Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

short ram/heat soak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
short ram/heat soak

have a couple of questions.

i understand why a cold air intake actually turns into a hot air intake due to heat soak. makes plenty of sense. but what i do not understand is how people are claiming that i has gains and they are seeing better throttle response. to me this does not make since. so i would like if someone coule explain this to me. or even explain why short air is better than the long full tube

Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Distance of air suction. Long tube intakes (true CAI) are almost twice as long. Its been shown that the location of most long tubes is actually sucking in hotter air when 18" off the ground or less. 18-36" off the ground is the range that you really want to be sucking air from.

With the SRI, you will get gains until you start to heat soak. If you can shield out that heat you'll have made it worthwhile for an intake.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:30 PM
and where does most of the heat soak get to? the filter itself or the intake tube?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
depends. anything metal obviously will attract heat. on the JWT popcharger the metal velocity stack is known to heat up and cause heat soak. Metal intake tubing will also do the same thing. Additionally, unless the heat shield is sealing out all the hot engine air, you'll suck that in as well.

Stillen air box does the best job of keeping out hot engine air. I have that with a JWT popcharger. I also wrapped mine z-tube and air box with heat shield tape. JWT pop-charger has a much better design.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Stillen air box does the best job of keeping out hot engine air. I have that with a JWT popcharger. I also wrapped mine z-tube and air box with heat shield tape. JWT pop-charger has a much better design.
this contradiction is confusing.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
this contradiction is confusing.
Stillen heat shield is just the box around the filter... Pop charger is the filter itself...

It doesn't contradict... I use the same setup - Stillen Heat Shield with JWT Pop Charger filter.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Stillen heat shield is just the box around the filter... Pop charger is the filter itself...

It doesn't contradict... I use the same setup - Stillen Heat Shield with JWT Pop Charger filter.
what he said.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get an R2C intake and be done with it. i installed one recently. best intake for the g35 by far. intake tube is larger and the cone is massive. the velocity stack is NOT METAL so it stays cool. i used this with a throttle body spacer and have had great results. i love the whistle of the r2c. plus it has the size benefit in that it is BIGGER than the jwt, comes with an air box that seals against the hood, and you don't have to clean the filter.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35

his original quote did not include the word "filter". One could interpret Pop-Charger as the "heat shield" part of the system.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 PM
ok and are any of these really better than just a ztube with a knn drop in. which is what i have now.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 PM
it's probably marginal...

Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
his original quote did not include the word "filter". One could interpret Pop-Charger as the "heat shield" part of the system.
most wouldn't conclude that when he used "Stillen Heat Shield" in the same sentence...

I use a Stillen heat shield with a pop charger... (are you serious that its not clear what intake I'm running?)

Old 03-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
LOL

The JWT filter is called a POP CHARGER.

the same pop-charger that they use on their turbo setup

Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by kennymo
ok and are any of these really better than just a ztube with a knn drop in. which is what i have now.
you probably wouldn't notice a difference power-wise but you'll sound better...
which is actually worth it IMO, i love the sound of an aftermarket intake

Old 03-26-2010, 11:11 PM
^^^ believe it or not, I actually did notice a different between OEM airbox (with revup back half) and Stillen...

when the car had all the body work done I had shop paint a bunch of engine bay parts too... I had previously purchased a rev-up back half ($80 new)... I intended to run it primarily because of anticipated better heat containment... I had the Stillen heat-shield and the OEM box painted (so I had option to run either)...

It had been many weeks since I drove the car (lots of body work)... so when it finally got out of the shop (with the OEM revup airbox), it was hard to tell the diff... the car had bat disconnect for long periods (ECU reset) and had gone through quite a bit of drama (entire intake down to manifold off, cold start without maf, different little things) so I wasn't expecting a viable determination initially... I figured a week of my typical spirited driving would give me good indication of the stock box...

I had every intention of data-logging intake temps and even doing back to back dyno between the Stillen set-up and OEM...

the initial color of some of the engine bay parts weren't quite right, so I had them re-done - the shop had been testing out a method to get the actual color I wanted and when they got it right I had them start with the Stillen box and a new Z-tube while I continued to run OEM with an old Z-tube (that was painted the wrong color)...

To make a long story short - I ran the OEM for a week... and when I put the Stillen box on (intending to bring the OEM for re-paint) I absolutely noticed better throttle response and improved low end...

Since then I haven't even bothered putting the OEM box back on... I wont bother to data log temps or dyno. I am positive the Stillen set-up (now with pop charger) is better performance on my car.

There is no way is "placebo" or any other bs... I dont like the idea of spending 80 bux plus paint to have the box sit, so I absolutely intended to use it... but it sits in garage... if there was a placebo effect it would have been biased towards the OEM so I could justify the cost and not have it sit after only one week of use.

Is it a combination of the other mods I have? I believe so... So maybe everyone wont have the same experience - I don't know and don't care really... but if you have similar breather mods I don't see why you wouldn't have the same results.

So bottom line - I don't care how many people perpetuate the "it's only sound no gains" thing... that's not the case on my car.