Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Installed R2C Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed R2C Intake

This thing is beautiful. Looks great in the engine bay and when you are getting into the throttle it sounds way deeper and I would almost say more throaty exotic. I do still have the factory exhaust, but a definite difference in sound and a little in throttle response. Great product, Thanks again Kyle(Houston), great price, great product.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:42 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I freaking love mine as well. My only concern when I installed it was the front of the box would sag a little and not completely seal against the hood. I fabbed a small bracket and painted it black to support the front of the intake and attached it with the bolt for the radiator support. The box is solid as a rock now and no sag. You can see the bracket in the pic at the front left edge of the airbox.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Awesome! I loved my R2c on my '04 Maxima. I'll pick one up for my G37 sedan eventually. They are local too, so I know a bunch of them...

Old 04-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
where is it getting its airflow?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
^ same way the oem does.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by davidxu
^ same way the oem does.
not in the picture above.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 AM
the little hole at the front of the stock air box will be equal to the one in the picture. The hood seals with the back, left and right sides.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by davidxu
the little hole at the front of the stock air box will be equal to the one in the picture. The hood seals with the back, left and right sides.
the "little hole" attaches to a duct that draws air from the grille (OEM and Stillen use it)... it's the coldest air you are able to get with the way the G is designed.

This intake (at least in the pic) draws air from where>?.....

I gave up on this intake shortly after it came out... for various reasons. But your logic about where its getting its air source is a big reason not to use it.

*Edit - I just realized you dont even know where the air source is on the OEM... the opening on TOP of the air box is not its air source... look at an OEM intake - or a Stillen... or look at pics in my garage and you'll see what I'm talking about...

Old 04-27-2010, 12:18 AM
^ i see where you're getting at.

The JWT popchargers uses that too right?

idk. When i look at my stock airbox, i see a hole at the front. To the left side is a duct that connects to this plastic piece that is behind the grill. I guess this gets whatever air thats available to it...

whether or not, i've never seen this intake in person, nor will i ever get it. Just guessing here..

Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 AM

Mike,

The front of the R2C is completely open and is quite large. It draws air where the Power Duct would be on the stock airbox and also from air entering the driver's side of the bumper. The official G version has a cutout on the passenger side for the OEM snorkel to fit to channel air the stock way as well. I have the Z version box, received it by accident and decided to keep it because I knew the snorkel would eventually come off. I don't have room for it since I installed the catch can on top of the radiator support.

With this set up the R/L/Back of the box completely seals against the hood to help prevent heat soak. I have said it before and will say it again; normally I don't support or endorse aftermarket intakes but I've been really happy with this one. I haven't run it in really hot Texas temperatures yet so it remains to be seen how it performs this summer. I also know having a polished Z tube willl also induce a little heat into the intake air, but at this stage of the car modding I'll give up a little performance for more bling.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Mike,

The front of the R2C is completely open and is quite large. It draws air where the Power Duct would be on the stock airbox and also from air entering the driver's side of the bumper. The official G version has a cutout on the passenger side for the OEM snorkel to fit to channel air the stock way as well. I have the Z version box, received it by accident and decided to keep it because I knew the snorkel would eventually come off. I don't have room for it since I installed the catch can on top of the radiator support.

With this set up the R/L/Back of the box completely seals against the hood to help prevent heat soak. I have said it before and will say it again; normally I don't support or endorse aftermarket intakes but I've been really happy with this one. I haven't run it in really hot Texas temperatures yet so it remains to be seen how it performs this summer. I also know having a polished Z tube willl also induce a little heat into the intake air, but at this stage of the car modding I'll give up a little performance for more bling.
The fact that it is a Z version answers my question... the Z intake is designed much better than the G in my opinion - however, they cannot be used successfully on our car...

The opening on the driver side lower bumper is designed for air flow to the radiator - you are not getting any decent air from that area to your intake... if the g version uses the air duct over the fan shroud, then it's probably worth considering.

I am still not interested in this filter due to its size. - and i was less than thrilled with their representation responses to a few questions on this site.

*edit - the last statement wasnt in reference to anything in this thread... its from way back when this intake first came out and the R2 rep wasn't addressing specific questions satisfactorily...

Last edited by OCG35; 04-28-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:49 AM
To be fair, Blue doesn't have the whole system, which you can clearly see here:

http://r2cperformance.com/infiniti_g35.html

And you can also see that the front air duct above the grill is still there, directing fresh air right to the filter.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by efuseakay
To be fair, Blue doesn't have the whole system, which you can clearly see here:

http://r2cperformance.com/infiniti_g35.html

And you can also see that the front air duct above the grill is still there, directing fresh air right to the filter.
right... he he has the Z version:
http://r2cperformance.com/nissan350p.html

which the G cannot take advantage of because our OEM is not designed to draw air from the same source...

Old 04-28-2010, 04:26 AM

Since my MPG and performance stayed the same after I installed the intake I have to assume the filter's drawing plenty of air. I have nothing scientific to back that up just my DD impressions.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Blue Steam.

I'm sure you could adapt your setup to use the oem snorkel. A simple hole cut and an extension of the snorkel's length would work as long as you seal it.

Or hack up the oem fitting off your oem box and adapt it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed R2C Intake