Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Looking for exhaust experts!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for exhaust experts!

I have read hundreds of post about test pipes, y-pipes, h-pipes, Stillen cat-back systems, Borla Catback systems, and the fuji. And still I am a little confused. As there are conflicting reports.

What I am looking for is a DEEP sounding exhaust, with no rasp or drone, that isn't too loud(med increase is ok, as I live in a townhome), and I do not want rotten smells. Also, of coarse I am looking for the most HP with in the above criteria.

I had a 94 STS with Borla Cat-Back and I LOVED it! Deep and throaty sound with no drones or raspyness. So, lean towards Borla, but I am open to anything.

Please help a new G-Owner:-)

2004.5 Sedan 6MT Prem Package
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Gd_up_in_MN on 11/15/04 09:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Re: Looking for exhaust experts!

You'd love the Stillen if it could be quieted down a tad. There's no rasp or anything, it's just too loud.

I just installed mine and may look into replacing the resonators with larger ones or trying some other things.

I think the HKS sounds really nice but there's no real power gains because it's just a muffler.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, K&N Drop-In, 04 Z Suspension, 18x8 / 18x9 HP EVO Rims

Old 11-21-2004, 02:44 PM

would you say that the stillen is loud on start up? I live in a townhouse and worry about the neighbors a little, I can idle out, but if is sounds like a rocket ship starting up I might be in trouble:-)

Old 11-21-2004, 03:24 PM

It's kind of loud on startup, but that's the least of my concerns.

I just got back from a 60 miles trip and I'm already sick of it. I'm going to take it to an exhaust shop tomorrow and see if I can change the resonators.

Old 11-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Devil's Advocate

I like the Fuji. It's deep but only loud at WOT.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-- Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-21-2004, 03:48 PM

Wow, it is that loud? Is it possible to dynamat under the car, above the exhaust? I had a borla system on my Caddy STS, and I LOVED it, but on this car I want performance, but the question is, is it worth being annoyed? The borla only give the sedan 6-9hp where the stillen is 22hp, that is a really big difference. Do you think your exhaust is so loud you get stared at driving through your neighborhood?

I have a chance to buy the stillen for half price, I was thinking if I didn't like it I could sell for about what I paid, do you think that is a bad idea? I am 27 not 40+ like I know some are, so I might be able to stand it???

Old 11-21-2004, 03:50 PM

Where can I find info on the fuji?

Trending Topics

Old 11-21-2004, 03:58 PM

I'm 23 and it's too loud, I'd be embarrassed to take any co-workers or anything in my car.

I'm thinking of replacing the resonators with real large ones, we'll see. Definitely great performance.

Old 11-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Devil's Advocate

In one of the exhaust shootouts that a 350z mag had set up showed that the Stillen did produce the largest gain, I think it was 14 rwhp, but it was only at the very top end of the rpm band and it actually showed losses in the lower end.

The Fuji showed smaller but much more consistent gains throughout the entire RPM band. 7 - 10 rwhp along with better torque. It's expensive because it has to be imported from Japan, but I think it's worth it.

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=654

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-- Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-21-2004, 04:13 PM

I was afraid you were going to say you were younger like myself... Too loud for customers? Wow, I am really not sure what to think, as I looked into the fuji, but $1,000+ is way more than I want to invest right now. Not that it isn't worth it, but I have a huge wish list and the extra $500-$700 is a lot right now. Brian, have yo9u called stillen and voiced your concerns? I wonder if they have any ideas or fixes, that don't kill performance

Old 11-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Devil's Advocate

Here's a shootout by Sport Z Magazine that Stillen is featuring on it's website. It has the Borla, Nismo, 5Zigen, Injen and Stillen. I haven't been able to find the article that I was thinking about, but this one does make for interesting reading.

-- Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-21-2004, 04:17 PM

You have a coupe, right? aren't the sedan and the coupe exhausts quite a bit different, as far as performance? I read that the coupe exhaust is not very restrictive, where the sedan is. Also, isn't the factory coupe exhaust louder to begin with? Maybe it is a little shock for the sedan(with stillen exhaust) to gain more exhaust noise? What do you think?

Old 11-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Devil's Advocate

Yeah, I have a coupe. And yeah, the sedan stock vs. the coupe stock sound a little different, so it's possible.

-- Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-21-2004, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the good read! Has there been any sedan exhaust shootouts? I have two main goals, lose as much weight as possible and gain as much power AND Torque as possible. Is the stillen sedan exhaust heavier than the stock exhaust?? For the coupe it weighed 25lbs MORE, that is a lot of weight for a exhaust!! I assumed the weight would be less on any system, but I guess I was wrong. I will have to look at the weight differences as well...

Old 11-21-2004, 04:47 PM

The sedan stillen weighs 13 pounds LESS then stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for exhaust experts!