Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)
View Poll Results: Brand of Exhaust System
TopSpeed Pro 1
2.27%
Fast Intentions
13.64%
Borla
4.55%
HKS
31.82%
DC Sports
0%
Flowmasters
0%
Momentum Performance
4.55%
Tanabe
2.27%
Magnaflow
0%
Other (please list below or pm me)
40.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Too Many Exhaust System Brands!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewDrew
After seeing and knowing how much was put into Tony's/Motordyne exhaust system, I will never recommend a different exhaust brand for the v35. The research, design, and craftsmanship is well worth the $1600 for exhaust alone, and another $600 for ART Pipes.

If you hear a set up in person, you will never forget the sound it makes after 3k rpm.

I agree, reason I placed my order for the MD Shockwave and will be removing my Ark Grip exhaust since I already have the Arts installed. Can't wait!!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by MaDMaXX
Put some miles on it, it changes the drone. However, you shouldn't have any drone upon acceleration unless you are making it pull at low low revs.

No drone on cruise, no rasp anywhere. Make sure you removed the evap canister guard, per the instructions.
Again, let the exhaust run in, a good thousand miles, you should have no drone when cruising, even at low rpm.

As for the tq, you can only tell that on a dyno really, but you'll feel like it's trying to pull harder with the quieter stock system, but you already noticed the increase in speed after fitting the TDX2. Get a tune, mine felt quicker just daily driving after the TDX2 and even more so after the Uprev.
Yeah I've been told to put some miles on it and the sound of the exhaust (drone) will change.

No rasp for sure which I love! Yes I made sure to remove the EVAP shield.

I have a 5AT and I usually drive it in M mode. I drive and shift at normal RPMs where it drops around to 2k. At that RPM, it sounds really deep and low hence the drone. I have to be above 2.5k for the drone to be gone.

Maybe I have my definition of drone wrong.. is it not the constant low annoying rumbling sound?

I drove it around more today and yes, it pulls a lot quicker! I find myself hitting speeds quicker than usual.

As for TQ, even my gf said it doesnt feel as jerky as if it lost the power. Kinda makes sense with smaller piping giving more back pressure equaling more tq. BUT it climbs the RPM way faster.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Doesn't feel as jerky? that doesn't sound like torque, did you happen to disconnect the battery when you did this? That's just the ECU relearning again.
Remember, the testing showed that no torque is lost after the y-pipe, it can be as wide as you like. It's kept at 3 because it doesn't make it any better before about 500 HP.

Drone isn't low loud rumbling, but you will get some down there in the RPM. Drone is low sound, think of it as 'booming' if that helps the description any.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by MaDMaXX
Doesn't feel as jerky? that doesn't sound like torque, did you happen to disconnect the battery when you did this? That's just the ECU relearning again.
Remember, the testing showed that no torque is lost after the y-pipe, it can be as wide as you like. It's kept at 3 because it doesn't make it any better before about 500 HP.

Drone isn't low loud rumbling, but you will get some down there in the RPM. Drone is low sound, think of it as 'booming' if that helps the description any.
No I didnt disconnect the battery. Should I?

Not jerky.. more like it doesnt jerk hard when I mash the gas to let it pull through the RPMs

That is basically the sound I get. its like a very low bass frequency sound constant. If I give it more load on the gas, it just gets louder and deeper but as the RPMs climb higher it slowly disappears and becomes quiet.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta save up for the Motordyne TDX2! damn i wish I had it right now

Old 07-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
You almost have enough?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like 10% of it it sucks.... need to pay for college at first.