Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

MREV2 for RevUp questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM
TJI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MREV2 for RevUp questions

Hey guys, I have a 05 G35 6spd/MT Coupe w/ Rev Up

I've been reading up on the MREV2 along with the 5/16 spacer on a bunch of threads both here and my350z. But I just wanted to kind of clarify some things before making a move.

My longterm plans (within a year) is to go with the Vortech V3 kit, but I ran across the MREV2 and with its potential gains, figured it could keep me satisfied for a few weeks or months until FI.

These questions may have been addressed in other threads, but I've read so many that I've kind of lost track of the info or am confusing myself.

So here goes:

Has anyone seen dyno numbers for an MREV2 on a RevUp vs a MREV2+5/16 spacer on a RevUp? (how much does the spacer actually add to MREV2 gain on RevUp).

Also, does the MREV2 potentially benefit gains with the Vortech kit on RevUp, either equal to or better than Vortech on a stock RevUp?

I'm just trying to map out the best route to my longterm FI goals, and the MREV seems like a solid NA usable power gain, otherwise I would have just waited till FI
Appreciate any insight!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM
TJI
Oh and one more thing, just wanted to verify. Advertised gains were without a tune correct?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Search on here or on motordyne's website, you can find all the different setup combos with dynos there.

I've heard that they supposedly should benefit FI as well, but I don't really remember seeing any dynos with before/after comparison

Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
Do you have a spacer as well? Its definitely a worthwhile mod NA, but you really need the spacer and an uprev reflash to take advantage of it. With boost I really don't know, I had one with my twin turbo setup but couldn't really tell the difference.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:12 PM
TJI
Originally Posted by seymore4
Do you have a spacer as well? Its definitely a worthwhile mod NA, but you really need the spacer and an uprev reflash to take advantage of it. With boost I really don't know, I had one with my twin turbo setup but couldn't really tell the difference.
No currently I'm stock. But was debating on purchasing only the mrev. Or was worth it to get spacer as well, cost for benefit.
Thing is would it be worthwhile to use na and then keep it part of the FI setup, or have to sell it later

Old 03-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Premier Member

A much better investment would be a budget Osiris tune (not a full dyno tune), you'll need a dyno tune for the vortech anyways and you'll be able to reuse the license and not have to pay for it again

Last edited by seymore4; 04-01-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
It depends on what kind of money you have, but if it's the money towards the spacer vs say a tune or art pipes or something like that, then the money is better spent on the latter.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Get both the spacer and the MREV2, those will take care of the intake side until you go FI. Not sure if either will benefit a SC setup but they certainly won't hurt. I would recommend HFC's as well to open up the exhaust side a little. If I were you I would wait till you get the SC before getting tuned, because I'm not aware of any shops that will retune your car for free.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM
TJI
All great input, keep it coming.

Here's the thing, I'm leaning toward having to get the 'Full' Vortech kit when I do go FI because of CARB, at least for the placard.

Honestly, I started off in a turbo civic, that started with the best of intentions, but ended up being test pipes, Hondata tune, and all frankenstein'd/parted together with a used Greddy turbo kit (didn't even have clearance for a intake tube lol). So being boosted was definitely fun, but was risky all the time since anyone could tell something was wrong from one look in the engine bay.
So being kinda spoiled coming from a lightweight boost car (albeit fwd), the G is an amazing car but I keep having that power junkie itch....it being a heavy car :-/

I was going to just wait for the Vortech, but if the MREV2 N/A is giving at least 15whp and 18tq in mid range without tune, then that sounds like it's worth it at least to keep me happy(er) until I do manage to go FI. Just still searching for results before and after FI with MREV2

I still need to read up on some more threads again to refresh my memory, in order to determine whether just the MREV2 or the spacer as well....because $500 vs $750.....if it's worth it or not.

As for the Osiris, I would be down to get aftermarket components definitely after the Vortech, but I think I should have the placard at least, so I can try to play it off

Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by TJI
I still need to read up on some more threads again to refresh my memory, in order to determine whether just the MREV2 or the spacer as well....because $500 vs $750.....if it's worth it or not.
The MREV2 and the spacer work in conjunction with one another, especially on the revup engine. Your only looking at very minimal gains with just one of the two. And don't always go off of what the manufacturer claims as far as gains.

If $250 is a major difference financially, than FI on this platform is not for you. Those with Vortech's are still capable of blowing the motor.

Originally Posted by TJI
As for the Osiris, I would be down to get aftermarket components definitely after the Vortech, but I think I should have the placard at least, so I can try to play it off
What are you saying? The car should be dyno tuned immediately after the SC is installed, Osiris is the tuning software. Thats something you want to have done before driving it.

The following users liked this post:
seymore4 (03-30-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 PM
TJI
Originally Posted by herrschaft
The MREV2 and the spacer work in conjunction with one another, especially on the revup engine. Your only looking at very minimal gains with just one of the two. And don't always go off of what the manufacturer claims as far as gains.

If $250 is a major difference financially, than FI on this platform is not for you. Those with Vortech's are still capable of blowing the motor.

What are you saying? The car should be dyno tuned immediately after the SC is installed, Osiris is the tuning software. Thats something you want to have done before driving it.
No, the $250 isn't a major difference financially, I just wanted to make sure whether they did indeed work in conjunction, and that the majority of the gain on the RevUp wasn't strictly only because of the MREV2.

Primarily from what I have been reading of people saying that the non-rev lower plenum itself is beneficial for the Revup motor, and that the plenum spacer by itself has not shown significant gains on the Revup.

As far as the Vortech tune, for the full kit I thought it came with a fuel management solution, that's what I figured to use at least initially.....am I missing something? Wait my bad, so I would still need Osiris or another SW to tune the vehicle even with Vortech HW?

Sorry, only experience/knowledge I had so far with FI applications and tuning is with Hondata.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by TJI
No, the $250 isn't a major difference financially, I just wanted to make sure whether they did indeed work in conjunction, and that the majority of the gain on the RevUp wasn't strictly only because of the MREV2.

Primarily from what I have been reading of people saying that the non-rev lower plenum itself is beneficial for the Revup motor, and that the plenum spacer by itself has not shown significant gains on the Revup.

As far as the Vortech tune, for the full kit I thought it came with a fuel management solution, that's what I figured to use at least initially.....am I missing something? Wait my bad, so I would still need Osiris or another SW to tune the vehicle even with Vortech HW?

Sorry, only experience/knowledge I had so far with FI applications and tuning is with Hondata.
I haven't researched Vortech in a while so it may come with its own tune, for best results and reliability though a dyno tune should still be done IMO. Semore4 recommended Osiris because it can be used for both N/A and FI applications. I'm not sure what the Vortech comes with.

Regarding the non-revup lower plenum, it will have gains on your car since the MREV2 is basically a re-machined version of it.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Premier Member

Most of the kits out there come with their own ecu tuning solution, and all of them suck. I know countless guys who blew up their engine because the turbo kit came with an emanage, or a split second box, or something or other and they just assumed they could plug it in and go. With FI on a G35 you will need a full dyno tune by a professional tuner (unless you know how to tune) before you should even start the car.. granted, others may argue otherwise, but to be safe there really is no other way to do it. If you do your own install I recommend getting the car towed to the dyno.

Osiris is to Nissan/Infiniti's what Hondata is to a honda. You will see good gains tuning it NA, and will require it if you are boosted. (Unless you're uber rich and want to buy a full standalone) So my suggestion to get the tune (not a full NA dyno tune, just the reflash and dialing in of the fuel maps with datalogs) was based on the fact that you're going to have to pay for it anyways once you boost... might as well enjoy it in the meantime while you save up to go FI. Bolt on parts are debatable, but the tune is not.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM
TJI
Yeah I was thinking to work with their solution initially, but it'll prolly be better to go with the Osiris from the get go then. Just would have to get the full kit for the placard then..

I think I would then plan to get the MREV2 + the 5/15 plenum spacer then.
And in the coming months go with the Vortech kit.

Seymore, what would I exactly need for the NA tune?

and then for the FI tune down the road? thanks

Old 04-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by TJI
Seymore, what would I exactly need for the NA tune? and then for the FI tune down the road? thanks
As long as you don't have an 03 you can dial in the tune with datalogs very easily. You start with a base tune for your specific ecu and mods, then record a bunch of stuff with the uprev cable and software that the tuner uses to adjust the tune and send you an update that you reflash yourself.

When you're boosted you will absolutely need to get a dyno tune, but if you are already tuned you will only have to pay for the hourly dyno tuning, and not the $300 for the license.