an extra $20/unit???). Anyhow, I'm still a bit uneasy about spending more than $400 on something that I may or may not really hear and/or feel a significant difference (although I definitely do not want a ricey sound anyhow...I was looking for a sound closer to our FX35, but if I can't get it without adding an entire cat-back system, then I may just forget about it).

I may end up buying a couple of longer (7"-8") ss tips and just replace the stock ss tips for a nicer looking exhaust/muffler finish. It's funny how the $75 Z tube really may just be the 'best bang for your buck' mod as it definitely greatly improves the sound (but only with WOT above 3,500 rpm) and adds a few HP.

I do hope you're happy with the HKS muffler; it does seem as if all those who have it, do love it and are very happy. Heck, I may end up eventually getting it as well, but for now, I think I'll replace my ss muffler tips now and wait to get my ECU reflashed with the '05 software in Oct. Thanks for your initial impressions!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/27/04 08:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-27-2004, 11:25 PM

I'd say overall I'm pretty happy with the Mod. Again, I'm still in the intial excitement phase, but my gut tells me that over time the balance will be perfect.

Classic example. I had an AEM intake on my accord. When I first got it, I thought it was the next best thing since sliced bread. I kept goosing the car over the next week, just to hear it. Then after about a month or so, I actually started getting tired of the intake note.....again, because it was there all the time. Eventually I ended up getting rid of the intake and going to the stock setup.

In this case, I think the balance is good. MM mode allows me to keep the revs slightly higher than normal and enjoy the new note (which I do think sounds really nice....as long as you are on it). Pop it back to D and throttle lightly and I've got my sedate luxury sedan back. How about that...."Exhaust note on demand".

At first I has heavily leaning towards the Stillen catback. However after listening to a couple of clips and hearing feedback from KarlHungus and others (on FA) I realized it wasn't for me. An intake is a quick DIY swap. A catback exhaust is a lot less "swap friendly".

Next mod is the Z-tube.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:27 PM

I still have the sound clip is someone is willing to post.

Will post another review after about a week or so.

Old 07-29-2004, 02:40 PM

email them to me, brian@brianv.net, I'll host them for a little while.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, Stillen CAB, 04 Z Suspension

Old 07-29-2004, 03:14 PM

So, here's my solution...it doesn't improve the exhaust note and it doesn't increase the HP, but I think these new ss exhaust tips look a whole lot better than the stock ss "caps" that come with the G35 Sedan.

I bought these at a local exhaust/muffler shop and for less than $100 installed (they cut a couple inches off the muffler pipes and welded the new ss exhaust tips on), this is the look I was hoping to get...notice how I had them stagger the tips so the left one is about 1/4" in farther, following the curvature of the rear bumper (which is similar to the HKS muffler). They are 3" outlet oval, 6" long ss tips. Not that I like the BMW 3 Series all that much (excluding the M3 ;-), but I do think the 330i std. stock exhaust tips are very nice; this is kind of the look I was going for.

Again, if you're just going for a better look, then something like this could be another less expensive option; otherwise, the HKS muffler ($395 + shipping) seems to be good solution, but a full cat-back system ($600+) or better is really needed to significantly improve the exhaust note (and maybe add some HP). I think these longer ss tips should have been std. on the G35 Sedan, but for less than $100, I think they'll do. ;-)

I would, however, still like to hear your sound clip of the HKS ;-)

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/29/04 01:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

312386-new ss exhaust tips.jpg

Old 07-29-2004, 03:18 PM

Another pic of my new ss exhaust tips...

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

312388-new ss exhaust tips1.jpg

Old 07-29-2004, 04:11 PM

One last pic of my new ss exhaust tips, but I still want to hear the sound clip of the HKS muffler; I bet it sounds pretty decent...

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

312426-new ss exhaust tips2.jpg