Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Kinetix Racing Velocity Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginevan
I hope everyone downtalking the SSV on an NA has had experience. From stock + Injen CAI, SSV V1, Test Pipes, Tune I gained 18 hp peak and 60 hp in the midrange. I was driving an entirely new car.

The SSV is a great upgrade NA or FI. First hand experience.
Kinetix came out with the velocity because the SSV did actually lose gains. They revised the top runner for better airflow. The velocity will give positive gains, but, better off buying a plenum spacer when cost is factored in.

Last edited by herrschaft; 07-10-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
I completely agree that the ssv is extremely expensive and a spacer is a better option for someone that isn't made of money. Absolutely without a doubt, only reason I got mine is because I got such a great deal on it.

As for the numbers, next time I'm on my desktop I'll dig around my files to see if I scanned in the charts. 18 was on the peak and 60 horsepower was the greatest difference throughout the band. On average across the entire range I saw about 30 horsepower spread, averaged out across the range.

If anyone doesn't believe me that's fine and I can understand that some guy on a forum is probably just talking out of his ***, but its true. Saw and felt it myself, Lol. I guess I just had a better tuner? Who knows. My factory map was also pretty jacked.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM
^EDIT:
Now that I reread your other post. You had other mods installed with a tune so your argument is invalid. The plenum by itself did not give you those gains. MAYBE it helped slightly since it was being used with other breather mods.

I had full bolt-ons when I installed the Velocity and there was no noticeable difference for me.

Last edited by herrschaft; 07-10-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Do you think test pipes and a cool air intake would've been the reason for a 60 HP gain? Not so much.

Look, naysay all you want it doesn't change the fact that I'm a first hand owner of the ssv and saw huge gains from it. That's what it is, that's how it is.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Going from stock cats to straight pipes and a tune is where you got the majority of your gains from.

My point being, you can't give one mod credit for gains when you had other mods done at the same time. And if the SSV was such a great product as you claim than Kinetix wouldn't have discontinued it...

Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Do you think test pipes and a cool air intake would've been the reason for a 60 HP gain? Not so much.

Look, naysay all you want it doesn't change the fact that I'm a first hand owner of the ssv and saw huge gains from it. That's what it is, that's how it is.
Post up empirical proof that the SSV gave you gains or your claims are just that, claims. The last line you posted shows your immaturity and tells me you don't have any proof to back up your statements or you wouldn't have to toss out comments like this to help hide the fact that what you are spouting is complete and utter BS.

Dyno chart with just the SSV is needed, where is it bic boi? There are way too many very knowledgeable members here for you to try to BS us so if you keep it up I'll delete this thread and you can start over somewhere else, nomsayin?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
The SSV/Velocity in and of themselves aren't going to change your life, if you're looking for a single mod that will do everything you ever dreamed of it's going to take more than any individual intake/exhaust mod (aside from Turbo or SC). As part of a well thought out build where you're choosing parts that will work together well there's a case to be made for the Velocity. As mentioned on page one it really shines above 6k, if you're planning to run up to 8k you'll be very happy with it in the top end (more so FI, but there are gains at the top end of the range NA as well). This from a rev-up perspective at least, there are obviously some differences if non rev-up.

Price arguments are funny though, with this particular item especially. People have talked so much trash on this intake that there's a bunch of them out being sold cheap (got mine for $500 shipped used for 2 months, previous owner didn't want to tune).

Old 07-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Also, raising the rev limiter aside as I understand that's not for everyone - if you're buying parts and throwing them on hoping they will give you everything they can as is and not tuning, you're doing it wrong. If you're waiting until you have x, y, and z done before a tune that's fine, but installing a bunch of items that will change your engine's breathing and fuel characteristics without telling the engine how to cope with those changes is just a waste, you're not going to get the performance potential available to you without a good tune. And this is a just a general statement, not directed specifically at this intake but more at the general masses.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got a question about test pipes.. which are the best(berks,indivia,etc) for a stock exhaust setup? thanks in advance!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:59 PM
They're all relatively similar. Your biggest choice will become between resonated or non-resonated (and standard test pipe vs. ART Pipe - ART Pipe being extremely better than almost anything). Berk, Fast Intentions, Invidia, Kinetix, Z1, etc. etc. Tons of good options out there and they all do basically the same thing - replace the cat with a metal tube. A resonated pipe adds a resonated tube in the middle of the pipe. Aside from the ART Pipes there's not a huge performance difference from brand x vs brand y.

Resonated test pipes are much less raspy and generally do not drone as much on aftermarket exhausts, with an OEM exhaust I'm not sure how much of a difference in sound you'll get from resonated to non-resonated, but if you plan to do an aftermarket exhaust down the road I'd recommend at least resonated test pipes, with ART Pipes still being a much better option, although more expensive.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Post up empirical proof that the SSV gave you gains or your claims are just that, claims. The last line you posted shows your immaturity and tells me you don't have any proof to back up your statements or you wouldn't have to toss out comments like this to help hide the fact that what you are spouting is complete and utter BS.

Dyno chart with just the SSV is needed, where is it bic boi? There are way too many very knowledgeable members here for you to try to BS us so if you keep it up I'll delete this thread and you can start over somewhere else, nomsayin?
Sounds like your raging e-power boner is at an all time high. If you want to make yourself feel big and bad deleting someone's claim just because you think its bs, that's okay, just reinforces the typical forum troll member stereotype.

The reason I'm not backing up my claims is because I don't care to dig through my desktop that I rarely get on to find these dyno charts because some forum badass is going crazy over it. If someone is asking because they actually care instead of being an internet warrior then I'm happy to. But until then if you don't like my claim, well then that's your decision and that's what it is. I'm done arguing with you over what I've experienced first hand. If you or the op don't believe me that's fine. But my inbox is welcome to anyone to wants to talk to me about my personal gains.

Wouldn't discontinue it? What? Was the Toyota supra a **** box? What about the RB series motors? Acura NSX or S2000? Those were all discontinued. Hey let's talk about momentum performance, extremely high quality parts and service, they went bankrupt, must've been a shitty company huh?

And since you're talking about way too many knowledgeable people and trying to downplay my performance automotive skills, I've personally done every bit of labor on my car turning it from a twisted frame total loss to a show car, I've been a formula car mechanic/fabricator/and engineer for two years and performance mechanic for a few more. No one that I've spoken to or advised has ever been steered wrong because I don't tell people things I don't know or what I haven't experienced.

So, if you want to satisfy your eboner from your delete button go for it, but you're really not helping anyone.I'm not responding to you anymore because this argument has absolutely no value to me.

Last edited by Ginevan; 07-11-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
They should have a game show called "The last word," where competitors are challenged to remove themselves from an argument without having to have it.

Last edited by Eno; 07-11-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 PM
^^haha, that's a great idea. Steve Harvey wouldn't even have a chance.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
^^haha, that's a great idea. Steve Harvey wouldn't even have a chance.
I believe that the velocity has gains. I trapped 108 4 times in a row with it last month. One of the 108 runs was 108.74. No my times did not get faster car went 13.3 on all 4 runs, I need to have Hill's retune my car for it.

I just put it on and hit the track DA that day 5/25/2013 was +800ASL. My previous MPH PB was 107 with a ported stock intake in -1000 DA.

The main difference is that I have cams on my non revup to help it breathe better. Revups can adjust intake and exhaust cam timing for gains.

Cam timing adjustments were not available when the SSV was out unless you had a stand alone.

Most tuners don't touch cam timing, but to get the most out of breathing mods (intake manifold, longtube headers, etc) I think you have to especially on a cammed car or rev up.

Non revs can only adjust intake timing and need cams to take advantage which SG proved with their 300+hp NA non rev racecar.

Cam timing can be adjusted with a stand alone or uprev.

Last edited by Dsskyline; 07-13-2013 at 09:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OBsessed (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 01:39 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sounds like your raging e-power boner is at an all time high. If you want to make yourself feel big and bad deleting someone's claim just because you think its bs, that's okay, just reinforces the typical forum troll member stereotype.

The reason I'm not backing up my claims is because I don't care to dig through my desktop that I rarely get on to find these dyno charts because some forum badass is going crazy over it. If someone is asking because they actually care instead of being an internet warrior then I'm happy to. But until then if you don't like my claim, well then that's your decision and that's what it is. I'm done arguing with you over what I've experienced first hand. If you or the op don't believe me that's fine. But my inbox is welcome to anyone to wants to talk to me about my personal gains.

Wouldn't discontinue it? What? Was the Toyota supra a **** box? What about the RB series motors? Acura NSX or S2000? Those were all discontinued. Hey let's talk about momentum performance, extremely high quality parts and service, they went bankrupt, must've been a shitty company huh?

And since you're talking about way too many knowledgeable people and trying to downplay my performance automotive skills, I've personally done every bit of labor on my car turning it from a twisted frame total loss to a show car, I've been a formula car mechanic/fabricator/and engineer for two years and performance mechanic for a few more. No one that I've spoken to or advised has ever been steered wrong because I don't tell people things I don't know or what I haven't experienced.

So, if you want to satisfy your eboner from your delete button go for it, but you're really not helping anyone.I'm not responding to you anymore because this argument has absolutely no value to me.
lol you're funny. I've never heard of an eboner, but that's kinda cute. You're right that this back and forth is useless so I'll let it go. Enjoy your stay on the forum.