Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen High-flow-catalytic converter, A question or two.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Stillen High-flow-catalytic converter, A question or two.

Does anyone here own a High-flow-catayltic-converter, If so... A few questions.
1. I heard they make the exhaust note considerably louder, from your opinion Is it to loud for the street.
2. Even if its not legal, is there anyway for a peace officer to immediatly know you have one installed.
3. Is it any different then any other "test pipes" or are they even the same thing.
4. If anyone has a used one, would they be interested in selling it.
5. and for the stillen H-F-C-C are you just paying for the name?
thank you.DOMO

Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Banned
motordyne is going to have a better hfc/test pipe soon

Old 08-28-2009, 03:39 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
1. I heard they make the exhaust note considerably louder, from your opinion Is it to loud for the street.
Depends on the exhaust. It made my HKS considerably louder, but not so much on my OEM exhaust. It was a nice addition to the OEM.
2. Even if its not legal, is there anyway for a peace officer to immediatly know you have one installed.
He can smell the fumes or look under your car.
3. Is it any different then any other "test pipes" or are they even the same thing.
Test pipes are just pipes (sometimes with resonators). They're not the same as high flow cats.
n/a
go with Fast Intentions 300 cell metallic HFCs.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:05 PM
thank you

Old 08-28-2009, 04:10 PM
I have the Berk HFC's on my car, and I noticed a deeper tone after I installed them. I have it paired with the Borla and sounds great. It's not too loud when cruising, but when you hit the gas that thing gets loud.

On the OEM exhaust the HFC's shouldn't be too loud. You would probably find the test pipes to loud though. Overall you can't go wrong with FI or Berks.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm looking for an increased volume on my OEM exhaust.
Appreciate the help.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:34 PM
You could start with the HFC's. If you want it to be louder then you can upgrade the y-pipe. But it sounds like HFC's are fine for what you want.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by cgerson
2. Even if its not legal, is there anyway for a peace officer to immediatly know you phave one installed.
thank you.DOMO
1.Ive been runnin stillen high flows and a stillen gen 2 cat back for bout a year now,had the cat back 1st then added the hfcs, noise levels increased by 30% .if deiven mildly your cool, but get on it,and trust,they'll hear you comin
2. Compared to the test pipes that i owned previously there are no exhaust fumes to speak of . been pulled over several times . never had a cop mention hfcs, but they did look 4 headers.
3.Test pipes are way way louder tha

Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by cgerson
thank you.DOMO
4. don't go used ,go new
5.My first set of hfcs stillen failed miserably, in 3monthh
6.installed stillen headers today,got louder,and deeper:-)
nice gains 2 .gettin re tuned on monday:-)

Old 08-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
.hfc typically wont make your exhaust louder just deeper... test pipes omit catalytic converters all together, its just a straight pipe... law enforcement (and smog techs) will normally identify after market cats if they look - however Crawford look very, VERY OEM... I would consider the current Stillen hfc but older version were actual RT (random technologies and tend to crack) - as for "just the name", most people think Stillen products are over priced, but I use their sedan exhaust, intake, engine damper and sway bars and have been pleased with their products...

Happy modding

Last edited by OCG35; 08-30-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These say they pass CA sniffer and visual:

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2170

These say they meet fed and carb requirements:

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2299

I have been trying to decide myself for weeks. Lots of choices, lots of BS. It's a tough call.

Last edited by PTownG; 08-30-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
These say they pass CA sniffer and visual:

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2170

These say they meet fed and carb requirements:

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2299

I have been trying to decide myself for weeks. Lots of choices, lots of BS. It's a tough call.
most HFC will pass sniffer... neither of the ones you listed will pass visual in CA (whoever told you that is plain wrong)...

You should look up the regs regarding catalytic converter replacement... you need to meet the requirements for replacing before worrying about replacing with compliant cats...

I'm not discouraging you form getting them - just letting you know the reality.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
most HFC will pass sniffer... neither of the ones you listed will pass visual in CA (whoever told you that is plain wrong)...

You should look up the regs regarding catalytic converter replacement... you need to meet the requirements for replacing before worrying about replacing with compliant cats...

I'm not discouraging you form getting them - just letting you know the reality.
Nobody told me they pass visual. It says they have passed visual right on that site.

Visual is the least of my concerns. I have been getting smogged in CA for a decade and if they look at the cats at all it is a brief glance with a dirty shop mirror on the end of the stick. You can't pass the sniffer without cats ever so most times they don't even look. Test stations, especially test only stations don't give at rat's *** about anything other than taking your money and sending you on your way with your cert as quickly as possible.

I don't care if they are powder coated pink as long as they pass the sniffer.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
Nobody told me they pass visual. It says they have passed visual right on that site.

Visual is the least of my concerns. I have been getting smogged in CA for a decade and if they look at the cats at all it is a brief glance with a dirty shop mirror on the end of the stick. You can't pass the sniffer without cats ever so most times they don't even look. Test stations, especially test only stations don't give at rat's *** about anything other than taking your money and sending you on your way with your cert as quickly as possible.

I don't care if they are powder coated pink as long as they pass the sniffer.
I've been getting smogged in CA for more than twice as long... and work directly in an industry that is inundated with CARB regs (that are presently more stringent than anyone ever dreamed). I'm not blowing smoke up your @ss....

Good luck with that "pass visual"

Sorry I bothered to help you.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
I've been getting smogged in CA for more than twice as long... and work directly in an industry that is inundated with CARB regs (that are presently more stringent than anyone ever dreamed). I'm not blowing smoke up your @ss....

Good luck with that "pass visual"

Sorry I bothered to help you.
I didn't ask for help. The OP did and I just offered a couple links to what could be viable options.

You and I have obviously had very different experiences getting a smog check. Would either of those pass visual inspection from a CARB referee? Nope. Would they pass at Joe Blow's oil change and smog test station? Almost certainly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen High-flow-catalytic converter, A question or two.