Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

ART pipes question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
I think people are nit-picking too much. The exhaust smell without cats is not that bad, so long as your car isn't running excessively lean or excessively rich. It's no different than driving a classic car around.

Also, has the lean condition without a tune been proven? People said the same thing about installing headers on a Maxima, but my car ran pig rich instead.
Yes its proven i have data logs to show the difference and believe me its huge.

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
I'm guessing green is before and orange is after?

I'm only running test pipes on my car right now, but I don't really push the car except on occasion. I plan on getting a tune down the road once I get a few more mods done.

I wonder if installing antifoulers to trick the secondaries into reading a leaner condition would be a temporary fix?
No your having your engine flow more exhaust out and if you have any intake mods your having more air entering and exiting the motor you need to compensate by adding more fuel.

Originally Posted by options13
what the hell, by installing test pipes your creating a lean condition?? i don't believe that, and even if you are i don't see how it would affect anything to where you would need a tune..
As i said before theres a HUGE difference in the AFRs. The VQs from factory come lean to meet emissions and better gas mileage, now on top of that being you increased air flow through the motor, you MUST compensate by adding more fuel to achieve the correct air fuel ratio. My AFRs pre-tune were averaging mid 14s at WOT which is very lean, after the tune i got em right around 13.1. Now i have pretty much all the bolt ons you can get besides an Mrev2 so my motor had a major increase in air flow after the add ons. Trust me, i was in the same boat you were, wondering would a tune really make that big of a difference? Im here to tell you yes, its night and day difference.

Let me know if youd like me to screen cap my data logs i think i still have the very first one i made before i tuned it and im pretty sure i still have my final one.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm.. what ECU are you running? and who tuned your car?

so if i were to run art pipes and get a tune i would in doubt get worse mpg? shiet..lol

Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
LOL yea probably i never had good gas mileage to begin with i have a heavy foot. On a side note i got Osiris tuner from a dealer and they sent me a base map and ive worked off of it from there. The base map was not far but still a little lean in some areas.Also with Osiris and most other tuning solutions its all based off engine load, so basically at WOT you want more fuel and at idle and cruising you can afford to actually run leaner just not too lean. So if your NOT like me and you cruise most of the time you may be able to actually increase your gas mileage depending on how its tuned. I usually average about 200 miles a tank (city driving so lots of stop and go and hard accelerations) before the tune now its a little less cause my driving hasnt changed and my car is using more fuel and making more power.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 PM
ohhh ok i see! this makes me want to get a tune now!! ahhhh damnit, lol

Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
Just removing the electronic throttle restriction alone makes an uprev reflash worthwhile, seriously I'd give a satisfied or your money back guarantee on uprev I'm such a believer.

Not to mention fixing the A/F ratio, deleting codes,. Rev & speed limiters, etc

Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 PM
_
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lol... There is a bunch of thread on these ART Pipes.. Why start a new one?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:07 AM
^^ your post is a little too late..